Forums are back in action! ×

What's your hands-on hobby?

Evicious

Just curious to know what other nerds are up to when the power is out or they're waiting for their new system to be shipped. ^_- For instance, I've been learning how to crochet... at the moment, all I know how to do is a treble stitch and the only aspiration I have is to finish the blanket I started (which is, of course, the first thing I've ever crocheted in my life). I've got a couple of cute little books with illustrations and instructions on how to do several other different patterns, and I'm very eager to begin making socks and mittens and silly hats for next year's Christmas gifts to my family and friends.

So what's everyone else's hobby? If you don't have any yet, what would you like to do and how do you plan on getting to the point where you can do it?

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I love working on cars on road and off-road! I'm trying to learn how to do paint now but its pretty expensive to get into.  Hopefully I can slowly save up money and buy all the equipment I need!

“Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.â€
- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

STR 3 CON 2 STA 3 DEX 3 WIS 2 CHA 2

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Log http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22111-elefevers-log/

I taught myself to crochet a couple years ago to make things from the book Creepy Cute Crochet.  I've been knitting since I was tiny (maybe 6 yrs old?)  I also like building things - right now I'm building shelves for my spice collection after making the labels (brown mailing paper, ironed & run through the printer then cut and run through a sticker maker) and getting a ton of jars.  Next up is some pallet furniture/furnishings (storage benches, wine rack, etc).  I've done pretty much every craft in the book but I tend to cycle through them.  Then of course there's reading, cooking, baking and too many other hobbies.

Danielle, Level 2 Forest Nymph Adventurer

STR 6.5 | DEX 2 | STA 4+1 | CON 9 | WIS 6+1 | CHA 3+1

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Challenges: 1 2

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"

Background | MFP

I love crocheting! I learned how to do it in high school. Just recently picked up knitting. I made an infinity scarf... which I then gave to my mom for Christmas. Now my neck is cold.

I have way too many hobbies. Ones that don't involve electricity? Needlework. Dancing. Singing. Though, that last one isn't a hobby so much as something I do when no one is around and don't tell anyone about. Except for now. Crap.

Anyway. Reading. Cooking. Baking (though this is going to have to change what with paleo being what it is). Doing makeup. What? I can't paint or draw worth a damn. Pretty colors on my face yay!

Electricity-dependent hobbies are watching movies, TV shows, playing video games, listening to music, taking photos, writing (I type waaaay faster than I write on paper).

See? Way too many hobbies.

I taught myself to crochet a couple years ago to make things from the book Creepy Cute Crochet.  I've been knitting since I was tiny (maybe 6 yrs old?)  I also like building things - right now I'm building shelves for my spice collection after making the labels (brown mailing paper, ironed & run through the printer then cut and run through a sticker maker) and getting a ton of jars.  Next up is some pallet furniture/furnishings (storage benches, wine rack, etc).  I've done pretty much every craft in the book but I tend to cycle through them.  Then of course there's reading, cooking, baking and too many other hobbies.

Building! A girl after my own heart! I just built some shelving to grow my hot peppers.  Good stuff! 

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Challenge http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22528-new-beginnings

Miniature gaming!  I absolutely love the tabletop skirmish game Malifaux.  I spend a lot of my time building models, painting them, and then playing my crews!

Level 1 Half-Ogre Druid
STR: 3, DEX: 1, STA: 2, CON: 2, WIS: 4, CHA: 3
“I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.’†– Kurt Vonnegut

Sewing is my main hobby, I've been sewing since I was about 3, and have been making clothes since I was 12.

Currently into making a Steampunk outfit.  Made my own corset. :)

Little Miss Gibson, Half-orc Adventurer [1]STR 4|DEX 3|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Current challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/22168-little-nerds-first-challenge/

Mini-challenges: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/23509-adventurer-mini-challenge-3/

Inventory: 6ft oak staff; baby carrots; rat-tail; 10 silver pieces

Building! A girl after my own heart! I just built some shelving to grow my hot peppers.  Good stuff! 

