Forums are back in action! ×

Focus?

IslandGirl_Becks

I had my first box jump wipe-out at Crossfit last Wednesday  My body might have been 4 reps from the end of the WOD, but my mind was cross-country skiing in in the North Cascades. It was my shin followed by my knee cap contacting the edge of the 20" box that jerked me back to reality- followed by a resounding "*FRICK!*"

My trainer, who is usually a man of few words, replied to my explication with a warehouse-filling "FOCUS!" 

So, my question is this: How to you stay focused during your workouts? When you're running distance, it's easy to let your mind wander... distracting yourself becomes a sort of art! How do you keep yourself in the moment when the motions are repetitive?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I've found that if the exercise is challenging enough, then staying focused isn't an issue. For heavy weights, I have to keep my mind on my form. For box jumps, I have to concentrate to make sure I am getting enough height.

It also doesn't hurt to remind myself what happens if I miss the rep.

HALF-OGRE
Level 3 Ranger / Level 1 Sexy Grandpa

Str: 10.75 Dex: 11 Sta: 9.25 Con: 7.5 Wis: 6.75 Cha: 5.75

"The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want right nowâ€. ― Zig Ziglar

Introduction
Current 6 week challenge
My workout log

Specialization is for insects. Do all the things!

I do the same as evicious, I count my reps or check my form in the mirror. My mind is really bad to wander but this usually fixes the problem. 

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

No mirrors at my gym, haha. Counting works most of the time- but often it's a result of being focused and not a source of being in the moment.

Evicious, I do use the mental check and see myself doing the motion. I was asked how my box jumps were so quiet- I guess that's a sign that I corrected the problem! soft knees... 

Do you ever use visualization techniques to get in the moment? 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

If you have trouble focusing, maybe your workout is too easy?  I find that if a workout is very difficult, I can't do anything BUT focus on the rep I'm on.  In fact, I often lose count of reps this way.

On the flip side, there's an entire brand of meditation dedicated to focusing one's mind on physical activity.  (Look up "walking meditation" for starters.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived