Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Men! Look what arrived today:

Ain't it a beauty.

Which has more hairs, the brush or your face?

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive length and autocorrects (yes, I'm blaming it on the phone).

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Hey guys, I am doing this from my phone so it is going to be short and to the point. If any of you have gone through a divorce how did you deal with it? My soon to be ex and I were only married for 5 years and we don't have kids. She received the papers and I am awaiting her counter-proposal to the terms. I feel like I am in limbo. Her things are still at the apt as she is going to school in a different state so I get to see all of that crap as well as all of the pictures because I don't want to throw anything out that she may try to take. Things are as amicable as they can be but it still sucks balls (excuse the phrase). So far I have been keeping myself busy with work, gym, yoga, and meditation I figure that if I am going to be single again I should lose my marriage weight and it seems more positive than drinking or whoring, lol. So any hints, tips, or words of wisdom??? I have a history of depression and that is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

I've never been married, but I've done the painful amicable breakup thing.  I think Wolfhorde's suggestions were spot on, especially about packing up or removing painful reminders like pictures, keeping busy, and spending time with other people.  Fairly recently I found out that Plan A for my life was not going to happen, so I've thrown myself into Plan B.  It's not Plan A, which is what I wanted, but it's still a good Plan that will involve me living a very different kind of life if I throw myself into it.

As for words of wisdom, one of my favourite bits of trite soundbite wisdom is "This too shall pass", which is applicable in absolutely every situation, but with thinking about.  You won't always be in limbo, you won't always have a house full of her stuff, you won't always feel as a bad as you do now.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

So I took my new razor for a spin this morning. There are a few caveats before going further: 1) I am used to having trimmed stubble. I rarely go clean shaven. 2) I am used to electric razors. 

Okay that out of the way, I really like the shave I got. Nicked myself three time around the chin and jaw line. But I gotta say it was smooth. I must remember not to force the razor like I am used to but to let the weight of the razor to all the work. I had some good stubble growth so I am hoping that the next time won't be so bad since the facial hair will be shorter. 

Oh and best thing: massaging the soap with the badger hair brush onto my face was very pleasant. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

gallery_177_126_1138966.jpg

Ain't it a beauty.

That is glorious! I think I'll be getting a set like that to use with my straight razor. Do it up properly.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Hey guys, I am doing this from my phone so it is going to be short and to the point. If any of you have gone through a divorce how did you deal with it? My soon to be ex and I were only married for 5 years and we don't have kids. She received the papers and I am awaiting her counter-proposal to the terms. I feel like I am in limbo. Her things are still at the apt as she is going to school in a different state so I get to see all of that crap as well as all of the pictures because I don't want to throw anything out that she may try to take. Things are as amicable as they can be but it still sucks balls (excuse the phrase). So far I have been keeping myself busy with work, gym, yoga, and meditation I figure that if I am going to be single again I should lose my marriage weight and it seems more positive than drinking or whoring, lol. So any hints, tips, or words of wisdom??? I have a history of depression and that is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

Harness, I feel your pain.  

My wife and I have just started the process.  I know I am already gone, but I wanted to do counciling to sort out what went wrong. My marriage has not worked for over a year.   My life is complicated cause she just wants to ignore the problems and we have 3 kids and it kills me to leave them.  Everyone who knows tells me it will be better when it's over and sorted out.   

Keep doing what your doing.  Get yourself right, loose that weight and keep yourself busy.  Everything will work out - given time.  and remember you have allies everywhere. 

- Jim

Unit562, level 4 Clone Ranger

STR 7.5 | DEX 2 | STA 5.5 | CON 8 | WIS 10  | CHA 6

Level 1 Level 2 Level 3 Level 4 Level 5

Ranger Guild image

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

A good plan executed well is ALWAYS better than the most perfect plan not executed at all.

So I took my new razor for a spin this morning. There are a few caveats before going further: 1) I am used to having trimmed stubble. I rarely go clean shaven. 2) I am used to electric razors. 

Okay that out of the way, I really like the shave I got. Nicked myself three time around the chin and jaw line. But I gotta say it was smooth. I must remember not to force the razor like I am used to but to let the weight of the razor to all the work. I had some good stubble growth so I am hoping that the next time won't be so bad since the facial hair will be shorter. 

Oh and best thing: massaging the soap with the badger hair brush onto my face was very pleasant. 

I've thought about making that jump.  Did you go straight from electric to safety?  It intimidates me.  How long did the process take?

