Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

That's cool, I have no clue what I can do with any of those

Hmmm I think I can do 1000 pull ups in a month though, it would boil down to 33.3 per day, so two sets of 20 morning/night would put me at 1200 

It's a long term goal... not something I plan on doing this month... or next... or even this year.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Love the rewards so far. Nothing naff like i would pick like some sort of gadget. Quality razor and quality suit. Nice

Yeah... been looking at em for a while, but after watching Jack Wick I decided I had to make it a reward somehow, and it sat on the back burner until I saw the 1000 Pound club thing...

This is what convinced me... Just need the car...

a34dae933eacf509bb6ca42cc4185f90.jpg

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

After my wedding I got a $600 credit form Men's Wearhouse due to all the rented tuxes. Used to to buy a 3 piece charcoal pin striped suit. Loved that thing, damn cat found it in the closet and shredded it.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I started receding in my late twenties which left a v of hair at the front. I kept my hair for many years after that, it doesn't look too bad, think Jude Law style.  I eventually gave up and shaved it off, and I have kept it shaved close ever since. I don't go for smooth, just no guard on hair clippers. Freedom...I am much happier being shaved, and have been for years. No hair choice problems, shower in the morning much fresher, stay cooler, rock the stubble to look like Statham, sometimes grow a beard to look even more awesome, and my wife loves it more than my hair. 

My wife shaves my head for me, which means no listening to the uninteresting conversations at a hairdressers, nothing against hairdressers or people wanting to make conversation, but I don't have an interest in football which leaves the hairdresser blank and an uncomfortable silence. There is also the money saving of not going out every month to get mop chopped. 

Think of all the badass movie baldies: Statham, Willis, Diesel, Rock, Bane, Hitman, Fishburne (Morpheus), Norton (American History X), Crowe (Romper Stomper), even Damon can pull it off in Elysium

Get the clippers, shave it off, enjoy the freedom :)

Don't worry, everyone thinks they have an alien shaped head the first time they do it.

Not particularly easy to accept, but not terribly difficult either.

After it had been noticeably thinning for a couple years, I didn't let it get naturally to the "bald" stage before I took matters into my own hands.  I had a barber cut it all off, and have been shaving it myself ever since.

I'd wanted to get a straight razor head shave from a barber because I thought that would be kinda fun.  But I couldn't find one who would do it, so sadly it was just clippered off instead.

Word of advice - if you ever go this route, the middle of winter is a poor choice for time of year to start.  Even thin, hair provides more warmth than you may realize.  That first night I noticed every draft I didn't know my apartment had.

Do you use care products for the skin on your head? And also how was the color of the skin compared to the rest of your face?

Do you use care products for the skin on your head? And also how was the color of the skin compared to the rest of your face?

I still shampoo my head when I shower, but only use a very small amount. I don't use any other skin products, I do put a bit of oil on my clippers before shaving. Skin colour was a bit whiter in the beginning and seemed to stand out, but it was only me that noticed. About a week later everything was the same colour and stayed that way.

People you know will mention your new cut, and give you different (unasked for) opinions. Both my mum and my grandma said I looked like a criminal. My dad, brother and sister thought it was cool. My grandpa loved it and asked me to shave his head too, it turned into a thing between us, I shaved his head every month and my grandma tutted and shook her head :tongue:. Friends opinions were mainly positive, only a few thought I looked better with hair. 

After a few weeks no one mentioned my hair again, the novelty wore off and it's just who I am now. I am definitely more confident and feel better with a fresh buzz. I tried growing my hair back once to see how it felt, after a month I felt unclean, sweaty, and it made me look much older. 

• Like 1

CohenTheBarbarian Level 1

STR 4 | DEX 0 | CON 2 | STA 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge

Do we have any men here who start balding, maybe half way done with their hair or already bald?

Was it easy for you to accept, did it take some time or did you fought it with every possible weapon (did you won?)?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been thinking my hair is thinning out lately (as in losing hair.) I can see more scalp between the hair then I remember, which makes me stress about going bald. Which in turn is making me lose hair faster apparently... I don't wanna shave my head, I like my hair :(

Hopefully it's all in my imagination. My father is 58 now and still has his hair (he keeps it cut short for work, it's thin like it always has been), my grandpa was bald (don't know when he lost his hair though.) And I have no clue about my moms side since she was adopted. I don't want to be bald at 24...

