Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Yesterday, i told my co-worker that I realized that I already lost 20kg (~44lbs) in just one year, and she was like: "I give you a tip: don't eat after 6p.m."

And I was like: "Did you even listen? My diet works for me, I'm healthy and I can keep this up forever, because I don't restrict myself that much. (I usually eat my only warm meal in the evenings.) And if I lost weight any faster, my skin wouldn't be able to adjust anymore."

People always react as if it was only a matter of losing 10lbs in a short time to look good on the beach, instead of getting fit and healthier.

Wow, your co-worker is an idiot.l

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Yesterday, i told my co-worker that I realized that I already lost 20kg (~44lbs) in just one year, and she was like: "I give you a tip: don't eat after 6p.m."

And I was like: "Did you even listen? My diet works for me, I'm healthy and I can keep this up forever, because I don't restrict myself that much. (I usually eat my only warm meal in the evenings.) And if I lost weight any faster, my skin wouldn't be able to adjust anymore."

People always react as if it was only a matter of losing 10lbs in a short time to look good on the beach, instead of getting fit and healthier.

...what?  Like ...

"Oh, I've been really successful"

"You must be doing something wrong.  Here, let me help"

What?

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Oh, I'm sorry, were y'all in the middle of a conversation? I wasn't listening. I was watching those catfish whiskers... is it getting warm in here or is it just me?

Too hot for him : -)

panko-pan-fried-fish-strips-oh-l.jpg

She wants to be able to say " man he lost so much weight, all thanks to my Tips".

Few comments from last hanging out with friends :)

(comments mostly from girls... overweight girls...)

- you look haggard 
- you seem sick 
- I liked you better when you were fatter 
- you will continue losing weight, are you crazy? 
- how could you force yourself to run today at this cold 
- I don't know how you lost the weight, I am being disciplined but lost nothing 
- how can you enjoy life with avoiding all those foods and exercising so much 

- how can you do strenght training without weights, you should go to the gym and lift

Etc... you get the picture. :) 

Btw, I am far from skinny (and even fit) with 98kg...

Wow, Rocky.

Get some new friends. Seriously. I especially like the "I am being disciplined, but I lost nothing". Somebody's not being honest here... Don't let them get you down!

Colleagues at work are similar, there are just few exceptions. Probably it is human nature to criticize people who succeed at something, or try to reduce value of their success.

Although it is curious that men around me are usually much more supportive than females. 

My biggest support is one female friend who is fitness trainer, she is extatic with my improvement even though she is not training me.

Girl who told me that she is disciplined but lost nothing has 95-100kg and blames all of her problems on hormones and thyroid. She claims that her weight remains the same even when she is eating regulary under 1200 kcal per day. Keeping 95-100kg steady weight with less than 1200 kcal on regular basis... with some exercising included... come on, who are you fooling? Thyroid or not, that is near to impossible.  :nevreness:

I think this post from the beginning of this theme sums it all quite well:

When you start achieving things and improving yourself it can make people look at themselves subconsciously and if they're unhappy with themselves they'll say stupid shit like that, it's as if their insecurity wants you to fail so they'll feel better about themselves.

As for my parents, they don't know all the things that I am doing, so they are not commenting much except compliment about my look now and then when they see me every few weeks or so. 

Interestingly enough they were not shocked or dismissive when I told them today that I am going for a run after Christmas lunch. Considering my previous couch potato lifestyle I beleive that they were quite shocked but they managed to act cool. :)

Ugh, that "I liked you better when you were fatter" thing.

Just reply: "I liked you better when you weren't an insensitive jerk".

And the "crazy" accusation is really hurtful. I got that one when I told a coworker I was going for walks at 3:30 in the morning. The fact that there are less cars around, or that it's quieter are apparently not good arguments.

Next time I'll just tell her that "it makes that morning BM a whole lot easier".

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

There is also one work colleague. When I started exercising, I told him some of stuff I am doing. He occasionaly joked about my "gymnastics". 

But now when I have less weight and visible muscles, he is not joking any more. I win!  :nevreness:

Ugh, that "I liked you better when you were fatter" thing.

Just reply: "I liked you better when you weren't an insensitive jerk".

And the "crazy" accusation is really hurtful. I got that one when I told a coworker I was going for walks at 3:30 in the morning. The fact that there are less cars around, or that it's quieter are apparently not good arguments.

