Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

I was perusing the threads and found this one. Of course I was immediately drawn to it because (like the character I rock as my avatar and username) I'm a lesbian. I've been out for almost 5 years now and am really happy living my life with my beautiful partner.

It's great that NerdFittness has a space like this. The same way that nerds like to find other nerds and get excited to find another one of their own. It's also nice for gays to find other gays, because of all the shared experiences that we have.

I'll try to look through all of these posts, but it is a lot.

I just wanted to say "hey, I'm here. I'm queer. Let's all have a beer."

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Just popping in to get this awesome thread on my content updates.

I identify as straight, but am very active in the gay community here in Portland, Oregon with a focus on equal rights for all.

My aunt that helped raise me from a young age is gay and has been one of the biggest positive influences on my life to date.

Level 2 Assassin

STR-2         CON-2

DEX-2        WIS-2.75 

STA-1.5       CHA-2

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."

It's because those things are awesome.

It's more because of my want to be a badass, but it also just happens to align with some lesbian stereotypes. I also have my very own U-Haul story (sans U-Haul).

Wait a minute... My wife likes beer AND mojitos...

shocked-batman-reaction-meme.jpg

If she has seen your man-bits and not run away screaming I'm sure you are going to be fine.

Still... LOL

It's more because of my want to be a badass, but it also just happens to align with some lesbian stereotypes. I also have my very own U-Haul story (sans U-Haul).

Badassery is a completely acceptable reason. Ooooh u-haul stories... I have some, but all with boys. Apparently my thing is straight girls. 

Level 2 || Bespectacled Viking

STR 4.5 | DEX 2 | STA 3 CON 2 WIS 2.5 CHA 2 

Blawwwg

Challenge 2 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Challenge 1 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

I am vaguely aware of U-Haul as a company in America used by those moving house. I have no idea what a U-Haul story is. Please explain!

It stems from a joke:

What does a lesbian bring on the second date?

A U-Haul.

... because we as a people tend to be commitment happy. I guess I don't have much of a story, but I did buy my first home with my partner within a year of knowing her. We moved very quickly. We are now over 4 years into the relationship and still deeply in love with each other, but it still started like a typical gay lady relationship.

I was very aware of this tendency too and I tried very hard to fight it. I think it is just the result of having two ladies in a relationship.

It stems from a joke:

What does a lesbian bring on the second date?

A U-Haul.

... because we as a people tend to be commitment happy. I guess I don't have much of a story, but I did buy my first home with my partner within a year of knowing her. We moved very quickly. We are now over 4 years into the relationship and still deeply in love with each other, but it still started like a typical gay lady relationship.

I was very aware of this tendency too and I tried very hard to fight it. I think it is just the result of having two ladies in a relationship.

To be fair, my queer husband and I got knocked up two weeks after dating and have been together 11 years :P Lesbians bring u-hauls, I bring... something witty. Shit. I didn't think that out...

• Like 1

Level 2 || Bespectacled Viking

STR 4.5 | DEX 2 | STA 3 CON 2 WIS 2.5 CHA 2 

Blawwwg

Challenge 2 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Challenge 1 - Dr. Who's Sidekicks

Ally here

Was picked on a lot in highschool because I wasn't sexual and wasn't lusting after every cheerleader or really anyone at all., so pretty much everyone thought I was gay, stupid stereotypes. So I'm in full support of everyone being happy and being able to share their love.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I love beer, I play softball and ice hockey, and I'm learning to ride a motorcycle. Sometimes stereotypes are made for a reason.

+1

I didn't believe on stereotypes - I was strongly against the lesbian stereotypes - until I "discovered" myself cutting my hair, wearing T-shirt or shirts + trousers + jackets (hello tomboy style), drinking beer and so on.

Of course everybody has his own individuality - I don't like LGBT books, e. g. - but it's true that in many occasions in one way or another we follow some stereotypes. It's useful to recognize each other.