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge : Completed.

Second Challenge : In progress.

Tixnleeches Epic Quest (Life Goals) : In Progress

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been thinking my hair is thinning out lately (as in losing hair.) I can see more scalp between the hair then I remember, which makes me stress about going bald. Which in turn is making me lose hair faster apparently... I don't wanna shave my head, I like my hair :(

Hopefully it's all in my imagination. My father is 58 now and still has his hair (he keeps it cut short for work, it's thin like it always has been), my grandpa was bald (don't know when he lost his hair though.) And I have no clue about my moms side since she was adopted. I don't want to be bald at 24...

I hear ya I am only 23.

Did something in your life changed lately? Some people lose hair thank's to lot of stress, a bad diet or the byeffect of some medicine.

And if it's real androgenic alopecia (common male baldness) you could try one of the many medicines out there (some of them really work but not for everyone) to stop it at one point or get a hair transplantation. If it's worth both money and possible side effect's for you.

I still shampoo my head when I shower, but only use a very small amount. I don't use any other skin products, I do put a bit of oil on my clippers before shaving. Skin colour was a bit whiter in the beginning and seemed to stand out, but it was only me that noticed. About a week later everything was the same colour and stayed that way.

I don't know if you can help me with it since you went to a barber for your first cut, but do you have any tips for cutting it on your own like doing it "against the grain" or with it? On what price level is your clipper?

And a big thank you for helping me out!

I hear ya I am only 23.

Did something in your life changed lately? Some people lose hair thank's to lot of stress, a bad diet or the byeffect of some medicine.

And if it's real androgenic alopecia (common male baldness) you could try one of the many medicines out there (some of them really work but not for everyone) to stop it at one point or get a hair transplantation. If it's worth both money and possible side effect's for you.

I've been trying to help my parents who divorced escape their mountain of debt so they don't have to live in an area of town where people get murdered daily. (Seriously it's bad) So I've been working basically non-stop overtime to help them out (talking like 18 days straight of 12hr shifts with 1-2 days off then back to another long stretch.) Luckily I'm back to a normal work schedule since they are almost out of debt.

That's about the only real stress I have, other then the normal stresses of trying to pay off my debt, get back into school to finish my degree so I don't get stuck in a job I hate and stresses me out like this job does. (Hospital Security dealing with drunks/pyschs/and death)

I don't really have the extra money to pay for the medicine / other options to help save my hair, so maybe I should come to grips with it and maybe that will limit some of the stress and slow down the process...

Starting: Weight 176lbs | Bodyfat ~19% | Current: Weight 184lbs | Bodyfat ~16.5% | Goal: Weight 190-200lbs | Bodyfat 6-10%

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

First Challenge : Completed.

Second Challenge : In progress.

Tixnleeches Epic Quest (Life Goals) : In Progress

Do we have any men here who start balding, maybe half way done with their hair or already bald?

Was it easy for you to accept, did it take some time or did you fought it with every possible weapon (did you won?)?

Yep, started going bald just after high school...got the clippers out and have shaved it ever since. I was nervous about doing it at first, bit I haven't looked back.

I was never a big one for styling my hair though, so the low maintenance approach was very appealing...

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I treat it the same as my face - wash it with the same face cleanser, shave at the same time as my face, same moisturizer...

The skin was decidedly more pale at first, but mostly evened out after a month or two.  At some point after that any difference became negligible.

Yep, started going bald just after high school...got the clippers out and have shaved it ever since. I was nervous about doing it at first, bit I haven't looked back.

I was never a big one for styling my hair though, so the low maintenance approach was very appealing...

Pretty much this. Hair was very fine and I wore it short anyway. I went to shaving when the clippers broke

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Word of advice - if you ever go this route, the middle of winter is a poor choice for time of year to start.  Even thin, hair provides more warmth than you may realize.  That first night I noticed every draft I didn't know my apartment had.

Especially this.  Going outside in 10 degree weather with a shaved head, right after showing...roughly equivalent to a ice cream induced brain freeze...only from the top down.  Hats will become your friend (I keep one in every vehicle and I don't care how crumpled they get).  The other thing for lifters is beware the knurling on the bar.  I've had to leave the gym because I skinned my head laying down for a bench press, or ducking under the bar for a set of squats.  Blood dripping down your face as you lift is generally frowned upon.

• Like 2

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Blood dripping down your face as you lift is generally frowned upon.