Next time I'll just tell her that "it makes that morning BM a whole lot easier".

I don't think I could bring myself to tell her that...  :)

Btw, she is always touching me. My arms, belly, butt, legs, etc. If she did't do that to all of us, I would be worried. 

I don't mind the occasional feel, but she had big problems with some people.

She claims that it is involuntary and that she touches (or even pinches) person next to her without thinking about it. Very strange behaviour indeed...

Do some of you have friends touching and feeling parts of your body? 

Some of my friends and I are close enough that we'll lie all over each other on the couch while watching movies.  Another group of us have a bit of a tradition of condescending head-pats.

But other than that ... I'd be pretty weirded out, tbh.  I like my personal space, and I like it personal.  She'd have to be a very special level of friend for me to be OK with that.

Also ... yeah, some of those things are pretty not-OK things to say?  "I liked you better when you were fatter"?  Why would you even say that?

Oh, and I've got a new one for the thread - not annoying, more something I don't really know how to react to.
I'm trying to get leaner.  I was never overweight to begin with, but I was high side of average.  You could see I was carrying a bit extra.

I have a friend who is a fair bit heavier than me.  Usually he's pretty great, but I tend not to mention my weight loss progress around him.  Not because he's not happy for me - he usually is.  But because that enthusiasm is usually followed by some variation on "I find it amusing that the weight you're trying to lose from is the weight I hope to maybe be someday."
Like, it's not said in an accusatory tone, or anything.  It just makes me really uncomfortable.  I feel bad for flaunting my weight loss in front of him.

I'm less sold on the other comment of his - that he can't understand why I think I'm fat.  Yes, my image of myself doesn't usually match up to reality in terms of how fat I feel vs how fat I actually am.  But it does feel a little like I should be ashamed of not being happy with my body the way it is/was.  Which ... eh.  He most likely doesn't mean it that way.  But it's hard not to take it that way sometimes.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Hey! That's Great! How did you do it? Seriously. I'm trying to lose about that much.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Ok, you guys, I totally concede to you one and all that fish can apparently be sexy. This pains me.... but who knew?

Because if Akon said it, it must be true.  That's how the world works, right?

(I sincerely hope not)

Here's the one comment that will just about send me round the bend each and every time I hear it (with the possible exception of coming from a WWII Vet.):

"Young Lady..."

Ouch, yeah.  There are people in my life who have 'young lady' permissions.  They're not that much older than me, and they're using it as much to mock themselves as me.

Everyone else gets the eye-twitch.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Last night when I was leaving a dinner hosted by some family friends, we kept turning down leftovers. And the hostess said to me (in that sickly sweet southern accent), "oh you are just so healthy, you don't want any of our leftovers!" In reality, the food was mediocre and I would probably just take it home to my trash can.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Oh, and I've got a new one for the thread - not annoying, more something I don't really know how to react to.

I'm trying to get leaner.  I was never overweight to begin with, but I was high side of average.  You could see I was carrying a bit extra.

I have a friend who is a fair bit heavier than me.  Usually he's pretty great, but I tend not to mention my weight loss progress around him.  Not because he's not happy for me - he usually is.  But because that enthusiasm is usually followed by some variation on "I find it amusing that the weight you're trying to lose from is the weight I hope to maybe be someday."

Like, it's not said in an accusatory tone, or anything.  It just makes me really uncomfortable.  I feel bad for flaunting my weight loss in front of him.

I'm less sold on the other comment of his - that he can't understand why I think I'm fat.  Yes, my image of myself doesn't usually match up to reality in terms of how fat I feel vs how fat I actually am.  But it does feel a little like I should be ashamed of not being happy with my body the way it is/was.  Which ... eh.  He most likely doesn't mean it that way.  But it's hard not to take it that way sometimes.

I have been in a similar situation, but in the a role similar to that of your friend.

When I had a friend tell me about his weight loss successes and goals, I'd congratulate him, but then talk about how he looked fine the way he was. For me, it was a defense mechanism of sorts, a way to convince myself that I really wasn't that unhealthy. I meant no ill will towards him at all, it was just a way for me to try and feel less bad about myself.

Additionally, it's all relative and based on each perspective. My perspective came from me looking in the mirror every day to see a person that was 40-50 pounds heavier than my friend. My thoughts were that I could only hope to someday be the same weight as him. His perspective was that, though he was in pretty good health, he wasn't done yet. 