How could I not love it?  It combines two of my favorite things:  obsessive planning and power tools!

I'd love to see the shelves if you have a chance to post a pic.  I'm a relatively new homeowner so I'm always checking out what other people have built and seeing if I can use any elements in the future.  Or just staring at their accomplishments in awe...I do quite a bit of that as well.

Inventory: 5 silver pieces, a free dinner (full of vegetables), shiny belt of Endurance, Babel Fish

Background | MFP

How could I not love it?  It combines two of my favorite things:  obsessive planning and power tools!

I'd love to see the shelves if you have a chance to post a pic.  I'm a relatively new homeowner so I'm always checking out what other people have built and seeing if I can use any elements in the future.  Or just staring at their accomplishments in awe...I do quite a bit of that as well.

Of course!  Its designed to sit directly under a window so the plants on top get light, then there are grow lights mounted underneath the upper shelf for small plants and recently germinated seeds.  Ignore the ugliness and the extreme messiness of the garage.. I used pieces of an old waterbed frame and spare plywood to put it together; I just need to paint it or stain it a uniform color. The joys of being poor!  Also if you are interested in raising small animals (Who knows?) I have some picture of some cages I built and donated to a wildlife rescue center years ago when I was in high school somewhere on one of my old computers

post-7423-0-08841400-1357571277_thumb.jp

And power tools <3 I wish they weren't so darn expensive!

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Of course!  Its designed to sit directly under a window so the plants on top get light, then there are grow lights mounted underneath the upper shelf for small plants and recently germinated seeds.  Ignore the ugliness and the extreme messiness of the garage.. I used pieces of an old waterbed frame and spare plywood to put it together; I just need to paint it or stain it a uniform color. The joys of being poor!  Also if you are interested in raising small animals (Who knows?) I have some picture of some cages I built and donated to a wildlife rescue center years ago when I was in high school somewhere on one of my old computers

attachicon.gif20130107_095423_resized.jpg

And power tools <3 I wish they weren't so darn expensive!

It's telling me I don't have permission to view the file :(

I'm slowly (VERY slowly) building up my power tool collection.  So far, just a drill, dremel and circular saw but that's pretty much all I need for now.  I was staring at empty space in my kitchen below the window and above the  heater...this might be a perfect place to snag your idea and germinate an herb garden or something.  I'm trying to use basically every square inch of the kitchen since I'm huge into cooking/baking and my house is pretty tiny.

As for using scraps:  I tend to view it as efficient use of materials.  My box spring didn't fit up the stairs at my house so while I was waiting for my dad to cut it, we used bed slats from Ikea.  Now I'm using the slats to build my spice rack shelves.

I think I'm all set with the cages for now.  The only animal in my foreseeable future is my beast of a puppy (he's a pit boxer mix who got gigantic fast) and he's almost bigger than me at this point.

Background | MFP

I'm slowly (VERY slowly) building up my power tool collection.  So far, just a drill, dremel and circular saw but that's pretty much all I need for now.

Nothing wrong with that - building a tool collection should be an evolutionary process. :)

I spent a long time just buying a new one when a project required it, and eventually it got to the point where I've got a pretty good setup!

Nothing wrong with that - building a tool collection should be an evolutionary process. :)

I spent a long time just buying a new one when a project required it, and eventually it got to the point where I've got a pretty good setup!

That's pretty much how we've been doing it.  Anything you'd recommend as your "most valuable/useful power tool"?  I drool over the table/miter saws every time I see them so I'm trying to come up with a good excuse to get one.

Also, I'm in love with your bookcase.

Background | MFP

Anything you'd recommend as your "most valuable/useful power tool"?

