Forums are back in action! ×

New assassin, Long-time geek...

Ok, time to stop lurking and start posting.

I can't tell you how much you all are inspiring me already. I found this site 2 weeks ago, and am really excited about the challenge on Monday. But let me back up.

I'm not a gamer (except for the awesomeness of Myst) but I am an old-school science geek, so I feel like I have a home here. Plus, I surround myself with engineer geeks and academic folk, so this seems like a soft landing space!

My goal is to find my real body underneath all these cookies. I've seen it before, so I have proof it exists. My biggest problem is my diet. Especially sugar. I went Paleo about two weeks ago and it feels great. Except I do run out of steam early in the day, say 3ish. Having said that, I've never felt more productive and clear headed. So I guess I'll take the 3pm crash, considering.

I'm planning to start the strength training/body weight brigade on Monday, so that will be one of my challenge goals. I started working out with a wonderful trainer a year ago and got a little strong for the first time in my life. It totally changed the shape of my body. Amazing. Then stress and cookies and injury derailed me. Until now. So here we go-

Right out of the gate, could use advice on the early stages of going Paleo. And anyone out there with Dissertation Brain - holla! (last week's epic moment: trying to open the door to Trader Joes by pushing the unlock button on my car key)

TigerTiger, Level 1 Gargoyle Assassin
STR 3|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 6

Fear is a liar.

I'm not a gamer (except for the awesomeness of Myst) but I am an old-school science geek, so I feel like I have a home here. Plus, I surround myself with engineer geeks and academic folk, so this seems like a soft landing space!

Welcome fellow "science geek always surrounded by engineer geeks and academic folk"!

(love the definition, it fits like a glove)

Except I do run out of steam early in the day, say 3ish. Having said that, I've never felt more productive and clear headed. So I guess I'll take the 3pm crash, considering.

It is not so early if you start you day at 5am :-)

Anyway, when I have that problem, usually drinking a lot plus moving around helps. For me the magic combination is half liter of water (~17 fl oz), 12 floors of stairs (office on the 6th floor, I go down and up 2 times) and then another half liter. Or get outside and breath some fresh air.

Anyway, it is something that goes away naturally after a while, as long as you are eating well. The big problem is getting use to lover level of carbs in your diet. For me it worked better to progress gradually toward a lower intake. The problem here is not the theory, but the experimental apparatus: it takes a while to learn how to read the data, and only then you can really calibrate it.

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

Welcome to the rebellion, TigerTiger! LOL at your dissertation brain -- we all get those moments, but that was definately epic. What are you doing your dissertation on? (Or are you tired of talking about/thinking about it and just want to go do ALL THE EXERCISE?) Look forward to seeing you around!

Hiraedd the Twice Risen:

Hamadryad; Pilgrim

battle log

If you're crashing about 3:00, be sure you're eating enough fats. Maybe a handful of nuts would be in order about then? There is an entire thread on paleo, I'm sure if you post a question there, you'll get an answer right away. Everyone's really been helpful everytime I ask a question. See you at the challenge.

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Hey thanks you guys- i'll check out the paleo thread

Oh yes, Tkal, it's definitely the calibration that's tricky. Should only be a matter of time since the variables are now few.

Hiraedd, I'm creating a filmmaking method that promotes sustainability through story and working with some amazing farmers who, it turns out, tell a great story! Thanks for asking.

TigerTiger, Level 1 Gargoyle Assassin
STR 3|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 4|WIS 7|CHA 6

Fear is a liar.

Archived