Forums are back in action! ×

Graduated from "girly" to "real" push-ups!

Avalonna

I've been doing girly or kneeling push-ups for several months, and haven't made an effort lately to change to regular ones because I suck at push-ups, I tend towards injury in my wrists and shoulder, and my sets of 15 or so kneeling push-ups seemed challenging enough.

Until now! I read a blog post a couple of days ago that claimed women were holding themselves back by sticking to kneeling push-ups, and that it was better to do even one real push-up than 10 kneeling ones.

What the hell, I thought, I'll give it a shot. And damn if I didn't crank out a set of 5, a set of 4, and a set of 6! Hot damn! Goodbye, girly push-ups!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Impressive!!  Congrats!

Do you have the link?

Every time I try real push-ups I just end up flat on my face, so I'd say this is no small achievement!!! :D :D  And multiple sets too!!  Go Avalonna!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Found the link! It was via a fellow Nerd Fitness rebel. 

http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2009/06/no-more-girly-push-ups/

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3

Thanks for the link!  I totally didn't realise that about not using a mat, and the form advice seems useful too :)

Well done again!

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Congratulations!

I can't do girly push-ups (bad knees), so I do incline push-ups instead, but I sooo want to be able to do real ones.  You're a great inspiration.

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

That's great! congrats!! I couldn't do them at first either, but over time worked up! It's fun to be one of the few females in the class doing them on the toes instead of the knees :) That is interesting about the mat. I tend to use a mat because the hard floor makes me hands/wrists sore for some reason.

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge

I have had tendonitis in both wrists and doing regular pushups doesn't make them feel great, so I started doing them with my hands on dumbbells. That way my wrists are not at such an angle.

Archived