TimovieMan enforces it until it becomes habit

18 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Also, where did TimmoveSon learn that pro level manipulation technique? Lol

Do NOT underestimate children... ?

18 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Sounds ideal tho. Do you miss the magic piece of shadowrun when you play 2077?  (I know I know, shadowrun is the cyber punk anomaly, the genre usually doesn't have magic).

I'm *glad* there's no magic in Cyberpunk 2077. Doesn't fit with the genre, and honestly, I'm tired of dark fantasy RPGs...

• Like 1

TimovieMan: funnier than you think he is; not as funny as he thinks he is...

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Brother-in-law has been calling me a ninja these past couple of weeks, but especially yesterday.

He works nights, so his bedtime is something like 6:30 am to 2:00 pm. A couple of weeks ago, his neighbour started doing construction work on the roof, so there was banging and machinery noise from 7 am onwards.

To escape the noise on workdays, brother-in-law has been sleeping on an air mattress in our garage, with the intention of coming inside and getting in a proper bed if he wakes up after 7.30 am.

Now, our garage is not attached to the house, it's a separate building at the back. I can access it through our garden, but then I'd have to pass him while he's sleeping, and I'd still have to open the tilting garage door at the end to get my bike out, so I go around. I open the tilting garage door, unlock my bike, get it out, and close the garage door again.

I have managed to do all of this *every* time without waking him up, despite the fact that his head is literally one foot away from my bike's front wheel... ?

Yesterday, TimovieSon had a class trip to the library, and they were biking there. Instead of walking him to school, I had to get his bike out of the garage as well. To do that, I had to lean over brother-in-law and lift the bike over him while he was still fast asleep at my feet. And guess what? I still didn't wake him up... ?

Brother-in-law has stated multiple times that he has no idea how I manage it. Mrs. Movieman went to the garage once in these past weeks, simply to get a loaf of bread from the freezer - a task *far* quieter than opening a tilting garage door. She woke him up... ?

This comes to mind, because it applies in the house as well:

21192124_10155208320703509_5418614162084

• Like 3
  • That's Metal 3

Active challenges: Don't log, remain sensible | Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP 10/12 lbs in 10/12 weeks - (spreadsheet)

Old threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

Weekly weigh-in

Weight: 92.3 kg (-0.15)

Body fat: 21.9 % (-0.3)

Well, that's disappointing...

But at least it's down.

Was under 92 for most of the week, though.

Going to bring my bike into the shop for its yearly check-up. The advantage of the bike shop being pretty much in the middle of my commute home: I can drop it off, and walk the rest of the way.

Easy additional 10K steps. ?

I just came across this band in my list for contemplation for my top 2000. Never heard of them, no idea how the song wound up on my list in the first place.

But I'm getting *massive* Rage Against the Machine vibes from this. I like.

Fever 333 - Burn It

• Like 4

Weekend recap:

Friday:

Brought my bike in for its yearly maintenance, walked home. Played board games with brother-in-law in the evening, including the (new to us) game "Mantis".

MANTIS Cover Artwork

Easy and fast, but probably better with 4 or 5 players than with 3. Will have to try again with the kids, otherwise I doubt it'll reappear in our rotation often.

Saturday:

TimovieSon had a football match in the morning. Team won 1-5. Conceded goal could have been avoided, but meh, we were 0-2 up at the time and immediately scored the 1-3 afterwards.

Went to the Japanese restaurant in the evening. It was a lot more crowded than the previous time (which was on a Friday), and the courses came out rather quickly at the start. Not a problem for me, but Mrs. Movieman and the kids had more trouble... Which meant a tad more leftovers from them... which I consequently finished. ?

Watched the darts semi finals in the evening (because we had two Belgians facing each other in a major ranking tournament).

After the darts, I watched the movie that started playing, because it's one brother-in-law had recommended three years ago: "Nobody".

image.jpeg.41c4fc6f523bc47b8596111e3ab07db2.jpeg

I should have looked into it then. All I knew was "fun action movie with Bob Odenkirk". I never realised it was the gritty and fun counterpart to the cool and slick "John Wick"... ?

