Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

I spent one summer as an Assembler at Lowe's (Big box hardware store Chain in the US). What you described was literally what I did all day long. Mostly gas grills, but some furniture, wheelbarrows, lawn mowers (not a lot to put together on those, but some part shipped unattached. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I decorated my entire first apartment (living room, dining room, bedroom) from Ikea.  So I know my way around an allen wrench.

I do DIY when I can.  A few months ago I saved a couple hundred dollars on repair bills by putting a new belt in the dryer instead of calling a repairman.

• Like 2

My advice is splurge that little bit of extra money if you have it and buy the next step up from pressboard, it seems like anytime we would go to move a pressboard book it would fall apart and forget about buying a pressboard dresser if you actually have clothes, the bottom of those things fall out with the littlest of weight and are almost impossible to fix

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I'm turning old furniture into this:

19am40ckeimu4jpg.jpg

along with a base and a 3rd level/platform, so I'm using a Power Saw, and several other tools (and the old noodle, for planning/designing) and it just fills me with a sense of joy.

• Like 2

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I'm constantly amazed at how un-handy some people (especially men) can be.

A guy I used to work with used to come to me for home-maintenance advice, here are a few discussions we had.

He put up one of the blow-up pools in his yard, the biggish type, three feet deep.  After putting it up and filling it, he asked me why the water wasn't level, it was 3' deep on one side and 2' on the other, and it was bulging.  I told him the ground wasn't level, he insisted that it was, he'd checked it with a 6" torpedo level.  I assured him that the water was, in fact,level, therefore the ground wasn't, and recommended he drain it and either level the ground properly or move it to level ground before the silly thing burst and dumped all that water into someplace he didn't want it.

He bought a snow-blower, and asked me which way he should point the discharge chute.  I told him it depends on where he wants the snow to go, right, left.  He asked if he could point it straight back, I replied "(name redacted) you'll be STANDING there."

He asked me about water proofing his basement, since he had water damage.  Being one of those folks who moves his hands while talking, when he said "water damage" it held his hand up over his head.  I asked where the damage was, he said it was on the basement ceiling and top of the wall.  I said "Think now, what's directly above the damage?" He replied "A bathroom".  I told him he didn't need water proofing, he needed a plumber.  It turned out one of his kids over-flowed the bathtub.

• Like 2

I'm constantly amazed at how un-handy some people (especially men) can be.

A guy I used to work with used to come to me for home-maintenance advice, here are a few discussions we had.

He put up one of the blow-up pools in his yard, the biggish type, three feet deep.  After putting it up and filling it, he asked me why the water wasn't level, it was 3' deep on one side and 2' on the other, and it was bulging.  I told him the ground wasn't level, he insisted that it was, he'd checked it with a 6" torpedo level.  I assured him that the water was, in fact,level, therefore the ground wasn't, and recommended he drain it and either level the ground properly or move it to level ground before the silly thing burst and dumped all that water into someplace he didn't want it.

He bought a snow-blower, and asked me which way he should point the discharge chute.  I told him it depends on where he wants the snow to go, right, left.  He asked if he could point it straight back, I replied "(name redacted) you'll be STANDING there."

He asked me about water proofing his basement, since he had water damage.  Being one of those folks who moves his hands while talking, when he said "water damage" it held his hand up over his head.  I asked where the damage was, he said it was on the basement ceiling and top of the wall.  I said "Think now, what's directly above the damage?" He replied "A bathroom".  I told him he didn't need water proofing, he needed a plumber.  It turned out one of his kids over-flowed the bathtub.

I'm not the most handy of guys, though I'm fixing that, there was a point I did put lugnuts on backwards after changing a tire, but now I can change the starter, waterpump etc.... but I would love to see him point the chute backwards.... even if he wasn't standing there, it would just place the snow back where it was.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I'm not the most handy of guys, though I'm fixing that, there was a point I did put lugnuts on backwards after changing a tire, but now I can change the starter, waterpump etc.... but I would love to see him point the chute backwards.... even if he wasn't standing there, it would just place the snow back where it was.

I'm pretty sure there's a stop to prevent you from pointing the chute backwards, because some idiot did so and blinded himself with 80 mph snow, then sued the manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure there's a stop to prevent you from pointing the chute backwards, because some idiot did so and blinded himself with 80 mph snow, then sued the manufacturer.

