Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Do you have friends that live outside the city limits? In most counties, it's legal to shoot just about anywhere outside the city limits; you can literally go right out in your backyard and set up some targets. Just be sure you know what's behind your target; set up a proper backstop, or set your targets at the base of a steep hill for maximum safety.

Or, you might find a shooting range. If there's a large gun store nearby, they may even have an indoor range. Range memberships are pricey--mine costs $180 for 14 months--but if it's something you plan on doing lots it's almost always worth the cost (it's $15 per visit without a membership at my range).

Or, you could take a shortcut and just use a shotgun. They require less finesse, and thus less proficiency, than a rifle. Still takes some practice, but not the hours and hours of practice that a rifle will take. The problem: you have to be closer up on the target for maximum impact and efficiency, so you can't make that 100-yard headshot. If we're you going to go hunt is mostly woodlands area with lots of trees and cover and you won't be crossing a lot of clear, open crossing then that's actually an advantage, because using an optical scope at close range is the definition of counter-productive.

Oh, for true badassery, take up bowhunting. Just make sure you get really, really good with it first, as arrows don't have the penetration of bullets and thus require a more precise shot for a quick, clean kill that alleviates animal suffering. And you're going to need to work on that body strength as you should use a bow with nothing less than a 40-50# pull for hunting. Bows are--in a way--safer to shoot in populated areas as well, as arrows travel shorter distances at less velocity and have less complicated ballistics physics. A piece of plywood is a decent backstop for them, plus, they're reusable! 

Good news is, your safety course might be free. I know in North Carolina it is.

Sorry if you already know this stuff. I tend to go on and on and on. What do you plan on hunting?

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

Aspiring one here. Need to go get my safety certification and find someplace nearby to practice shooting. Crappy thing about my neck of the woods is that there's no real place to go target shooting. 

Check with your state's conservation department - in Missouri, there are several state conservation areas that have shooting ranges.  In my area, some of the conservation areas have staffed ranges, others are unstaffed.

I did a quick google search for your area and found one

http://www.windhamgorhamrodandgunclub.org/

larger list: http://www.themainehuntingguide.com/gunclub.html

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

It's true?

I've tried 'fixing' problems my SO's have had, and it just causes grief. After reading some relationship material and starting to just listen, a lot of that grief has gone away. If my SO wants my opinion about how to deal with a problem, she's typically pretty clear about asking for it (if I actually listen, instead of just waiting for a pause to interject with what I would do). If she's not asking for help, then she just wants someone to talk about how she feels about it.

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

My 2 cents: I think the point is that emotional exhaling is as important as fixing the issue, to some people. The stereotype that I've heard is that one of the spouses (often the wife) wants to be heard, and then fix the problem on there (her) own. The other spouse is acting as an emotional sink, so to speak.

I feel lucky in that my wife doesn't process life this way. She wants my opinion on how to handle the issues she raises. We both thought this video was quite funny.

l33yore :: Human Ranger :: Level 3

STR: 2 DEX: 2 STA: 7 CON: 3 WIS: 5.5 CHA: 3.25

challenges: current 2 1 | intro

a christ follower / a husband and father, too / and i do some work

That one goes to 11!

I am a hunter. Rabbit, Ducks and Rifle mid-late fall for elk in Colorado. I live in a somewhat remote area, so good hunting is only 30-40 minutes from my front door. 

That's awesome! I've promised my little brother we would go elk hunting one day. 

There's lots of great hunting land within an hour's drive of me, but no public hunting grounds. :-/ So I only get one or two hunting trips a year; I have a friend whose family owns a swath of land that we hunt, but there's two hours away. Not too convenient for frequent trips. I just need to get to people with good hunting land closer to me.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Check with your state's conservation department - in Missouri, there are several state conservation areas that have shooting ranges.  In my area, some of the conservation areas have staffed ranges, others are unstaffed.

I did a quick google search for your area and found one

http://www.windhamgorhamrodandgunclub.org/

larger list: http://www.themainehuntingguide.com/gunclub.html

Hmm, didn't know Gorham had a club. I think I shall check that out and see if they have classes and such. Thanks. 

Do you have friends that live outside the city limits? In most counties, it's legal to shoot just about anywhere outside the city limits; you can literally go right out in your backyard and set up some targets. Just be sure you know what's behind your target; set up a proper backstop, or set your targets at the base of a steep hill for maximum safety.

Or, you might find a shooting range. If there's a large gun store nearby, they may even have an indoor range. Range memberships are pricey--mine costs $180 for 14 months--but if it's something you plan on doing lots it's almost always worth the cost (it's $15 per visit without a membership at my range).

