Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

THE MOST AWESOME!

Library sciences is a graduate study course focused on the operation, maintenance and other studies related to information studies, libraries, and archives. What I'm saying is: I'm studying to be a librarian. XD

You'd fit perfectly into my favorite webcomic (quesitonablecontent.com), ever heard of it?

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Dandziette reminds me that I should check out to see if any of the libraries are hiring; also I wouldn't just focus on getting a job in a library if you can't find one when you finally graduate, I use a lot of skills while working in Administration, keeping track of the Archives and also data mining for other various projects I do.

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

ooooo i like this idea! id love to see your results, if you dont mind sharing them? 

Sure. :) I tried the teardrops, but I don't have fabulous MS Paint skills, so I went with a skatter graph style thing instead.

genderbreadjan15_zpsc87ab604.jpg

is it time for the queer webcomics discussion? cos im totally down with discussing queer friendly webcomics. heres one that wrecked my shit: http://www.khaoskomix.com/story/komix/charlies-story.

I heart http://www.robot-hugs.com/

• Like 1

Dandziette reminds me that I should check out to see if any of the libraries are hiring; also I wouldn't just focus on getting a job in a library if you can't find one when you finally graduate, I use a lot of skills while working in Administration, keeping track of the Archives and also data mining for other various projects I do.

Oh yes. I look for jobs in those fields too. : )

But thank you for the reminder. It's good to be reminded that my options aren't limited.

I do a lot of volunteering at my local archives and museums with my history degree.

High Elf | Scout | Level 3
[ STR 3.5 | DEX 3 | STA 7 | CON 3 | WIS 7 | CHA 4 ]
Second Challenge | Battle Log

"I do not intend to make excuses."

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I'm an avid reader and have been since 2006.

"And she blinded me with her library science!"

a89c3d7bdeb006bd1e27a63b9137593f.jpg

Oh good! I have been from around 2011, spent a week working through the archive. No I have to catch up in spurts because I worry about going to a website called "questionablecontent.net" on my work computer, which is where I read my webcomics typically, so QC has to wait until I have some free time. Just got caught up the other day after getting about 9 months behind.

is it time for the queer webcomics discussion? cos im totally down with discussing queer friendly webcomics. heres one that wrecked my shit: http://www.khaoskomix.com/story/komix/charlies-story.

I'll have to check these out. SFW or no? Detemines how long it'll take me to get to them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

From the same creator of Scandinavia and the World, Humon, did another webcomic called Niels and Gang.

http://nielsg.com/

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I appreciated a lot also Tom and Jamie stories. Maybe because I am closer to theirs? Anyway, the author did a really good job on each story. I fully support hitlionsoul recommendation

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

Best Friends and TJ & Amal are both great, though I believe TJ & Amal has a few NSFW bits.
I have yet to find a queer ladies one I liked that didn't use terrible over played tropes though. And I'm not a huge fan of NSFW anything, really. :/

Queer comics for the win!
Shadoweyes is a great graphic novel series I've been reading via my work.

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

I appreciated a lot also Tom and Jamie stories. Maybe because I am closer to theirs? Anyway, the author did a really good job on each story. I fully support hitlionsoul recommendation 

oh it definitely works better if you read it from the start, that's just a link i had saved to send to a friend. 

trans comics are a dime a dozen, but some ones i enjoy are:

misfile - guy is turned into a girl by angel, deals with a lot of body dysphoria and queer issues as a result. also racing and a weird fantasy subplot. 

rain - basic slice of life comic about a girl transitioning at school. kinda on the nose and mary sue-y, but nice to read. 

venus envy - a classic slice of life comic. i dont think i know a trans girl who hasnt read venus envy. 

manic pixie nightmare girl - 3 panel jokes centered around trans issues and sarcasm

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Ugh, that poor cat.

That's about how I feel. As much as I am a proponent of SRS for trans humans who choose it, I don't think an animal who has no say in the matter should undergo a surgery like that for the convenience of the owners. :/ That just rubs me all the wrong ways.

I have an intersexed gecko. He was hatched at mid temperatures (temperature affects the sex of reptiles). So he has both female and male genitalia although neither work. He exhibits more male behavior (thus male pronouns) and has a male skeletal structure (because geckos are sexually dimorphic) He exhibits some female behaviour (digging, calling to mates, practices laying eggs) but he also fights, gets super aggressive, and makes male mating gestures (biting, tail shudders, climbing on top of things to dominate) when exposed to my females.

It's kinda annoying, having to deal with both these sets of behavior, but the idea of putting him through SRS just so I don't have to deal with the less desirable is irresponsible as a pet owner. It puts his life on the line, it causes him fear and pain. All for what? For me to have an easier go of caring for him? No way.

Further it just--I think it kinda reeks of the same treatment intersexed children get; forced into a surgery they did not choose that impacts them their whole lives. Or it makes things seem like getting SRS is a matter of convenience.

So many issues. 

• Like 1

100 Plus Miles!

101%
101%

It also states in the article that the cat has some medical issues that the surgery could help repair. I agree that if animals are healthy and doing just fine, they should be left as they are. In this case it sounds like she is just doing what the vet suggests she should do, and in my experience vets would sooner tell you to leave it be than to undergo unnecessary surgery.