Done by the same director as the completely over-the-top and entirely first-person POV "Hardcore Henry".

"Nobody" was extremely entertaining, had a blast with it!

I love the tag line TV Tropes added to the film: "If John Wick isn't available... better call Saul!" ?

Sunday:

Went to vote in the municipal elections in the morning.
Went to see friends in the afternoon, so the entire day was another one of those food extravaganzas. With the Japanese food from the evening before, I think it's safe to say that the scale will tip upwards on Friday.

The evening was filled with news broadcasts of election results. Turns out that the new mayor of my city will be a former classmate I got along well with. I think he'll be quite capable, so while I didn't vote for his party, I'm not opposed to the idea at all.

Watched Belgian Mike De Decker win the darts World Grand Prix as the underdog against favourite Luke Humphries.

Monday:

Worked from home. It's "Cyber Security Awareness Month" at work, and they're holding a "meme" contest and giving out prizes for the best entry. I made this:

image.jpeg.d0553f1b79bfc2d8540f62e0fa8d1d8c.jpeg

Always nice when I'm being paid to browse the web for memes. ?

Only found this one as a T-shirt, so had to look for a fitting picture and put the text on it. During office hours. ?

Was raining all day, so went to physio by car for once. Made up for the lack of steps by going for a walk during TimovieDaughter's football practice in the evening.
Left wrist has improved enough for the physio to no longer be necessary. Will need to keep up the wrist exercises, though.

With the Nick Cave concert in two weeks, I've started my prep work. His set list has been the same for every gig in the tour so far, but the encores differ slightly. Still, should be a long concert: 18 main songs, and 4 or 5 encores (with 26 songs in my prep list).

Opening act is a band called "The Murder Capital". Seems fitting for Nick Cave.

Here's one of their songs:

The Murder Capital - Ethel

• Like 6

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Worked from home. It's "Cyber Security Awareness Month" at work, and they're holding a "meme" contest and giving out prizes for the best entry. I made this:

image.jpeg.d0553f1b79bfc2d8540f62e0fa8d1d8c.jpeg

Words cannot describe how much I love this

• Thanks 1

We are not sinners trespassing in the garden of an angry God.

We are prodigals come home; fully seen and deeply loved.

Spoiler

20 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Went to the Japanese restaurant in the evening. It was a lot more crowded than the previous time (which was on a Friday), and the courses came out rather quickly at the start. Not a problem for me, but Mrs. Movieman and the kids had more trouble... Which meant a tad more leftovers from them... which I consequently finished. ?

Leftovers are always a delightful discovery the next day.

The evening was filled with news broadcasts of election results. Turns out that the new mayor of my city will be a former classmate I got along well with. I think he'll be quite capable, so while I didn't vote for his party, I'm not opposed to the idea at all.

That's sickeningly moderate of you. Are you sure he isn't evil incarnate and sure to lead your city to ruin?

Monday:

Lol very memeworthy. And surprisingly cosy.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

22 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YAY!!!!!

I had postponed several DailyDare exercises because I was afraid for my left wrist.
Started doing them again yesterday - including the 10 dragon push-ups that had halted me in the first place. ?

No wrist issues! ?

19 hours ago, Whisper said:

Words cannot describe how much I love this

Thanks!

Stole the line from the web, but only found it on T-shirts, and wanted it to be an actual meme gif... ?

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Leftovers are always a delightful discovery the next day.

The next day??? ?

f0610108-d61d-4cb2-957a-d9ebfe4a70c7_tex

That's sickeningly moderate of you.

Moderate is good, no?

To quote the excellent black comedy "The Last Supper":

It's true. You have some harmful people on the extreme left and the extreme right.
But I suggest that the more extreme those opposites get, the more moderate this society becomes.
Because when you average out all those extremes, you come up with a society that's anchored in the middle...                   
...and that's what we all want, isn't it?
A society where all of us can live.
All races, all religions, all views, living together, forging ahead as one.

Ron Perlman FTW!

Are you sure he isn't evil incarnate and sure to lead your city to ruin?

No, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. ?

Besides, you may be overestimating the power a mayor actually has, especially in a city with just over 30K inhabitants... ?