Or you are viewed as an absolute bad ass

Sent from my phone, through the banging of weights, to the chimp translators aboard the tardis powered by the dylithiam crystal flux capacitor.

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

I don't know if you can help me with it since you went to a barber for your first cut, but do you have any tips for cutting it on your own like doing it "against the grain" or with it? On what price level is your clipper?

And a big thank you for helping me out!

I use a pretty basic corded Wahl clipper set. They cost around $30 and come with all the guards, oil, cleaning brushes etc.

http://home.wahl.com/

I just use the bare blade now on the 000 lever position , but you might want to try using guards for a buzz cut first. No.3 guard seems too long for me but try it out, 2 or 1 are a better in my opinion. Bare blade might be a shock at first, but it grows back pretty quick.

It is a bit awkward doing your own at first, and it takes a while to get right, but after a few attempts it's gets easier.

Sides from bottom to top

Back from bottom to top - this is the most difficult part on your own

Top - front back, side to side, back to front. Usually the top I have to go across from different angles, especially around the crown area.

You can hear when the clipper is cutting the hair, so will know when the angle is right.

If you have someone that can help you cut it, it is much quicker.

My wife was terrified the first time she did it, but now she blasts around my head like a pro stylist, and even uses a cutthroat to shave the neck area.

I don't live in US and i'm not sure of your location but found these:

http://shaveroutlet.com/grooming/hair-clippers-and-trimmers/wahl-home-cut-17pc-complete-haircutting-kit.html

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9243-1701-Piece-Complete-Haircutting/dp/B003BR1DDW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389300651&sr=8-2&keywords=9243

ETA: I don't shave my head smooth with a razor, so don't know about that, I thought about doing it and read that a Headblade was good, but i'm happy just buzzing my head every 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I use a pretty basic corded Wahl clipper set. They cost around $30 and come with all the guards, oil, cleaning brushes etc.

http://home.wahl.com/

I just use the bare blade now on the 000 lever position , but you might want to try using guards for a buzz cut first. No.3 guard seems too long for me but try it out, 2 or 1 are a better in my opinion. Bare blade might be a shock at first, but it grows back pretty quick.

It is a bit awkward doing your own at first, and it takes a while to get right, but after a few attempts it's gets easier.

Sides from bottom to top

Back from bottom to top - this is the most difficult part on your own

Top - front back, side to side, back to front. Usually the top I have to go across from different angles, especially around the crown area.

You can hear when the clipper is cutting the hair, so will know when the angle is right.

If you have someone that can help you cut it, it is much quicker.

My wife was terrified the first time she did it, but now she blasts around my head like a pro stylist, and even uses a cutthroat to shave the neck area.

I don't live in US and i'm not sure of your location but found these:

http://shaveroutlet.com/grooming/hair-clippers-and-trimmers/wahl-home-cut-17pc-complete-haircutting-kit.html

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9243-1701-Piece-Complete-Haircutting/dp/B003BR1DDW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389300651&sr=8-2&keywords=9243

ETA: I don't shave my head smooth with a razor, so don't know about that, I thought about doing it and read that a Headblade was good, but i'm happy just buzzing my head every 2 weeks.

+1 for Wahl. I use a Bald fader and for $40 investment, it's been going for 10 years.
  • Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I'll provide a dissenting opinion on the Headblade.  It didn't work well for me at all.  Too clumsy for detail work (requiring me to go back over areas with a conventional normal handled razor), and no faster or easier on large areas than a normal handle.  I gave it a fair shake, using it exclusively for a couple months.  In the end it's more efficient for me to shave my face and just keep going.

However, seems they've now got a completely different design ("ATX") than the one I used ("Classic") - I haven't tried the new model.  Maybe it's better now, but I don't feel compelled to try it.

• Like 1

I'll provide a dissenting opinion on the Headblade.  It didn't work well for me at all.  Too clumsy for detail work (requiring me to go back over areas with a conventional normal handled razor), and no faster or easier on large areas than a normal handle.  I gave it a fair shake, using it exclusively for a couple months.  In the end it's more efficient for me to shave my face and just keep going.

However, seems they've now got a completely different design ("ATX") than the one I used ("Classic") - I haven't tried the new model.  Maybe it's better now, but I don't feel compelled to try it.

Thanks for this, I will bear it in mind if I ever go smooth :)

Current Challenge