Or, you could take a shortcut and just use a shotgun. They require less finesse, and thus less proficiency, than a rifle. Still takes some practice, but not the hours and hours of practice that a rifle will take. The problem: you have to be closer up on the target for maximum impact and efficiency, so you can't make that 100-yard headshot. If we're you going to go hunt is mostly woodlands area with lots of trees and cover and you won't be crossing a lot of clear, open crossing then that's actually an advantage, because using an optical scope at close range is the definition of counter-productive.

Oh, for true badassery, take up bowhunting. Just make sure you get really, really good with it first, as arrows don't have the penetration of bullets and thus require a more precise shot for a quick, clean kill that alleviates animal suffering. And you're going to need to work on that body strength as you should use a bow with nothing less than a 40-50# pull for hunting. Bows are--in a way--safer to shoot in populated areas as well, as arrows travel shorter distances at less velocity and have less complicated ballistics physics. A piece of plywood is a decent backstop for them, plus, they're reusable! 

Good news is, your safety course might be free. I know in North Carolina it is.

Sorry if you already know this stuff. I tend to go on and on and on. What do you plan on hunting?

Unfortunately don't know a lot of people far enough out. Where I live it is a lot of small towns so there is always someone about, at least in my area. Indoor ranges have been equally hard to find, I've found one but have been warned away from it by every gun owning friend I know for a whole host of reasons.

Part of me wanting to use a rifle is the fact that I want to join the military, which ideally will happen in the next three months, so want to get a little marksmanship in before that. That said shotgun is something I intend to use as well just because of safety reasons and the fact that it will be better suited for the woods. I actually would like to get into bow hunting as well, but I ran into the whole where can I shoot problem. An awesome thing is I do sort of know a guy who can give me some pointers, this guy goes to competitions with a recurve bow and always finishes in the top three.

As for what I plan on hunting so far it is just deer and turkey. They are all over the place where I live and once I actually have some experience I'll ask some landowners for permission.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

I think I have to learn to hunt where I am now.  Our Industrial Design Department Meeting started with my boss saying "So I was quadding and I shot a beaver the other day..."

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Despite always knowing a lot of hunting, I've only recently gotten into it, mostly so that my little brother can have a hunting buddy. I'm not a huge fan of rifles, but I do love target shooting carbines.

I'm looking into getting into archery, and when I'm skilled enough I'll use a bow for hunting. Right now, I just use my beloved shotgun.   It was an inheritance from my Papa. It's a Winchester Ranger, which was a limited run at the time and have actually become something of a collector's item. And yes, I have named it: Josephine.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

Hunting rifles with rabbits and ducks is the biggest challenge you can ever face!

Sounds like my daughter, working out the logic in her head that humans learned to eat fruit by taking it off the tree, then eating vegetables by pulling them out of the ground, then eating meat by beating up the cow with their bare hands until it stopped trying to run away and then eating it, because fruits and vegetables were so gross that beating up a cow was a better idea.  

Sounds like my daughter, working out the logic in her head that humans learned to eat fruit by taking it off the tree, then eating vegetables by pulling them out of the ground, then eating meat by beating up the cow with their bare hands until it stopped trying to run away and then eating it, because fruits and vegetables were so gross that beating up a cow was a better idea.  

The funny things is...she's not that far from the truth.

Level 2 Human Ranger

Current Challenge

My Introduction

Current Challenge Goals:

This is awesome. That is all.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What can I say, she's a red-head with a slight excess of self-confidence.  If she decides she wants to beat up a cow and eat it... I'm ok with that. :) 

To everyone who wants to use a bow for hunting: If you ever shoot at an animal with an arrow, make sure you're also capable of tracking the animal. Most times when an animal is shot with an arrow, it doesn't die instantly (unless, of course, it's a headshot, or the heart) and while I don't hunt, I have friends who do, and you don't want to know how often they've found an animal that was shot with a bow, survived and ran away, to die painfully hours or even days later, never recovered by the hunter.

So what I'm saying is: Bowhunting, fine. Not doing everything you can to recover the animal and not learning the skills necessary to track and find the animal, not fine. Also, not recovering the meat is a giant waste.

That said, as soon as I'm proficient enough with my bow - and have the necessary tracking skills - I'd love to go bowhunting!

Lever 3 Survivor - STR:5/DEX:2,75/STA:6/CON:3,5/WIS:3/CHA:1

Challenges: 1 | 2

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Robert Heinlein