Snow Blindness... :-)

• Like 2

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Snow Blindness... :-)

The wrong kind of snow blindness >_<

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

So a while ago in the office we were talking about barbers, the majority of us agreed that places like super cuts are not to the same level as some barbers, a co-worker admitted that he goes to the bikini hair cut place said that it was great, he objectized the women in the place and just came back with the most lopsided uneven haircut ever. Would you call him out on it?

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

So a while ago in the office we were talking about barbers, the majority of us agreed that places like super cuts are not to the same level as some barbers, a co-worker admitted that he goes to the bikini hair cut place said that it was great, he objectized the women in the place and just came back with the most lopsided uneven haircut ever. Would you call him out on it?

I go to a Supercuts, but then again my haircut instructions are "Put a #5 spacer on and do the whole thing with it."  

I've been trying to get my wife to help me do it myself with my beard trimmer (which is actually an Oster trimmer, the same one they usually use in Supercuts, purchased thru her hairdresser) in order to save a few bucks, but she won't.

Yea I use a #1 on my head, I go the barber for a couple of different reasons,

1. like your girlfriend my wife is afraid to mess up my hair

2 cleaning up all that hair is a pain in the ass, I will gladly pay someone to clean up the hair after me.

3. We have a few really good barbers in the area, that still use straight razors and if you never had a straight razor shave I highly recommend it

4. The atmosphere is different, which is awesome instead of going into a place that advertises perms and colorings it's hot shaves and beard trims

5. Most barbershops are locally owned, so you are supporting the community

I still try to live by the adage of having a good barber and tailor

Daily Mile

Ok so I have been lifting more than running as of late, so I've packed on some muscle weight and have kept the same bf% however my stomach has gotten huge, like it looks like I'm fat when I wear a shirt but when I'm shirtless you can see  abs; anyone else have this problem?

Daily Mile

I go to a Supercuts, but then again my haircut instructions are "Put a #5 spacer on and do the whole thing with it."

I've been trying to get my wife to help me do it myself with my beard trimmer (which is actually an Oster trimmer, the same one they usually use in Supercuts, purchased thru her hairdresser) in order to save a few bucks, but she won't.

If it's the same all over, just do it yourself. Use your fingers to gauge completeness and once you think you're done do it again.

When I don't feel patient enough to wait for a barber I'll cut my own hair with a #3.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

My spouse gives a great crew cut with our Wahl clippers. They've been cutting their own hair for something like 30 years. Unfortunately I don't look so good in a crew and a tapered side part is a little out of their depth in terms of what they feel comfortable doing. Anything other than using guides is too hard. I'm looking around for barber shops now, but I'm cheap, so I may go to the barber school down the street. How much do you guys tip your barber, anyway?

No straight shave for me, I have a beard. I use a double edge razor to neaten up though, gives an excellent shave. I left it home once when travelling and had to use a disposable, hated it.

No straight shave for me, I have a beard. I use a double edge razor to neaten up though, gives an excellent shave. I left it home once when travelling and had to use a disposable, hated it.

I do the same thing, it's great with a boar hair brush and some glycerin soap.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Barber shop I go to is straight razors, handlebar mustaches, and beer. Beats the pants off any other haircut place...

Sounds like mine, they just don't have beer (which would be AWESOME!).  My barber is so awesome that I only have to give him general guidelines and he returns an amazing style.  Add in the facial scrub and neck shave with the haircut, I am hooked to my shop.

Ok so I have been lifting more than running as of late, so I've packed on some muscle weight and have kept the same bf% however my stomach has gotten huge, like it looks like I'm fat when I wear a shirt but when I'm shirtless you can see  abs; anyone else have this problem?

I fail to see the problem... ;) It sounds like you are changing up your workouts and your body is adjusting to reflect what you're doing.  Form follows function and all that.  It sounds like you are doing the big compound lifts like squat, dead, etc. (correct me if I'm wrong).  A big part of those is to tense the core muscles so they provide additional strength and stability through the lift.  That leads to getting a bit of a power gut/keg because you engage all of your abs, not just the front part.  It should diminish or become less noticeable as you put on more weight and the rest of your musculature catches up.  You can try losing some more bodyfat, but since you're already at a see-abs level, you don't have much to lose.

You need to ask yourself what your goal is.  If it's to get strong, this will be a side effect at least in the short term.  If you want to look like a physique model, you may want to look into doing different exercises.

Either way, enjoy it.  :)

• Like 1

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile

it's just odd, I'm used to being a skinny cross country runner, now I'm looking like a Viking

Once again, I fail to see the problem.  :)

• Like 3

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile