Forums are back in action! ×

New computer, buy or build?

Ghost

I've been using an old laptop that was won in the lottery for 2 years now.

And at this point it just can't do anything well anymore.

So I'm contemplating getting a desktop, something powerful.

And while it is mainly for other things (my education for one), it will also be playing games.

All my friends have left Xbox in the dust sadly. But the thing with computers is they seem so complex, and always need to be upgraded.

A friend of mine just bought a bunch of parts online and built his own for $700, it works great.

But I want something that won't become easily outdated.

Can anyone give me some advice on the matter?

Your computer will become outdated at the same rate as every other computer, whether you buy it or build it.

I do highly recommend the approach of buying parts online and putting it together yourself. For that $700, if you do it right, you get a computer that's on the same caliber of pre-assembled ones that are twice as expensive, at the cost of a couple hours out of your weekend. So, if you can make $700-$800 in five hours, then go ahead and buy one pre-assembled. If you can't, then get parts.

A friend helped me assemble mine. Its specs are, for the cost, basically fantastic. It's not a top-of-the-line tournament gaming piece, but I'm not a top-of-the-line tournament gamer, so that's fine.

Obviously, in a couple years (it's already over a year old now), it's gonna be fairly outdated, but so would any other computer that I got around that time period.

My advice is to ask your friend for some part-buying tips. It's usually pretty intuitive.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Always build if you have the knowledge or access to the knowledge. 9 times out of 10 you can build a new computer at the closest comparable specs, erring on the side of improvement where it is necessary, for a much lesser price.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Also worth remembering that, yes any computer will become outdated fairly quickly but at least with a desktop you can upgrade single components as and when they become outdated whereas with a laptop generally that's harder to do. If you build your own it should hopefully give you a bit of knowledge in regards to replacing individual components that could be helpful down the line

Right now I am considering just buying a good computer.

I'll upgrade it once it gets old, buy some parts and fix it up.

What am I looking for in a computer?

Any brands that are best, models etc?

I'm looking in the price range of $600 to no more than $1000 if that matters.

I think the answer to the first one is depends what you want/plan to use it for. So if it's for gaming then graphics card is going to be more important than say if you just want to use it for surfing the Web, word processing + stuff like that.

Brands – I'm not sure how dependant this is on what your plans are for the computer. I'd probably put a vote in for Asus or possibly alienware if you want a gaming computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Spooky_Rach, level 3 dwarf ranger
STR 5|DEX 3|STA 6|CON 6|WIS 5|CHA 4

As a computer scientist/gamer/ex-graphics programmer I would strongly encourage you to build. Your money will go a lot further. As for specs, here's what I recommend:

Graphics Card, this is one of the essentials to any gaming rig. There are a handful of statistics associated with it, the most important being, number of warps, cores per warp, clock speed and memory. The clock speed, while important isn't quite as important as the other one, and total number of cores is the same you want a lower core to warp. If you have enough money you may want to consider get two provide that they offer the connecting feature, or support PhysX. The former allows you to leverage multiple graphics cards for one display making it an easy upgrade. The Latter is a cuda based physics accelerator, games that support it will run the non-graphics side of the game faster.

Mother Board, this is the heart of your rig. Everything else is easy to replace. Things you need to pay attention to, basics like CPU socket type (should be the modern processor socket) and RAM type (really, it's a performance to availibilty comparison) and how many PCI Express ports does it have. If those are all sufficent, the real statistic you want to look at is northbridge speed. This often a bottle neck and is worth looking for the best.

RAM, make sure the ram type is compatible with the mother board, some RAM is faster than other, some more available. I don't have anything solid to say about it. Look for at least 8 gigs though, for reasons expounded upon below.

Storage, I'd recommend getting a small SSD if you can, if it's just for gaming this will help massively with loading times. If you want to store alot of music or something, then you probably need an HD. The other issue with an SSD is that it has a limited read/write life cycle, this means you want to have enough RAM that you don't want to throw much into swap, however thrashing is less of a problem with an SSD, so it's really variable.

Processor, this may be a little controversial; don't worry about your processor that much. Processors at this point are vastly more powerful than the surrounding hardware, so you can afford to be a little conservative here.

