Forums are back in action! ×

Please don't let me drop the hydrochloric acid

Hello! Clearly, I'm new here. I'm currently a graduate student in a PhD program for physical chemistry. I live in the middle of the country, having been transplanted from California (born and raised) for undergrad and now graduate school.

I just started trying to get into shape. During undergrad, I probably put on 30 lbs due to bad diet and lack of exercise. I prioritized my extra-curricular activities, work, and getting a dual degree over a healthy lifestyle. I don't necessarily regret it now, but I want to rearrange my priorities for grad school. I already have the time management skills down, so I just need the motivation.

So far I've completed three weeks of Couch to 5k and will be starting week 4 tomorrow. I woke up one day and just decided to do it, which is way different than the "I want to..." thoughts I've had before when trying to get in shape. I've also been researching strength training to do along with it, which is how I came across Nerd Fitness. In addition to preventing injury when running, I want to get stronger so I can carry all of the things I need to while doing research and while teaching the two general chemistry labs I'm instructing. The other day I was trying to refill the student bottle of hydrochloric acid and my arms started shaking about half-way through. Full refill bottles are maybe fifteen pounds and holding them parallel to my shoulder like I have to for refills has been difficult. I really would rather not drop concentrated strong acid on myself, so this is actually maybe more important than running, which I really like. No one ever thinks of the heavy things one has to move while being a chemist, ha.

Anyway, these are some of my goals:

1) Complete Couch to 5k

2) Run the 5k I've signed up for in April without walking (!)

3) Strength train at least two times a week with the beginner body weight work-out from NF

4) Cut out processed foods from my diet (I've started doing this slowly and can't remember the last time I had fast food)

I signed up for NF because it's really hard finding someone at the same point I am in their fitness journey. I'm committed to exercising (which many of my friends say they'd like to be, but it never seems to happen), but I'm not advanced like the tri-athletes and marathon runners that I'm also friends with. I'm hoping the NF community will be able to provide the (level appropriate) support and push I need to reach all of my goals!

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

One of things that attracted me here is that everything was in terms I could understand, and no one seemed to care that I couldn't (an still can't) do a single pushup.  Those look like great goals.  I love the BBW workout, so I hope you have fun with it.  As you can see, I'm in CA, although it's not sunny today.  Welcome to the rebellion. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks you two! I did the first day of week 4 today on c25k, and I think it's the first time since high school that I've run 5 minutes in a row, ha. Now to kick my butt with the BBW workout tomorrow. Good news is that it was in the 60s this morning instead of the 20s. (Still super jealous of you, though, Laureleye).

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

Archived