#1 - Good cordless drill

#2 - Circular saw

Actually, cordless drill really belongs on a list by itself.  I use that more than every other tool I own combined.  I don't actually use my circular saw that much anymore (thanks to the miter/table saws), but for most applications, the circ saw is just fine, and for the price - you can't beat it. From a versatility standpoint, an oscillating tool is a good one to have around (I have this one).  Cutting/sanding/scraping, etc - I turn to that more often than I would have thought.

Looks like Art of Manliness basically agrees with me (although I don't actually own a recip saw).

I am a semi professional Photographer. I try to have my camera on me all the time, because you can never know when you get a chance to snap a perfect picture. I love to go Hiking because photographing Nature is both easy and rewarding, as long as you have some Form of tele-objective and of course the essential tripod (which can be a pain to carry around). Not much hiking in the past few months though, partly due to winter, partly because my tripod broke and i didn't get around to fixing it yet.

Also whenever I'm bored or sometimes when I'm reading (currently Brave new World by Aldous Huxley) I pick up a pen (or any other conical object really) and start to spin it around and between my fingers.

Level 4 Human Ranger

The only Way to accomplish greatness is to set your goals even higher.

STR: 15 || DEX: 9 || STA: 10

CON: 12 || WIS: 9 || CHA: 6

Check out my challange Thread (4)

#1 - Good cordless drill

#2 - Circular saw

Actually, cordless drill really belongs on a list by itself.  I use that more than every other tool I own combined.  I don't actually use my circular saw that much anymore (thanks to the miter/table saws), but for most applications, the circ saw is just fine, and for the price - you can't beat it. From a versatility standpoint, an oscillating tool is a good one to have around (I have this one).  Cutting/sanding/scraping, etc - I turn to that more often than I would have thought.

Looks like Art of Manliness basically agrees with me (although I don't actually own a recip saw).

I have a cordless drill but having a good one would be awesome! lol.  Mine loses its charge pretty quickly now so I've been scoping out what I want to replace it with.  I've been told to stick to DeWalt and they seem pretty legit but I've still got lots of research to do.

Background | MFP

I have a cordless drill but having a good one would be awesome! lol.  Mine loses its charge pretty quickly now so I've been scoping out what I want to replace it with.  I've been told to stick to DeWalt and they seem pretty legit but I've still got lots of research to do.

Yeah, DeWalt definitely a good compromise between affordability and quality, especially for us average joes!  You can also just look into getting a few replacement batteries.  I always have one sitting on the trickle charger and one plugged into my drill when I'm doing work. I think my dremel tool is my favorite.  I use it any chance I get! Used it anywhere from cutting hinges off my car to grinding and sanding.  I like Reciprocating Saws too.  There something about going to town with one of those that just makes you smile. 

- E. Joseph Crossman

lvl 1 Cylon Assassin 

~Adapt and Overcome~

Yeah, DeWalt definitely a good compromise between affordability and quality, especially for us average joes!  You can also just look into getting a few replacement batteries.  I always have one sitting on the trickle charger and one plugged into my drill when I'm doing work. I think my dremel tool is my favorite.  I use it any chance I get! Used it anywhere from cutting hinges off my car to grinding and sanding.  I like Reciprocating Saws too.  There something about going to town with one of those that just makes you smile. 

Haha I think the appeal of the reciprocating saw is similar to the appeal for watching large buildings be demolished, fireworks, etc.  There's just something about destruction that's awesome.  Then again, I'm also someone who thinks the gun range is a fun date so I might not be average.  My dad has a sawzall and brings it out whenever we need it so until I can really justify that, I'll just use his (and then I'll get one and start cutting anything I'm allowed to destroy).

My drill is on the lower end as far as quality and power anyway so we'll probably hang onto it, especially since the head rotates for awkward angles but get a better one with more power.  I bought it when I was in an apartment and needed it for putting small furniture together with pre-drilled holes, hanging stuff on the wall, etc.  Oh and because old people said it was lightweight and I had no muscles at the time.  Now I'm ready for the heavy duty ones :)

Background | MFP

Archived