I want to point out one thing - if you get more than 3G of memory (which is fine for a basic 'puter btw) - you MUST use a 64-bit OS. So keep that in mind. 8gb of ram is probable way more than you need , but ram is fairly cheap right now so it won't hurt - but be sure about the 64-bit OS.

If you have the know how or have a friend with the proper know how - it will be less expensive and easier to upgrade if you build it yourself. And again, you can spend the $$ where you'll get the most bang for your buck for however you're using it.

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

If you buy a computer, you may have trouble upgrading it later due to hardware conflicts. I ran into that on my last computer which is why I went the build it route this time.

Like everyone said, build one or get some whiz kid to build you one if you're afraid of assembling it yourself. You will get more computer for your money. If you know someone, you may even be able to get some reliable used equipment at a fraction of the cost.

I'm pretty much being forced to just buy now.

The other person putting in money towards it doesn't want to deal with the hassle of building and possible malfunction.

They won't budge on this.

I'm terrible at selecting computers, and so are they.

Can someone give recommendations?

The other person putting in money towards it doesn't want to deal with the hassle of building and possible malfunction.

LOL possible malfunction. Prebuilts are far more prone to issues. Most cheap out on the motherboard and other various parts and tend to have much greater stability issues.

Fear of the unknown FTW.

Hassle? Even a first timer should be able to assemble everything in an hour or two and have the OS and primary program files installed a few hours later.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

A potential way around this is to have a friend who builds computer, build you a custom rig, show it to the other paying party and since it's working, buy the custom built rig then.

Now the argument I'd make is that a custom rig is better for malfunctions, partially because you can diagnose and repair it yourself.

Seriously, prebuilt computers are bad unless you are looking at the high end.

That being said, I've heard good things about alienware, and their X51 second tier is in your budget. But I don't know if their quality survived the dell acquisition.

Alienware X51 ehh?

I was looking at those but whenever I try getting an opinion on it my (computer) friend just acts like he knows everything and says it's a waste.

Which one are you talking about, isn't there a couple different X51s?

And what are our opinions on them?

Even a first timer should be able to assemble everything in an hour or two and have the OS and primary program files installed a few hours later.

Well.

Believe me, my first time, it would have taken the better part of a day to get everything together if I hadn't had help. But, still, well worth it.

Level 4 AssassinStr 8.50, Dex 7.25, Sta 6.75Con 6.00, Wis 8.00, Cha 6.00

My tumblrtumblr for silly band names

Alienware X51 ehh?

I was looking at those but whenever I try getting an opinion on it my (computer) friend just acts like he knows everything and says it's a waste.

Which one are you talking about, isn't there a couple different X51s?

And what are our opinions on them?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/fs - Second from the left is in your price range.

Your friend is right, in a sense. You are paying for the name a bit, but if you're paying for a stock gaming rig for under a thousand it's hard to do well without a custom rig. That being said, I haven't kept up with the gaming pc market for about 5 years. The GT 640 supposedly can run current gen games at somewhat reasonable frame rates, but you'd have to upgrade the card within a couple years. It's a slim case, which limits customization, but if it's to play games with your friends, it's easier to transport.

With that 1000-1500 i could build a beast of a computer . my buddy was on a buget and he had the os already i built him a system that plays every thing he wants forr 350.

I used amd proccesor for his because for the money you get a good procesor .he got the new quad core FX

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

[TABLE=class: innerCells, width: 0]

[TR=class: cartItem]

[TD=class: cartSelect, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center][/TD]

[TD=class: cartQty, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]11-233-103-02.jpg

GIGABYTE GZ-G2 puls GZ-G2SGB Black ABS / Mesh/ 0.6 mm SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseItem #: N82E16811233103Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2][/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$89.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]22-148-840-03.jpg

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare DriveItem #: N82E16822148840Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

Recover Your Data(expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$30.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$219.98$159.98($79.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]13-131-851-02.jpg

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOSItem #: N82E16813131851Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[h=3]Protect Your Investment (expand for options)[/h]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$5.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$159.99$154.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]14-130-683-04.jpg

EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video CardItem #: N82E16814130683Return Policy: VGA Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$35.00 Instant

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$559.98$489.98($244.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: cartQty, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]00-996-204-02.jpg

Newegg Free CPU Magazine CouponItem #: N82E16800996204Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$24.99 Saving