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Hey.  I wish I could offer some advice backed up by experience, but I've not had the experience of a long-term cohabitation / relationship. What I have dealt with though is a history of depression, and the challenges of living single in a couples world. I'd like to share these thoughts with you:

• Be honest with yourself and your ex.
  • Be honest with your close friends.
  • Ask for help when you need it. 
  • Take time to breath and be mindful. You mention meditation. I know for me, my sitting practice can be a very positive and stabilizing experience.

Good luck and take care.

Level 2 Human, Adventurer / Druid in Training
"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions."
  ~ Dalai Lama 

Harness, I feel your pain.  

My wife and I have just started the process.  I know I am already gone, but I wanted to do counciling to sort out what went wrong. My marriage has not worked for over a year.   My life is complicated cause she just wants to ignore the problems and we have 3 kids and it kills me to leave them.  Everyone who knows tells me it will be better when it's over and sorted out.   

Keep doing what your doing.  Get yourself right, loose that weight and keep yourself busy.  Everything will work out - given time.  and remember you have allies everywhere. 

- Jim

Harness, is she motivated to be divorced?  If so, then that process should be fairly straight forward.  I have a friend that had no kids, went through the process amicably, and was formally divorced within 6 months of her moving out.

As for her crap in the house, you need to tell her that it is time she comes and gets what she wants.  Tell her that you need it out.  Have her schedule a weekend and get it done.

Unit562 - I too have three kids.  I stalled moving out because of the kids.  The day I moved out, was not an easy day.  (Mucho tequila.)  But, I still believe it was the best thing for my kids long-term.  Do what you can to keep on "reasonable" terms with your soon-to-be-ex.  Unfortunately, I'm not in that boat.  So, despite being divorced for several years, at this point.  She still manages to piss me off on a weekly basis.  I just focus on my relationship with my children and don't worry about the crazy.

Family, friends, and focusing on things that make YOU happy... it helps the process and becomes the norm.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

gallery_177_126_1138966.jpg

Ain't it a beauty. 

That is gorgeous.  With the amount of people I see now who have straight razors, it keeps popping into my head to buy one.  That being said, I'm currently spoiling myself using crappy mach3 razors while I shower to shave my neckline, sans mirror (it's really weird now to have a jaw line I can follow).

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I've thought about making that jump.  Did you go straight from electric to safety?  It intimidates me.  How long did the process take?

Yeah straight from electric to safety. Took me about 10ish minutes. I am on my third day now and it is getting a bit quicker since I don't have long stubble anymore. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

That is gorgeous.  With the amount of people I see now who have straight razors, it keeps popping into my head to buy one.  That being said, I'm currently spoiling myself using crappy mach3 razors while I shower to shave my neckline, sans mirror (it's really weird now to have a jaw line I can follow).

Hmm... I use Mach 3 razors.  Never really considered them crappy.

Also, I usually shave in the shower w/o mirror.  I usually just have to clean up my sideburns once I get out.

Yeah straight from electric to safety. Took me about 10ish minutes. I am on my third day now and it is getting a bit quicker since I don't have long stubble anymore. 

I'm curious about the straight razor process.  It looks great.  But, seems like it would be more time consuming.

Current Challenge || Previous:: 2020 Reset

There are a ton of previous challenges that I'm not linking

"Freaking pansies. Go work out!" - The Art of Clineliness

It's definitely not a good day to day choice as it requires a lot of prep and care when shaving. That being said, it's well worthwhile as an occasional treat!

Actually shaving with a safety razor isn’t nearly as hard or as time consuming as you’d think, but hey I’m paid to sell them so I’m supposed to say that right?

If you prep right it can be one of the closest and most comfortable shaves you’ll ever have! I’m surprised more people aren’t turning back to it, sure it can take a bit longer than just running a Mach 3/Fusion/trimmer across your face but it’s so rewarding. I haven't used an actual cutthroat, I have however used a shavette and that's pretty damn close. It does remind you it's got teeth if your mind wanders though!

I’ll take a picture of my kit later today when I get it all out to shave for work tomorrow! It’s got some gadget appeal, I just keep accumulating stuff!

I can give a synopsis of my prep if anyone is actually interested? Or you can just peruse the AoM post on How to Shav Like You Grandpa

Level 1 Half-Gnome Warrior

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

IntroCurrent 6 Week Challenge!

The Art Of Double Edged Shaving

Had a straight razor shave once and it was the best shave I ever had. (also the least excruciatingly horrible on my skin because normal razors wreak total havoc on my face and often have the tendency to get stuck - electric is better but still a lot of irritation)

Unfortunately I don't really have money for a proper safety/straight + prep kit. But I think some time in the future I'll take some time and get acquainted with straight razors.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

I can give a synopsis of my prep if anyone is actually interested? 