Now, after reaching a similar level of health and fitness, I find myself seeing his perspective. I'm not done yet. Though I have made leaps and bounds, I'm not content. I can still improve. If I can be better, why shouldn't I? That's what I use when friends and family ask me why I want to keep going. Apart from that, I just try to be as encouraging and positive as possible and give food/fitness advice if they want it. It's hard not to feel ashamed sometimes, but I'm not sure there's a way around it.

Hope this helps a bit!

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

I have been in a similar situation, but in the a role similar to that of your friend.

When I had a friend tell me about his weight loss successes and goals, I'd congratulate him, but then talk about how he looked fine the way he was. For me, it was a defense mechanism of sorts, a way to convince myself that I really wasn't that unhealthy. I meant no ill will towards him at all, it was just a way for me to try and feel less bad about myself.

Additionally, it's all relative and based on each perspective. My perspective came from me looking in the mirror every day to see a person that was 40-50 pounds heavier than my friend. My thoughts were that I could only hope to someday be the same weight as him. His perspective was that, though he was in pretty good health, he wasn't done yet. 

Now, after reaching a similar level of health and fitness, I find myself seeing his perspective. I'm not done yet. Though I have made leaps and bounds, I'm not content. I can still improve. If I can be better, why shouldn't I? That's what I use when friends and family ask me why I want to keep going. Apart from that, I just try to be as encouraging and positive as possible and give food/fitness advice if they want it. It's hard not to feel ashamed sometimes, but I'm not sure there's a way around it.

Hope this helps a bit!

Yeah, my response is usually to mention the stuff that he's got that are on my "someday, if I'm lucky" list (like financial independence).  I definitely think this is a factor - I do try to steer the topic to other things, and only talk about my successes if he asks, because the last thing I want to is rub anything in his face and make him feel bad.

So yeah, everything you said makes total sense, and I expect it's a large part of what's going on.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Yesterday... again...

Brief excerpt:

She: You were better looking when you were fatter

Me (jokingly): I don't care... I will have visible abs or die in the process 

She: You know, worst sex I ever had was with muscular and fit guy. And best sex was with the fat guy.

Me: Good for you, but I will continue on my way to health anyway

Damn... will I have to listen to such bullshit for the rest of my life? facepalm.gif

P.S. facepalm smiley would be nice addition here on NF

Yesterday... again...

Brief excerpt:

She: You were better looking when you were fatter

Me (jokingly): I don't care... I will have visible abs or die in the process

She: You know, worst sex I ever had was with muscular and fit guy. And best sex was with the fat guy.

Me: Good for you, but I will continue on my way to health anyway

Damn... will I have to listen to such bullshit for the rest of my life? Posted Image

P.S. facepalm smiley would be nice addition here on NF

Ask her who she's having sex with now? That should distract her from picking on you.

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

• Like 1

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Ask her who she's having sex with now? That should distract her from picking on you.

Sent from an alternate universe using Alien tech.

Better yet, ask her if those two are her only samples. *snerk*

Or, tell her that you work ALL your muscles... yes, including your tongue. tee hee hee

• Like 1

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

This is definitely tricky. I had an issue like this with my best friend. She is 5'5" and 125-135. Ish.

I'm a solid 3" taller and on average 30 lbs heavier. And she used to complain about her back fat and I used to get very upset with how obsessed she was when I was already feeling a bit hefty. And we had to have a few sit downs to sort us out. She had a drinking problem and I had previously had food problems so it was easy to say look you going on and on about your pitifully small reserve of be fat is kind of like me parading beer around d you constantly. It's hard to deal with.

Fortunately she was my best friend and we were able to sort ourselves out with minimal damage and earnest conversation. I think recognizing they have a different body image of themselves is important. And most of the time it really actually has nothing to do with what they think of you or your goals. That and in our case she's just built completely differently and no matter what I do I will never weigh that much in a healthy manner and she will never will never fill out curvy jeans like I do. Lol

Urgh. I know dat feel, with several of my friends. It's extremely hard to avoid the dieting topic when I go visit anyone, too, because all they have in their house is junk food! And when it's all out on the table or some is offered to me, well...yeah. "I'm not hungry" only works for so long.

Someone else in my circle of friends became addicted to fitness recently, though, so now I have another friend who knows dat feel XD