Human: Ranger

5 STR | 3 DEX | 5 STA | 4 CON | 2 WIS | 3 CHA

Current challenge: keep it simple

battle log | epic quest

Last challenges: ΜΟΛΩΠΛΑΒΕ | prepare to a half-marathon

MEMENTO MORI

Ally here

Was picked on a lot in highschool because I wasn't sexual and wasn't lusting after every cheerleader or really anyone at all., so pretty much everyone thought I was gay, stupid stereotypes. So I'm in full support of everyone being happy and being able to share their love.

picard_clapping.gif

+1

I didn't believe on stereotypes - I was strongly against the lesbian stereotypes - until I "discovered" myself cutting my hair, wearing T-shirt or shirts + trousers + jackets (hello tomboy style), drinking beer and so on.

Of course everybody has his own individuality - I don't like LGBT books, e. g. - but it's true that in many occasions in one way or another we follow some stereotypes. It's useful to recognize each other.

I think sometimes we struggle against stereotypes because they are taboo (and rightfully so), but you have to be yourself. We are all special snowflakes. We may share similarities with sub-cultures we are a part of but that doesn't make us all the same.

...and HOORAY BEER! (shut your ears my delicate Paleo flowers)

+1

well while ill argue that we should definitely not use stereotypes to identify eachother that does not mean we should not do something we enjoy just because its a stereotype. 

I have a black friend who really enjoys fried chicken and he tells me how people always look at him funny because he enjoys it but that should not be the case its not fair why should we attribute fried chicken to black people everyone likes fried chicken its delicious.

Level 5 Idiot Assassin 

STR: 22   DEX: 11  STA: 14  CON: 10  WIS: 0  CHA: 14

Just wanted to pop in and say this thread is awesome!  I only just got around to exploring The Pub threads, and I'm so glad to see something like this here.  I'm an ally (I volunteer with HRC regularly), so I don't have much to contribute... but I just wanted to say how great it is that something like this can exist in an exercise forum!  Hooray NF!

Is there nothing this site doesn't have?? I'm lesbian and I totally love that this is site is so respectful!

Oh and as for stereotypes, I can't say I haven't had my fair share. I've given up on cornrows and I've been in a braided Mohawk stage for 4 years. I wear feminine yet tomboyish clothes, and I'm in the middle of getting a motorcycle.

I was often picked on because I wasn't lusting after any guys during my middle school years, and I didn't lose my virginity until the 9th grade (I hated it!)

I also told my girlfriend I loved her less than 2 weeks into our relationship. So yes, very commitment happy lol.

"The conversion is complete!" - My wonderful girlfriend of 2 years :D

• Like 1

How old is ninth grade? I find the UK school year system confusing enough!

In any case, you were probably quicker off the mark than I was - I didn't even have my first kiss until age 20, and I finally went all the way at 21.

I got a bit slutty for a while after that... I regret it now. I was not slutty enough! :-)

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

How old is ninth grade? I find the UK school year system confusing enough!

In any case, you were probably quicker off the mark than I was - I didn't even have my first kiss until age 20, and I finally went all the way at 21.

I got a bit slutty for a while after that... I regret it now. I was not slutty enough! :-)

You're about 14 going on 15 when you start the 9th grade, which is also the first year of high school. Personally, I think 15 is too young for sex, especially since I wasn't informed and I was pressured to do it by my "friends", because I wasn't fitting in. Most of them had slept with at least 3 guys!

Slutty stages!? Hell no!!....oooh who am I kidding, I've been there too lol

Just passing by to say hello to old and new fabulous rebels

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

You're about 14 going on 15 when you start the 9th grade, which is also the first year of high school. Personally, I think 15 is too young for sex, especially since I wasn't informed and I was pressured to do it by my "friends", because I wasn't fitting in. Most of them had slept with at least 3 guys!

Slutty stages!? Hell no!!....oooh who am I kidding, I've been there too lol

Now wait…aren't we SUPPOSED TO go through slutty stages….?

Like - Preschool, something, something, puberty, slutty stage, fun, trying to figure out how to grow up, continue to try to figure out how to grow up, etc...

I have chosen to believe in myself.