Forums are back in action! ×

Because I want to go home....

As my username would suggest, I am a cop. Some people don't like cops, but we're people too.

I was in good shape when I hit the road four years ago. Then came two kids, and a really sedentary lifestyle. Truth is, I sit in my squad or in the station for most of my shift. What sucks is that at any given time I may be called upon to instantly be in peak physical condition. I might need to wrestle a drugged-up thug, keep a couple from ripping each other's throats out, or pull a kid out of a rolled-over car- and I'm really worried that I couldn't do it.

My biggest challenge has always been motivation. I can put in the sweat, give up the sweets, and really push it to the limit- if I can get motivated. You'd think my job or my wife and kids would give me the push, but I just can't find it. I need motivation.

My job is all about teamwork. I work well as part of a team. And I'd love to be a part of this one. 

I need a change. I need motivation. Because I want to go home to my kids at night.

" Because I want to go home to my kids at night."

There is no better reason than that.  Let us know how we can help.

A true warrior does not train tirelessly to fight, or to kill. A true warrior trains endlessly that he may return home alive.
-R. Calloway

Maybe the ultimate wound is the one that makes you miss the war you got it in.
- Sebastian Junger

Challenge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Battle Log

Doodlie PVP Johari Window

Epic Quest Character 

"I need a change. I need motivation. Because I want to go home to my kids at night."

That has to be the biggest motivation ever! but, we all need a new kind of motivation every once and a while :) i hope we can help you with that here! Something that really helps me get motivated is if someone expects me to be exercising with them at a specific time, so i team up with someone to go to the gym/runs/Xfit :nevreness:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit"

Unos -. Ranger

Hey SuperCop and welcome!

As already mentioned above, you have the reason to motivate you already!

I've been on a fitness journey for a while, and recently just ran out of motivation totally...for months. It's different for everybody but I've decided to combine giving Paleo a crack and starting an all new (to me) strength training routine.For me it's been a big kick start and the challenging myself to complete it has been motivating.

There's a few posts on NF about motivating yourself, so if you havent already, you should check out:

Joe's story - this one kick-started it for me! http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/02/07/joe-updated/

Jake's story - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/03/how-jake-lost-70-pounds-in-9-months/

They both have a bunch of tips for how those guys motivated themselves, you should find out what is going to push you and it sounds like that'll be your key.

Welcome and good luck!

ps. I have nothing but respect for the police, and you shouldn't let any douchebag lowlifes convince you that the majority of us feel the same way.

Mannion

Lvl 0 Half-Orc Warrior

"When you can't run, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, when you can't do that ... "

" ... you find someone to carry you."

-Tracy & Zoe, Firefly

Current challenge:

First job with The Browncoats 

Hey SuperCop!

Awesome job for logging in here :) you've already made a step!

I'm wondering if any of your squad-mates are facing similar challenges? Judging by the environmental conditions you're facing (long time in squad car, at the office) it sounds like that's probable. However, - and correct me if I'm wrong - but perhaps it's difficult to discuss how you feel about this at work? My impression (maybe completely baseless) is that cops believe they are supposed to be 'macho', and macho guys aren't supposed to have insecurities (if that's how you'd describe one of the challenges you're facing), let alone talk about it if they do.

So maybe that's a barrier to connecting to other people at work. But I bet what you're going through is normal - I'm sure there are other cops that have gone what you're going through and ARE going through what you're going through.

Regardless if that's an issue/barrier, I think there's tremendous potential in connecting to someone at work. They would know best what kind I conditioning you need, what specific challenges you're facing, and you might even be able to find someone who

A. has successfully dealt with what you're dealing with and/or

B. IS dealing with what you're dealing with.

I think that could be very positive for you.

Furthermore, what you've said about wanting to be a team-player is tremendous, and I would hope that any supervisor you've got would recognize that if you went to them. We need people like you who want to be part of a team, and have identified their weakness. You're being proactive rather than reactive (making sure you're prepared for a situation where you have to separate a violent domestic dispute, for example) and I think that's AMAZING! Your kids have a parent they can be proud of today (that's you :))

So with all that being said, you've got people here! Now what's your action plan?

Archived