Forums are back in action! ×

The Almighty Stand-up Desk!

JasontheKiwi

Does anyone else use a stand-up desk in their office?

I've been standing at work for over a year now and love it. I apparently have hyper-mobile joints so sitting at a desk even for a couple of hours kills my back and makes it all tingly and sore. Here in NZ however to buy a stand-up desk is a minimum of a thousand bucks, so I improvised and it seems to be working so far, see pic below.

If you haven't tried I'd recommend a month of standing at work. I found it increased my energy throughout the day (due to constant movement) and I never really get the 2pm sleepiness that I used to. There is a lot of research around about the dangers of sitting for more than 6hrs solid. See more here How sitting is killing us

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5787[/ATTACH]

post-10469-13567245116503_thumb.jpg

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I tried using an old dresser with my laptop before, but it didn't seem to work well. I see how you raised the laptop screen and use a separate keyboard/mouse. That seems like a great improvement and will give it a try.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I need to have a keyboard and monitor set up at my treadmill. I don't think this drafting table would be steady enough at full leg extension, though.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I have a stand up desk. I love it and I've been at it for about a year and a half. Here's a terrible picture:

http://anivair.com/images/blog/standing-desk.jpg

Hahah that's a great one! Well as long as it works is the main thing eh. At my last job I had the computer set up in a deep window frame with the screen shakily balancing on a few phonebooks and a swissball box... it would have been a goner in an earthquake.

My Blog

My Book Reviews

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." - Mark Twain

I tried using an old dresser with my laptop before, but it didn't seem to work well. I see how you raised the laptop screen and use a separate keyboard/mouse. That seems like a great improvement and will give it a try.

Laptops are tricky, because the ideal height for the monitor is a good deal higher than the ideal height for the keyboard/mouse. So you can either stick a laptop where it's best for your neck and then type like a t-rex, or put it down where it's best for your arms and shoulders, but slouch to view the screen. Wireless keyboard/mouse ftw!

Wood Elf Ranger

LEVEL 1, It don't mean a thing if I don't hear that ding: My Epic Quest

So for the last week and a half I have started using a stand up desk once again and it is better with proper screen/keyboard/mouse placement. I used that same dresser, but added a door (left by the previous owner's of my house), and a milk crate for a laptop riser, and an old external keyboard/mouse. I still have the sit down desk available and the couch with coffee table (read foot rest) as other options for my work day. I have been getting between 3 and 5 hours of standing a day.

My wife said next Spring I can renovate my home office (she even estimated a sizable budget) and I think if the stand up desk habit sticks, I will make one myself. (That is why everything is on the right side of the desk, the desk I plan to make is shorter than the door so I want to pretend the desk is smaller width to see if it is decent). I already took some measurements and drew up some plans. Someday I want to make all the furniture in my home office / man cave (except the couch).

Pic:

standdesktrial.jpg

nice. loving the homestyle creations.

i've been thinking about making something that mounts on the treadmill, so that i can be a walking desk.

hasn't been a real high priority tho.

just thot it would help in multiple ways tho, cus no only wud i get a bit more exercise, but i'd probly spend less time on the computer when i shud be doing other things

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mark, Level 2 Giant Ranger

STR 4.5|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3.25|WIS 5.25|CHA 4.75

[/TABLE]
bgvanbur, That is Fantastic and hilarious, a door haha. Good job tho... Cant beat a sweet man cave

The top of the dresser was ok when I used just the laptop, but when I added the keyboard and mouse I had no room for my typical notepad and papers. The door was the only big thing I had laying around :) I have a man cave, but since I just moved I haven't spent the time to make it sweet yet (but at least it has the potential).

[ATTACH]6070[/ATTACH]

standup "desk"

I was thinking of getting a tall stool for when I sit, how is that chair you have?

nice. loving the homestyle creations.

i've been thinking about making something that mounts on the treadmill, so that i can be a walking desk.

hasn't been a real high priority tho.

just thot it would help in multiple ways tho, cus no only wud i get a bit more exercise, but i'd probly spend less time on the computer when i shud be doing other things

I tried the treadmill desk initially and it was hard to type when walking and hard to read since the head moves around.

