Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, it's one of those book that every year and so I absolutely wanna re-read.

Before that, I read Ariosto's L'Orlando Furioso, a medieval epic poem.

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

currently on Lolita (Nabokov).  

Just finished East of Eden (Steinbeck). Next will probably be Something Wicked This Way Comes (Bradbury).

• Like 1
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

This is going to seem crazy but I'll list them out. This is a list of books I am currently reading (or working on reading I should say).

The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli

The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss (re-reading)

The Way of Kings, by Brandon Sanderson (trying to get into this but ti's not working)

High Mage: The Spellmonger Series, by Terry Mancour

Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls (because my wife says I need to cry because I'm emotionally constipated)

Waiting on a few new releases as well.... I read too much I think...

Jay, Half Orc Rebel

Chaotic Neutral

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will dilineate and define you" -Thomas Jefferson
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." -Thomas Edison

I just finished The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker, and it's amazing. Go read it.

I did as you commanded, and you were right, it is great! Loved it.

Also read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, also fantastic. I had a really hard time reading The Ocean at the End of the Lane, but Graveyard was much better for me.

• Like 1

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I'm currently reading lord of chaos (wheel of time), prelude to foundation (asimov), a day in the life of ivan denisovich, mister b gone (barker), and do androids dream of electric sheep (dick).

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Working my way through the Shannara series (listening to them on the phone). about 3/4 of the way done with the 3rd book of the Voage of the Jerelle Shannara

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I'm struggling through the dark tower series. Have to force myself to read it. Not a big fan, but once I start a book series I have to see how it ends...

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

whaaaat? but those books are awesome! (not being sarcastic, I really love them)

See it was suggested to me by some people on here.

I don't know what it is, but I think it has something to do with Stephen King's writing style, and less the characters. I think its a pretty unique situation and stuff. But I just feel like you never get anywhere in the books. I call him an A$$**** because he will take you just to the point where osomething big is going to happen, then takes you back in time to give another perspective. And thats cool for me like, once maybe twice. But its like he does it all the time!

I can't put my thumb on it but for me I just cant get into it 100%. At times I will be enjoying it admittedly. Then I get hit by something and ask myself "Why am I reading this again?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

its fine, not everyone's tastes will be the same. me? I love SK's style. And the Dark tower (other than being epic in its own right) is the glue that links pretty much every other book he has written together. oh well, at least you've read it (or part of it), so I can totally respect your opinion. (hey I can't stand Cervantes, he bores me to death… so we've all got an opinion) :D

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

I'm struggling through the dark tower series. Have to force myself to read it. Not a big fan, but once I start a book series I have to see how it ends...

How far into the series are you? Once you get past the first 2 books you're pretty much invested in the characters enough to overlook King's style. (Eddie Dean is my hero...as much as I love Roland, Eddie will always be my favorite). But if you're on like the 4th book and still aren't really feeling it, maybe the series just isn't for you? Personally I love Steven King and The Stand and the Dark Tower series are my favorites from him. But I also tried to be true to my nerdiness and read the Lord of the Rings as well because every bookworm I've ever known has read it. I made it through the Hobbit, half through the Fellowship of the Ring and then said screw it and saw the movies lol.

Good luck with the Dark Tower! I hope you stick with it and enjoy it!

its fine, not everyone's tastes will be the same. me? I love SK's style. And the Dark tower (other than being epic in its own right) is the glue that links pretty much every other book he has written together. oh well, at least you've read it (or part of it), so I can totally respect your opinion. (hey I can't stand Cervantes, he bores me to death… so we've all got an opinion) :D

I am a huge Stephen King fan but I can't seem to get myself to read the Dark Tower series.I hear that it's good. I have read a lot from him but I always seem to pass those up when I am looking for something new to read. 

• Like 1

Voltaire's Candide, original version (French). I read it eons ago in my native tongue, but I was in high school and really didn't understand much. Now I grasp something more, and plus it helps improving my French.

• Like 1

• Ladygazza  :lemo: 

Race: Lightfoot Halfling | Class: Assassin

[Level: 1 | STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 1 ]

​Current quest: Lemons!

Battle log: Le cahier de Mme Pie aka The Ladygazza

Accountabilibuddies: Aspiring Assassin Apprentice Accountabilibuddies

Finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls!!! Really a good read. Such a mind-boggling story... really made me rethink my own childhood and put a lot of things in perspective! Highly recommend. It's a memoir, but it reads like a novel and is really compelling. Goes to show you that truth can be stranger than fiction.

Challenge | Twitter: @jarnold427 | Obsession

New Goal Progress

0%
0%

Start: 190   |   Goal: 175

Goal Achieved!!!

100%
100%

Start: 225   |   Goal: 190

Battle Log: Operation Avenger