Forums are back in action! ×

Final Fantasy hate?

Ghost

A little short, but why so much hate towards Final Fantasy? More specifically, everything after and including X onwards?

Sure XIII was a tad linear but it wasn't bad. I've seen great debates raged over the subject, and wanted some other opinions.

People hate ffx? Unacceptable!

So true about it being unacceptable. I really enjoyed it, FFX-2 on the other hand ... So it might not have been the best FF game, but on the other hand, it could have been so much worse.

I haven't play anything pre FFX, only FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII (I also have advent children - you know the movie) but I enjoy playing them. I probably enjoyed playing FFX-2 the lest but in saying that, I don't see it as a waste of time, and did get some enjoyment out of it.

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Agreed - I quite enjoyed FFX, and I have played some of the older ones. The people that don't like FFX are snobbish because the main character is a happy-go-lucky guy instead of a brooding bastard, methinks :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I think the hate comes from the fact that FF7 is so flat out awesome that the others haven't come close to living up to it. One of the things people loved was the completely explorable globe with the airshipe in FF7, the games before it, and FF8 if I remember correctly. FF9 might have had it too. Once that concept was removed for the linear ground maps and the lack of airships/boats/exploration vehicles in FF10 and beyond, I think it ruined it for a lot of people. I know I have much less fun without it and have really been ejoying FF1 on my iPhone.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I think the hate comes from the fact that FF7 is so flat out awesome that the others haven't come close to living up to it. One of the things people loved was the completely explorable globe with the airshipe in FF7, the games before it, and FF8 if I remember correctly. FF9 might have had it too. Once that concept was removed for the linear ground maps and the lack of airships/boats/exploration vehicles in FF10 and beyond, I think it ruined it for a lot of people. I know I have much less fun without it and have really been ejoying FF1 on my iPhone.

^Nailed it. The great thing about the FF series was open exploration and the side quests you could find by doing it. The linear progression scheme of today's FF games is too constricting. It is repetitive and dull. Go here. Kill this thing. Go to next area. FF7-9 had great open areas where you can explore and find new things (sometimes hidden characters) that made it worth playing. If I wanted to defeat monsters repetitively I would play a FPS.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The last FF I played was FFX and I never completed it. I wouldn't say that I hated it, but it was just a bit of a departure from the normal FF's I was used to. The voice-overs kinda drove me crazy, as Benjsec said, the Blitzball was not fun to me. Something about the game just felt off. I still bought the newer ones (FF X-2 and FFXII), but never got around to playing them. I still haven't tried 13 yet. I also played the FFXI MMO for awhile and actually enjoyed it.

I guess I am a FF snob (:P Mir!) because none of the new ones hold up to the old ones. FFVI is king, FFVII is the best of the 'non-classic' ones, FFVIII was kinda painful, and FFIX gave me faith in the series all over again.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Something about the game just felt off.

Boom! That's it! That's what 'felt off'.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I played pretty much all the American ones. 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10-2, 11, and 12. Personally, I think 11 is what really ruined Single Player versions for me. You just can't compare the expansive-ness of a MMORPG with a linear single player version. It just isn't the same. Plus I think after 6, the shift started to go much more into the Graphical Development of games instead of the story line. 6 was the best storyline ever as far as RPG's go. 7 was a great story and was mind blowing as far as graphics went (when it was released). Then too me, the stories just started going down-hill. I never got nearly as involved in the storyline for 8, 9, 10, 10-2, or 12. I just never cared about the characters or hated the villians. I remember hating Sephiroth so bad I wanted to break my TV.

Love me some Final Fantasy! 10 was freaking awesome. My hubby totally replays it at least once a year which makes me jealous so I do too hehe. I have started 9 so many time and never got to the end. I did enjoy the traveling troop story. Never tried 11 unfortunately. We own 12 and have started that several times but never completed it. I thought the hunts and really liked the license system. I tried 12 and it frustrated me greatly. Never tried 13 though it looks very pretty.

[TABLE=width: 500]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DragonBorne Adventurer

STR 4.5 DEX 4 STA 4.5 CON 5.25 WIS 8 CHA 3

"Time for some thrilling heroics." Jayne Cobb

Current Challenge My Fitness Pal

[/TABLE]

I remember crying when Aeris died, and Sephiroth oh man how many times I wanted to kill him with a rusty spork. final fantasy 7 was so great. I remember watching my dad play ff (god only knows what number) on Super NES. Since FF8 (with Squall?) I no longer desired to play any of the games. The explorable worlds and going back and forth over patches of land to get the right chocobo so you can try for the elusive gold or black chocobo were maddening but amazing.

DoodleDwarven Adventurer Level 2= STR-3 | DEX-2 | STA-2 | CON-3 | WIS-2 (+1) | CHA-2 (+1)

When Life pushes Me.. I Push Back Harder

Current Challenge: Doodle's finds her spirit again. (Level 2) | First challenge: Level 1: finding the canvas

Leader of The Mighty Adventuring CompanionsMyFitnessPal | fitocracy

FFX was awesome, FFX-2 sucked. FFXIII was horrible. But by far the worst was FF7.