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$49.98$0.00($0.00 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]17-371-024-12.jpg

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ...Item #: N82E16817371024Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$20.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$139.99$119.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]20-144-546-02.jpg

GeIL EVO CORSA Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Desktop Memory Model GOC316GB1333C9DCItem #: N82E16820144546Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$135.98($67.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]19-103-961-02.jpg

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOXItem #: N82E16819103961Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$159.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]35-150-007-20.jpg

MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case FanItem #: N82E16835150007Return Policy: Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$2.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]35-168-006-03.jpg

IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case FanItem #: N82E16835168006Return Policy: Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$2.30 Sale

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$23.97$17.07($5.69 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]

LITE-ON H/H Internal BD Writer with Nero Essential SATA IHBS312-98Item #: N82E16827106381Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: cartSubtotal cartHeader]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D5D5, colspan: 4, align: right]Subtotal:[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D5D5, align: right]$1,420.95[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

lvl 1Half Orc Ranger

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | CON: 4 | STA: 1 | WIS: 2 | CHA: 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are Rangers.

We walk in the dark places no others will enter.

We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.

First Challenge

http://www.nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?17992-Shagy-s-Pull-head-out-of-_______

Not sure how pricing is in Australia but, for that kind of money, ask around your friends if they know a small computer shop that is trustworthy. Pay someone there to build you a nice system. You will still get way more for your money, and they will probably stand behind what they assembled and give good tech support. And you won't pay for sh1t you don't need.

I just spent $1400 on my complete system (including OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor.....) last October and it won't need upgrading for at least 2 more years. I can run any game out there on ultra high settings with silky smooth graphics.

DO IT!

[TABLE=class: innerCells, width: 0]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]11-233-103-02.jpg

GIGABYTE GZ-G2 puls GZ-G2SGB Black ABS / Mesh/ 0.6 mm SGCC ATX Mid Tower Computer CaseItem #: N82E16811233103Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]22-148-840-03.jpg

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare DriveItem #: N82E16822148840Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

Recover Your Data(expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$30.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$219.98$159.98($79.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]13-131-851-02.jpg

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOSItem #: N82E16813131851Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[h=3]Protect Your Investment (expand for options)[/h]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$5.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$159.99$154.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]14-130-683-04.jpg

EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video CardItem #: N82E16814130683Return Policy: VGA Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$35.00 Instant

$30.00 Mail-in Rebate Card[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$559.98$489.98($244.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: cartQty, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: center]2[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]00-996-204-02.jpg

Newegg Free CPU Magazine CouponItem #: N82E16800996204Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$24.99 Saving

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$49.98$0.00($0.00 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]17-371-024-12.jpg

Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with ...Item #: N82E16817371024Return Policy: Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$20.00 Instant

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$139.99$119.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]20-144-546-02.jpg

GeIL EVO CORSA Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10660) Desktop Memory Model GOC316GB1333C9DCItem #: N82E16820144546Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$135.98($67.99 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]19-103-961-02.jpg

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOXItem #: N82E16819103961Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$159.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]35-150-007-20.jpg

MASSCOOL FD08025S1M4 80mm Case FanItem #: N82E16835150007Return Policy: Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$2.99[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]35-168-006-03.jpg

IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case FanItem #: N82E16835168006Return Policy: Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy[/TD]

[TD=class: cartSavings, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]-$2.30 Sale

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartPrice, bgcolor: #F2F2F2, align: right]$23.97$17.07($5.69 each)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: cartDescription, bgcolor: #F2F2F2]

LITE-ON H/H Internal BD Writer with Nero Essential SATA IHBS312-98Item #: N82E16827106381Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: cartSubtotal cartHeader]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D5D5, colspan: 4, align: right]Subtotal:[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #D5D5D5, align: right]$1,420.95[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If youre building, do not go this route... I can build you a more powerful machine for about 200$ less....

As for buying prebuilt check out cyberpower and if you absolutely have to. Go with Alienware. As long as you get a quad core cpu and you get a gtx 670/680 you can essentially bet on being able to play games on great settings for atleast 2-3 more years.

If you need to know more send me a PM or check out my thread about computer builds. My entire build was 1200$ (for the desktop only) and it would blow the pants off the one I have quoted all day every day.

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Archived