• Like 1

Level 0 Vampire

Battle Log :: MFP :: Tumblr

A funny thing. I grew up with 4 best friends through middle school and high school. One friend came out as gay in high school. One as lesbian after graduation. One as a lesbian trans-woman. One just came out as gay this past year. And I'm a gay trans-man. We all presented as hetero-normative when we became friends, yet we all found ourselves to fall somewhere within the LGBT group. What are the odds?

Maybe more likely than you think.  I had a similar experience working with two friends for years, all of us presenting as hetero.  Then they came out within about a year and are partners now.  I still haven't come out to anyone in public.  Except right here, I guess.  Oh hi.

• Like 4

Texelsaur ~ Level 2 Argonian Ranger

STR: 1 | CON: 3 | DEX: 1 | WIS: 4 | STA: 3 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge

---

Programming enthusiast | GitHub

Maybe more likely than you think.  I had a similar experience working with two friends for years, all of us presenting as hetero.  Then they came out within about a year and are partners now.  I still haven't come out to anyone in public.  Except right here, I guess.  Oh hi.

Welcome! :) 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

It's probably very likely, really. We tend to form friendships with the people we relate to best. If you don't conform to typical gender roles, you're more likely to find friendship with other people who also don't conform to those roles. It's no guarantee, but it does increase the odds.

Our cat is female but asexual. She was "fixed" before we got her, and this is pretty normal (it prevents unwanted kittens, for a start). She doesn't seem at all bothered by this, and her feminine nature is obvious in the fact she rules the household and knows it. I am typing this rather awkwardly because she's decided to settle on my lap, and I don't really have a say in this.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Our cat is female but asexual. She was "fixed" before we got her, and this is pretty normal (it prevents unwanted kittens, for a start). She doesn't seem at all bothered by this, and her feminine nature is obvious in the fact she rules the household and knows it. I am typing this rather awkwardly because she's decided to settle on my lap, and I don't really have a say in this.

Well, being fixed doesn't make your cat asexual nor does it nullify her gender/sex. It's the same as a person getting an ovario-hysterectomy. She still has a vagina, just not the internal reproductive organs. Usually being spayed/neutered doesn't affect the behavior much except to prevent/stop spraying (hopefully) and often make them a little calmer. They can even still be horny after they're fixed in some cases, like one of the former ferals we have that constantly tries to breed another male cat.

Level 0 Vampire

It's probably very likely, really. We tend to form friendships with the people we relate to best. If you don't conform to typical gender roles, you're more likely to find friendship with other people who also don't conform to those roles. It's no guarantee, but it does increase the odds.

When everyone does conform to typical gender roles, as in my case, it's a little more surprising.  Interesting odds, or perhaps something more subtle.

Texelsaur ~ Level 2 Argonian Ranger

STR: 1 | CON: 3 | DEX: 1 | WIS: 4 | STA: 3 | CHA: 1

Current Challenge

---

Programming enthusiast | GitHub

English is not my first language, so my comment can be out of place, but why do you say that your pet was "fixed" instead of "castrated" or "sterilized"? Is it "fixing" when there is no health reason for the operation, but only convenience for the owner?

In order to get the right name and gender on my passport, according to the law of my country of origin I must be castrated. I am perfectly happy with my genitals and internal organs now, probably same as a cat before the trip to the vet. Is the State "fixing" me through castration, more or less as a misbehaving pet is fixed?

Of course according to the people who wrote that law, trans people need to be "fixed". An maybe I am identifying too much with the pets. But still, reading that the poor beast id "fixed" makes me cringe and think to all LGBT* people "fixed" in a similar way

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

And I just want to note, some people may see it as cruel to spay and neuter animals for no health reason, but honestly it can save a lot of lives. There is a serious problem with strays/ferals/homeless animals here and the populations are growing way too fast with so few people adopting (and keeping) animals, especially cats. With completely indoor pets it isn't as much of a problem, but animals that are allowed outside can get pregnant or impregnate others and we end up with litters being abandoned or growing up as ferals and the shelters around my area are so ridiculously full, it's awful. A lot of animals are being euthanized in kill shelters because of it, too.

• Like 2

Level 0 Vampire

Just my two bobs worth. Responsible pet owners, who do not have licences to breed their animals should have their pets "fixed". We have a very real problem of feral cats here and I'm not talking the odd "Tom" cat knocking up the locals, some of these cats are as big as dogs and are carving up the local wildlife. Native birds, reptiles, and small marsupials are suffering. If they were killing rabbits and foxes I wouldn't worry so much.

Yes they are probably born in the wild, but their parents and/or grandparents may well have been an unwanted present.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

@tkal - are you being hyperbolic when you say your country requires you to be castrated? If not, thats ultra fucked up. I dont know of any western nation that requires literal castration. Thats a horrible and barbaric requirement.

Sterilization on the other hand is, unfortunately, very common - but then again pretty much all trans women will be sterile after a few months on anti androgens. Many trans men (though not all) also are sterile from taking testosterone (but this often reverts when they go off T).

Its also important to note that you can save sperm / eggs pre transition for use later.

It's the moose on the inside that counts.