At work I have dual monitors vertically stacked. The bottom is my laptop, the top is an external monitor on a swivel, so I can stand and tilt it upward and work standing if I want to use just the top monitor. But, Since my controls are on the reular level desk, I only do it when reading long documents and just hold the mouse in my hand to scroll. I want to get one of those breakfast in bed trays to pop my external mouse and keyboard onto when I want to work standing so I can do it more often.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I don't have one at work, but I douse a stand up set-up for my primary hobby (sewing). It can take hours to make one garment and sitting down for all that time is not good. It gave me a lot of pain. I used a standing side board I bought from Ikea and then elevated the sewing machines with props. Works great, and made a sedentary hobby not so sedentary.

Work-from-home programmer and technical writer here, I've been rocking a standing desk for about a year and a half after reading about the trolly vs. bus operator studies. It was my first rebel fitness move, though I hadn't met your branch of the alliance. I lost 20 pounds in a couple months without otherwise changing my diet or exercise patterns in the slightest bit.

I have the second monitor very high and use the laptop mostly for the keyboard and touchpad in order to try to improve my posture. My touch-typing still sucks after all these years, so this is only so effective (do I hear a future life challenge?)

Anyway, a cheapo keyboard stand (~$30 new) and a battered World of Warcraft boardgame (I know, it seemed a good idea a couple xmas' ago...) works great with my monitor towering somewhere else. I also have used my two-tier keyboard stand to great success... except I had to tear down my office couple times a week for rehearsals or a gig :-(

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6073[/ATTACH]

post-10324-13567245272529_thumb.jpg

Bardic Ranger - Level 5 Str: 3 | Dex: 3 | Sta: 4 | Con: 3 | Wis: 6 | Cha: 7

Walk the paths you need to tread. Sing when you can.

I have a man cave, but since I just moved I haven't spent the time to make it sweet yet (but at least it has the potential). I was thinking of getting a tall stool for when I sit, how is that chair you have?

Yeah we just moved house too, about a month ago. I've never had my own office before because in our old 50m square flat the office doubled as a store room, bike shed and tool shed. However now I have my own office room but have not got a stand up desk at home yet... I like the piano board idea Papacoyote so might look into that. It's so cool having a man cave and I'm still in the process of maning it up... I got a sweet reading chair and a big book shelf too... think I just need a coffee machine and a pinball machine and it'd be great (I wish).

Re the stool... Spezzy, wouldn't you bang your knees into the dresser?

My Blog

My Book Reviews

I got a fancy levity desk (100 dollars because the company my friend worked for was getting rid of all their used ones... it was 2% of the original price or something like that) and I love it. I can stand for hours, and if my feet are getting tired I can sit down for a while, then stand back up. Unfortunately I don't have access to it right now because I am in between places. Once I have my new place though, I am excited to get it back.

This too, shall pass.

I was thinking of getting a tall stool for when I sit, how is that chair you have?

It's perfect

Re the stool... Spezzy, wouldn't you bang your knees into the dresser?

Nope - it's not for sitting and pulling up to the desk. It's for leaning and putting your feet up on (the rungs on the bottom).

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I set up mine at work last night! I've been enjoying it so far this morning; I feel like it's keeping me sharp. The only annoying thing is all the questions, which I assume will die down as people get used to it. I finally realized there was no point not to do it because it's something I've wanted to do for a while. Sitting really wears on me.

Interesting observation: I have noticed the general correlation that the younger the person the more interested they are and the older the more skeptical they are.

Now I just need to find a keyboard tray that will allow me to easily shift keyboard/mouse/spaceball from standing height to sitting height for easy transition from standing to sitting. And to watch this KStar video over and over again.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Archived