People like you make me want to abuse my ban hammer... But yeah, some people really don't like FF7. Their reasons always suck though.

I haven't played any pre-7, and have just started going back. I'm playing 1 now on the phone and I think 2 more are available on the phone as well.

After FF7, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is Final Fantasy Tactics. It is the only video game that came close to having me connect to and care about the characters like I did in FF7. I replay tactics once every couple of years and rebought a PS2 a few years ago to do it. My wife always wants me to throw the PS2 out, but then I always have to explain to her that I wouldn't be able to rpelay FFT again.

I'm currently a XBOX console gamer, I don't own a PS3 and I only plan on getting 1 of the next gen systems. I've e-mailed Sony repeatedly telling them if they want me back, the only way to do it would probably be to have a FF7 remake or to make all the final fantasies downloadable.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

People like you make me want to abuse my ban hammer... But yeah, some people really don't like FF7. Their reasons always suck though.

I haven't played any pre-7, and have just started going back. I'm playing 1 now on the phone and I think 2 more are available on the phone as well.

After FF7, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is Final Fantasy Tactics. It is the only video game that came close to having me connect to and care about the characters like I did in FF7. I replay tactics once every couple of years and rebought a PS2 a few years ago to do it. My wife always wants me to throw the PS2 out, but then I always have to explain to her that I wouldn't be able to rpelay FFT again.

I'm currently a XBOX console gamer, I don't own a PS3 and I only plan on getting 1 of the next gen systems. I've e-mailed Sony repeatedly telling them if they want me back, the only way to do it would probably be to have a FF7 remake or to make all the final fantasies downloadable.

I'm going to do my best to refrain from an immature comment about being 'hammered' *cough* and just state that I played FF7 through to the end and wasn't especially 'moved' by it. It wasn't a game that stuck with me, nor a storyline I felt affected by. I felt no connection to the characters or the plot, so in the end, it was just.. meh. I played FFX when I was only 16/17, I felt more of a connection to it than to 7, especially by the end. I've tried replaying 7 a few times, but still don't see the draw everyone else does.

Tactics was glorious as well! 7 and Tactics are hands down the best.

FFX was awesome, FFX-2 sucked. FFXIII was horrible. But by far the worst was FF7.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4212[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4213[/ATTACH]
lol Serious. Dead serious.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSILIx42pgOoVqxLo5AovptCBRwGpya44vuewBvTw4Z_93MbFLVJmwEojvs

:)

I'd be interested in your opinion on 7 after you've played 1-6. I find 3, 4, 5, and 6 all superior to 7. 1 is great, and 2 is just stupid. I find 7 to be overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's just doesn't appeal to me the way the older ones (and 9) do.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSILIx42pgOoVqxLo5AovptCBRwGpya44vuewBvTw4Z_93MbFLVJmwEojvs

:)

Not even close to the arguments on 8. People either love it or hate it. I used to mod a Final Fantasy forum back in the day and we had to shut down a number of 8 threads because the flaming got out of hand.

After FF7, which I haven't seen mentioned yet, is Final Fantasy Tactics. It is the only video game that came close to having me connect to and care about the characters like I did in FF7. I replay tactics once every couple of years and rebought a PS2 a few years ago to do it. My wife always wants me to throw the PS2 out, but then I always have to explain to her that I wouldn't be able to rpelay FFT again

Tactics! I completely forgot about Tactics! Such a great game.

Now do I hear a woohoo for Mystic Quest? Anyone? Anyone? I said Final Fantasy Mystic Quest .... *crickets* :smug:

I'd be interested in your opinion on 7 after you've played 1-6. I find 3, 4, 5, and 6 all superior to 7. 1 is great, and 2 is just stupid. I find 7 to be overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it's just doesn't appeal to me the way the older ones (and 9) do.

You and I? Same thoughts. Love the pre 7 FF days, but I do have to say that I loved FF7! I do count it as overrated, but only because it was the first FF for some, and therefore thought of as being the greatest of all time just for that reason. I don't agree with that, but I do love it. So many classes in college were skipped because of FF7

Not even close to the arguments on 8. People either love it or hate it. I used to mod a Final Fantasy forum back in the day and we had to shut down a number of 8 threads because the flaming got out of hand.

Agreed again. I could not get into 8 for the life of me. Just wanted to toss the CD's out the window, then 9 came along and I was like, "FINALLY!!!"

I REALLY liked the card game in 8, played to my slight OCDish impulses.

500 / 330 / 625

I've heard great things about Tactics, but have only played VII and Final Fantasy Legend for Game Boy. The main argument I hear against VII is people playing it after it's been hyped up a ton to them and it falls short of expectation. As much as I love the game I can't argue with that.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Archived