Forums are back in action! ×

MEN ONLY THREAD part two

Hell, for $17, I might have to get one.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Going on a different path here because I have nothing to contribute to the current conversation.  I am curious; are there any Freemasons on the boards?  It seems to me that in a community as vast as we have here there should be at least some who would be a part of the craft.  I have been a Mason for the past 5 years and found it to be a wonderful experience.  Are there any Brothers out there?

Ooo! Ooo! Memememe! Joined my dad's Lodge last year. Still finding my way around.  It's great fun, especially the ritual work.  Good to see you, Brother!

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

Ooo! Ooo! Memememe! Joined my dad's Lodge last year. Still finding my way around.  It's great fun, especially the ritual work.  Good to see you, Brother!

Which Lodge are you out of Brother?  I am with Minnehaha #165 in Minneapolis, MN.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

just curious, can you only become a member if another member invites you in?

That is not true. We don't actively recruit. 2B1ASK1

Level 2 Warforged Druid

So I'm thinking about my old (pre-NF) suit jacket tailored down to fit my new size.  However, I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.  So the old jacket is a size 48, and my current size is somewhere between a 42 and a 44 (probably a 43).  So while I want to shrink the jacket, I'm thinking trying to get it down 6 inches won't work really well.  I could go to the tailor and try it now, but I'm currently unemployed and don't want to waste money if the final product is crap.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Or do you guys thing I should go get it tailored anyway?

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

So I'm thinking about my old (pre-NF) suit jacket tailored down to fit my new size.  However, I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.  So the old jacket is a size 48, and my current size is somewhere between a 42 and a 44 (probably a 43).  So while I want to shrink the jacket, I'm thinking trying to get it down 6 inches won't work really well.  I could go to the tailor and try it now, but I'm currently unemployed and don't want to waste money if the final product is crap.  Anyone have any experience with this?  Or do you guys thing I should go get it tailored anyway?

I have an old suit like that. It's a waste of time. tailoring can be done for a lot of things but to take that many inches out of the garment is not feasible. 

You can have them take it in as much as they can so it doesn't look as baggy. That will help a bit until you can afford a new one. 

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I would buy a new jacket.  Taking it down from a 48 to even a 44 would be a lot of work and probably drive the price up.  Thanks for the reminder, I have 3 suits and one tux that I have to get worked on that I bought before I found NF and didn't have them tailored yet.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

What BigM and Jitters said. A tailor can take a suit jacket in 2 inches, a good tailor may be able to do 4 inches, but above that won't happen. Also, the cost of taking in a jacket can get up there.

I debated this myself recently. I was a 46L and am now around the same as you (42 / 44). I finally caved to buy new suits rather than tailor my existing suits. My pants went from 38/40's down to 36, so I would have had to tailor my pants and my coats....and the end result may not have looked all that great with the coats.

In the end, this is what I settled on. I checked out several OTR suit places and settled on waiting for Joseph A Bank's next "Buy 1 get 2 Free" sale. I landed on something just a bit better. They had a 70% off all suits (with a few exceptions). I was able to combine this with something else (I really can't remember), but basically I landed 4 of their "$800" suits for a total of just over $900 (buying just 1 of these would have only been $240). Since they also offer odd sizes, this worked perfectly because I was able to get 43L Slim suits (a slight variation of their "tailored" fit) with 37 pants. Perfect fit! The jacket sleeves could be brought in just a bit, but everything else fits great.

After losing so much weight, this was way better than trying to alter my current suits. I now have 7-8 suits I'm giving to charity, but I very well could sell them on craiglist to recoup some of the cost of the new suits if I wanted.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Thanks for the info, guys.  I kinda expected as much.

It's just a killer, since I had bought the suit and wore it only 3 times (three interviews), and then it's been tucked away ever since.  It wasn't until my friend's wedding that I pulled it out and realized the issue.  I got a quick little suit at Kohl's that's not bad, but I definitely wish I had gotten something nicer at JosABank.  Then again, I don't wear suits for my professional life (you know, when I'm employed).  Something about dropping chemicals and bacteria on a suit that doesn't work well.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Embrace the color change.  Chicks dig it.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

So while the barber was holding up the mirror to show me the back of my head; I noticed that basically the whole side of my head is turning white; would you guys dye it or say F it and just let it go?

Touch call.

I'm in the same boat here. White coming in the beard, and a nice patch dead center on top.  I hadn't thought of dyeing it up until this point but now that you mention it....

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I'd say leave it. One of the many things I've learned from having chicks as friends is that the artificially colored hair never looks right compared to the natural colored hair, and it's better to accept time then just hide it. But also saying this since I've had salt & pepper hair since i was 13 and honestly learned to deal with it...oddly enough adds to the intimidation factor when wearing a trench coat. 

So while the barber was holding up the mirror to show me the back of my head; I noticed that basically the whole side of my head is turning white; would you guys dye it or say F it and just let it go?

F it and let it go. I only have a few grey/white strands, but I plan on just embracing it along with the already receding hairline.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*