Any recommended brands for shave soaps? I got just the basic one that came with my kit, but I'll probably be experimenting with a few brands. 

Also what do you use for aftershave? 

I'm going to have to say going to electric is probably an even worse move for you skin than sticking with a Mach 3.

If you're getting lots of irritation make sure you shave after a shower and also absolutely no pressure on your skin with the razor, if the blade is sharp enough you wont have to "push" into your skin.

Any recommended brands for shave soaps? I got just the basic one that came with my kit, but I'll probably be experimenting with a few brands. 

As far as shaving creams/soaps go. I tend to like/suggest Taylor of Old Bond Street, they've got a nice variety of scents. My go to would be their Jermyn Street shaving cream, they do it in a soap as well if that's what you prefer!

Prorasso is also a very popular choice, but I'd say it's more of an entry level brand and doesn't agree with everyone's skin because of the menthol and eucalyptus in it. They do a version for sensitive skin (it's white instead of green) which has none of that in it and some other soothing ingredients too.

If you really want to treat yourself for cream I'd definitely suggest Castle Forbes Lime (or Lavender) cream, it's hard to get your hands on but it's made in small batches using pure essential oils no fragrances/alcohol/preservatives!

For aftershave... I use the Lime after shave balm by Castle Forbes (seeing a bit of a fanboy thing going on here?) which has witch hazel and some other ingredients to close your pores after shaving and soothe and hydrate your skin.

I've used a couple in the past and this is probably one of the best ones I've ever used! There are some other less exorbitantly expensive ones out there so I'll suggest a few of those:

Prorasso Post Shave Cream, comes in a nice little tub and can be used both pre and post shave to help hydrate the beard before and soothe the skin after. Also comes in both Green and White, depending if you like the menthol on you skin (I don't).

Geo F Trumper Skin Food, this one is a little different it's actually closer to a daily moisturiser in texture and look but preforms the same task as a post shave balm, I've even heard of guys putting a couple of drops of this stuff onto their brush while lathering up to make the lather even thicker and creamier.

and an honourable mention goes to the eShave After Shave Soother this is another one that I would consider more every day/entry level than gourmet but it still has its place here. It's maybe a little expensive for the amount you get but it's good quality stuff just not quite on par with the likes of Castle Forbes

I use the Body Shop Shave Cream for Men (the mrs. got it for me) and I like it.  I have pretty sensitive skin on my face and it doesn't bother me (I can feel a touch of razor burn on my neck on the against the grain stroke, but I take care of that).  I use the Body Shop After Shave Moisturizer and it takes care of anything that feels burny (typically just my neck) after a shave.

I still use a Mach 3 (but I'm hoping that the hint I dropped for my wife will net me a good brush and safety razor for my birthday) but I use a brush to apply the cream.  I don't think its a fancy one, but it seems to be doing the job so far.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

I can feel a touch of razor burn on my neck on the against the grain stroke, but I take care of that

If you're getting it just on the against the grain pass I would actually suggest not doing one, your skin will thank you!

I usually suggest 2 passes for every day and 3 to maybe 4 at a push for going out.

Everyday:

1- With the grain (or straight down) 

2- Across the grain in one direction (usually ear-nose for me)

which gets a nice close shave that doesn't have irritation and will last well into the evening without showing (longer depending on growth)

Fancypants:

1- With the grain (or straight down) 

2- Across the grain in one direction (usually ear-nose for me)

3- Across the grain in the opposite direction OR Against the grain if only doing 3 passes OR With the grain again if doing 3 passes and get irritation on against passes

4- Against the grain! (south-north pass) This is about the point where you're getting to Babies Butt Smooth... but at the risk of a fair whack of irritation if your skin can't handle it.

I use a brush to apply the cream.  I don't think its a fancy one, but it seems to be doing the job so far.

Any brush is better than no brush in my opinion! Definitely beats all the junk you get out those spray cans!

Feel like I'm bombarding this thread with my little gnome face!

so any other hairy beasts in here? I have a back sweater going on, and I want to surprise my wife and have it waxed, do I go to the place down the street or should I try to find a mens salon to do this?

Recently had my chest and back done for going on holiday, I don't see why you shouldn't just go down the street. I am going to recommend you take some strong pain killers first, especially if you have the pain threshold of a small child like me!

Oh and definitely don't drink the night before, is not fun whilst hungover...