Forums are back in action! ×

What's everyone reading?

I just finished The Shadow of Albion by Andre Norton and Rosemary Edgehill and immediately began the sequel The Leopard in Exile. They are fantastic reads! They're predicated on a "what-if" scenario of history about if there were Stuart kings on the throne of England, and none of the Hanovers took power (and the colonies never had a reason to rebel). There's magic and intrigue and court drama - part cloak-and-dagger, part high fantasy. I give it my full recommendation! :)

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

I'm sweeping through the latest three of Brad Thor's thrillers.  Found out I was a couple of editions behind, so I picked them all up on a lump from the library and I'm annihilating them during my current and next sets of night shifts.

After that... I'll have to consult the Master Reading List!

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Finished the last of my Brad Thor books, although I think there is a new one out that I haven't tracked down yet, and I'm onto William Dietrich's Blood of the Reich which is a Tomb Raidery archaeology adventure taking place simultaneously from three perspectives, that of a Nazi expedition to Tibet and a similar American expedition both set in the 1930s and a modern team of adventurers following the earlier expeditions' path in the modern day.  Almost done now, but definitely an enjoyable yarn so far.

Next up is The Tombs by Clive Cussler in keeping with the archaeology-adventure theme.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Working on Robert Howard's Original Conan stories (He's a fellow Alum of Howard Payne University, Sting 'em!), next it will be Orson Scott Card's Children of the Mind.

• Like 4

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Just got into Citizen Soldiers, just because I enjoyed Band of Brothers so much.

Finished last week: 1356, about the battle of Poiters 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

New around here. Love seeing folks with similar tastes and learning about new books and authors. 

I typically have three books going at any given time. Right now, I'm reading:

• The Three: Sarah Lotz
  • Creative Schools: Sir Ken Robinson
  • Scary Close: Donald Miller
  • Like 1

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Working on Robert Howard's Original Conan stories (He's a fellow Alum of Howard Payne University, Sting 'em!), next it will be Orson Scott Card's Children of the Mind.

What did you think of Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide?  Those are among my very favorite books-- Children of the Mind provided a mostly satisfying conclusion, which is all it needed to be, but was not nearly at the same level of incredible (in my opinion).

Jess the Adventurer

"jess!" on MYZONE * Goodreads

Just finished Children of the mind, I actually liked it better than Xenocide and as well as Speaker for the Dead. I liked Ender's game the best of the four. I'm gonna continue with the series. My friend who's really into the Enderverse says the Shadow series is even better, so I'm looking forward to that. I thought the solution at the end of Xenocide (the FTL travel) was a bit of a Deus ex machina for me. The treatment of it in Children of the mind was better, and I agree it was a good conclusion to the series.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I recently finished Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and it was amazing! I highly recommend it.

I started Avalon by Mindee Arnett, but I haven't touched it lately. I hadn't gotten too far into it, so I'll end up starting it again. I try my best to give books at least the first two chapters to hold my interest. So far, I haven't been completely pulled in to it, which is unfortunate. I had read a lot of great pre-release reviews. It's been compared to Firefly but with teens as the crew, so fingers crossed!

I was attempting to read through my library in order by author's last name, but that miiiight have to change. While Enclave (Ann Aguirre) was good, the next one I had on my shelf was Starcrossed (Josephine Angelini). To sum it up? Twilight but with Greek/Roman/Spartan flair. Of course the sadistic side of me feels the need to finish the series just to see what happens to these kids. X___X

I'm gonna continue with the series. My friend who's really into the Enderverse says the Shadow series is even better, so I'm looking forward to that. 

The Shadow series is good, but I don't know about "better". It felt quite different to me, less philosophical and more political. It's been a while, so I may be remembering inaccurately. Absolutely worth reading. I love that universe. 

• Like 1

This is what is required of you: to act justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

You can safely assume you have created God in your own image when it turns out he hates all the same people you do. - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies

Like pirates, sharks, monkeys, and ghosts, ninjas will never not be exciting. - Danny Wallace, Yes Man

Just finished Children of the mind, I actually liked it better than Xenocide and as well as Speaker for the Dead. I liked Ender's game the best of the four. I'm gonna continue with the series. My friend who's really into the Enderverse says the Shadow series is even better, so I'm looking forward to that. I thought the solution at the end of Xenocide (the FTL travel) was a bit of a Deus ex machina for me. The treatment of it in Children of the mind was better, and I agree it was a good conclusion to the series.

The Shadow series is good, but I don't know about "better". It felt quite different to me, less philosophical and more political. It's been a while, so I may be remembering inaccurately. Absolutely worth reading. I love that universe. 

Yeah, you're right about the deus ex machina... I think I just loved the Path planet and characters, while splitting Ender into him/Peter/Valentine put me off.  I adore the series overall.

I definitely agree about Shadow series being more political, less philosophical-- I couldn't get into it at all (except the first one because it's Ender's Game retold), but it depends what you're into.  I know plenty of people that love love it.

Jess the Adventurer

"jess!" on MYZONE * Goodreads

The High Druid of Shannara Trilogy - Terry Brooks

Bonhoeffer - Eric Metaxas

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Hit like for reading a book about Bonhoeffer.

I've just started and already decided that he was a remarkable individual. Clearly I have been remiss in not learning more about him sooner.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

I've just started and already decided that he was a remarkable individual. Clearly I have been remiss in not learning more about him sooner.

Amazing man with an amazing story. You've picked a particularly good biography of him. Enjoy!

Amazing man with an amazing story. You've picked a particularly good biography of him. Enjoy!

Indeed, I am!

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

Back Flip

Never compromise.

Just started reading The Magician King by Lev Grossman. 

I'm also learning more about Druidry, reading The Druidry Handbook by John Michael Greer. I've also got Druid Mysteries by Phillip Carr-Gomm and Bonewit's Essential Guide to Druidism by Isaac Bonewits on the shelf.

Dwarf Adventurer | LVL: 0 

| STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 |

| CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 |

Current challenge (7/27 - 9/6)

Quest #1 - beginner bodyweight workout 3x each week

0%
0%

Quest #2 - cook 18/21 meals each week

0%
0%

Tearing through Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.