Lol very memeworthy. And surprisingly cosy.

Just what I was going for... ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Moderate is good, no?

Immoderates would say definitely not. But should I listen to them?

To quote the excellent black comedy "The Last Supper":

Makes sense, makes sense. I can't think of any possible objection to that.

Besides, you may be overestimating the power a mayor actually has, especially in a city with just over 30K inhabitants... ?

Perhaps the best politician is in fact one with limited power.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

43 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Only in moderation

A most immoderately excellent response. I shall take it under consideration.

• Haha 2

The kids had a day off from school yesterday. While TimovieSon spent a lot of time playing outside, he also spent several hours on the Playstation, playing Fortnite.

I watched him get a "Victory Royale" (where he was the last man standing in a 100-player free for all) no less than FIVE (!!!) times in a row, and his streak ended in a sixth game with him finishing second (against an opponent who only had 6 HP left at the moment of victory). Made me go Keanu Reeves.

keanu-reeves-whoa.gif

And it's not like TimovieSon is playing conservatively and avoiding battles to get as far as possible, no. He's pretty gung-ho and racked up kills in the double digits in every game. ?

Heck, in one of the games he won, he had a whopping 23 kills. That's practically a quarter of the entire playing field!!! ?

No wonder he's kicking my ass in FC24. Racing games are the only ones in which I still have the advantage.

And puzzle games, but those are far more up my alley than his.

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 1

Got the news yesterday that my bike's yearly check-up was finished and that I could go and collect it again. Unfortunately it was too late to collect it yesterday, and both today and tomorrow I have to be home rather early, which complicates things.

So instead of going to work with my regular bike like I did on Tuesday, I *walked* to the bike shop (which is more or less halfway on the route to work), and collected it before work.

I'm at 11K steps for the day, and I still have to go on my lunch break walk... ?

Since I'll get enough mileage on the road to Mordor this week, it's high time I update for last week:

Walk to Mordor

Distance walked last week: 37.12 km (23.07 miles)
Road to Mordor: total 1434.7 miles - Rauros to Mount Doom - Mar. 2 - Day 7 since Rauros

Gollum’s path winds through the mists, turning to find the way between “pools, and soft mires.” No birds.
As mists rise (ca. 10 a.m.), they stop for day in a reed-thicket (Mar. 1).
Enter the heart of the Dead Marshes.

287482e25ec162cb15c48eee720b8eb7814e11a2

Round the west end of a wide stagnant mere. Air is “black and heavy to breathe.”
Wisps of lights begin to appear: “candles of corpses.” Another wide mere extends west from there.
Sam falls, sees dead faces in the water (from Battle of the Last Alliance).
d5cfdf3402adfa896efebbdf8298b9d287f099bb

They almost crawl as they founder through the treacherous mire.
Reach firmer ground (ca. 4 a.m.). Gollum trots down “a long lane between high reeds,” then stops and sniffs.
Gollum’s uneasiness grows. Hear cry of Nazgûl. Rush of wind: lights go out. Moon peaks through clouds. See Nazgûl. Gollum cowers and refuses to go on until moon is low.

90778763c63c71a8b7b63eaf68d27d2fe03622b4

Dawn. End of the marshes. Clear and cold. Mountains tower ahead across wastelands. Hide “under a black stone” during gray day (Mar. 2).
Leave when full dark.
Cross area of dry peat, broken by flats of cracked, dry mud. Land slopes slowly east. Ring grows heavier. Sam’s mood darkens.

On the way to the bike shop, there was a part where I had to cross a bridge over a highway. There's a bike path, but no pedestrian path.

The parts where I'm walking on the grassy verge kinda make me feel like I'm "roaming the land".

So what happens when a film geek does that? He starts thinking of the end credits of The Incredible Hulk, and the opening scenes of First Blood. And so he briefly has Joe Harnell's "The Lonely Man" playing in his head, before switching to Dan Hill's "It's a Long Road".

Can't think of anything more fitting to post for today.

Dan Hill - It's a Long Road

• Like 3

This made me laugh:

scientific-motivation-v0-qtsogxewsk4d1.j

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • That's Metal 1

• Like 4