Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Not to mention that belt color might be meaningless depending on where you got it. Some schools have a very "fast food" approach to martial arts, and it's possible to get a black belt in 6-12 months in some places (not even kidding). Ask those people how long it took to get that black belt. You might be surprised by the answer.

Oh yeah, I absolutely hate that aspect of martial arts. I've been training for 12 years now and have met people who after 2 years have been given black belts (even kids under 10). I suppose it's got alot to do with the current "fast food" approach as you put it, and the monetisation of martial arts as well.

I personally don't put any stock into a person's rank as a result (hell I don't even keep track of my rank), and only pay attention to the time they spent training.

Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!

Wow. Hm. Well, guess I'd pretty thrilled if someone actually thought I could kick their ass.

Sounds like flattery to me.

Depending on who is saying it, could even be flirty. I have a hard time imaging a guy saying to another guy, 'I bet you could beat me up'.

Like I'm picturing all the men I interact with on a regular basis and try picturing them together in the same room with my martial arts friends and just cannot picture any guy saying that.

It is usually said as a compliment because it's usually guys that say it and guys are impressed by that type of stuff. As far as a girl saying that flirtatiously, ha! I wish.

The other one I hear is:

"I have a friend who is a black belt in x I bet he could beat you up"

All I can think is bullshit. We've never met each other and you think we're going to fight?

I've heard that before although usually it's some variation of them asking me who I think would win. Same answer as you pretty much. I've never met the guy how could I possibly know.

Oh yeah, I absolutely hate that aspect of martial arts. I've been training for 12 years now and have met people who after 2 years have been given black belts (even kids under 10). I suppose it's got alot to do with the current "fast food" approach as you put it, and the monetisation of martial arts as well.

I personally don't put any stock into a person's rank as a result (hell I don't even keep track of my rank), and only pay attention to the time they spent training.

The monetizing of martial arts goes the other way too. Some instructors will purposefully hold back students from achieving the next rank to make them pay another belt test fee. Really, it happens. Length of training time in both directions doesn't matter. Someone who's been training 20 years might suck and someone that's been training 2 might be awesome. You never know. Fun fact, Chuck Norris earned his black belt in 1 year. And believe me when I say westerners were given no special treatment in those days.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Yeah, I know how it used to be done, before all the mcdojos sprang up. Both my instructors are from that era of martial arts, and they train me in a similar manner.

I've found that time spent training to be a somewhat accurate method of gauging another's skill, without actually training with them anyway. Though once your in the training room, only what you know and can do matters to me.

Sir Issac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space!

Yeah, I know how it used to be done, before all the mcdojos sprang up. Both my instructors are from that era of martial arts, and they train me in a similar manner.

I've found that time spent training to be a somewhat accurate method of gauging another's skill, without actually training with them anyway. Though once your in the training room, only what you know and can do matters to me.

I freaking love the term McDojo.  Because it is SO damned accurate.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I have a similar problem because of my interest in shooting. People seem to think that because you are interested in "violent" things, you are a violent person. There's kind of a huge leap between shooting a paper target and shooting a real live person. Same thing with martial arts: between sparring and actually beating someone up, there's a pretty big gap. Especially with martial arts: most people think "Martial arts are for self defense, competitions or for showing off, not something you do just to have a workout and have fun."

There's also this strange compulsion to say something in response. When somebody says something, most people feel that they must comment on it or they'll seem rude. Then it comes out all weird.

Take your pick. It's all I got for now. :)

Although I don't think I would find someone saying "I bet you could beat me up" annoying (I think it's more of a compliment), I do find it sort of weird because I always thought of martial arts as not so much about self defense but more about self discipline - so, learning to control both your mind and your body.  More about yourself and your own peace of mind than about any sort of violence toward others.  So my first reaction is always that it's weird that people would always think of violence, even though it totally makes sense with the media culture and the fact that it was probably totally used for war and stuff.

I understand that about shooting.  Honestly, if you're willing to learn about guns - their operation, their dangers, their consequences, and even their thrill - I think that gives you respect for guns that makes me see you as not a violent person but rather an informed and cautious person.  Yes, they were originally created for one purpose and one purpose only, but that doesn't mean they are always used that way now.  They are often for entertainment and sport - and I don't mean hunting.  Competitive shooters are amazingly impressive, and I would never associate them with violence.  Their skills speak of respect and discipline, not wanton violence.  I think, as a shooter, you need to understand the original purpose of the tool of your sport (same goes for martial arts) as that will give you more understanding for the skills you're wielding, but that certainly doesn't make you a violent person - in fact, that could make you the exact opposite.

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 - DEX 2.25 - STA 4.5 - CON 5.5 - WIS 6 - CHA 6

Introduction

Previous Battle Log     Current Battle Log

First Challenge     Previous Challenge     Current Challenge

Holiday Mini-Challenge

日本語 PvP

What do we say to the god of failure?  NOT TODAY.

Hey! That's Great! How did you do it? Seriously. I'm trying to lose about that much.

:)

I have to lose around 40-50kg, all in all, so I guess my first 20kg were easier to lose than your last 20kg. (After all, it takes a lot of energy to move all this fat around.)

The biggest part of it is not to gain back the weight you lose every now and then. Like, I once did the Sacred Heart Diet (only 4 of the 7 days, but 5kg less), and every now and then I would try to diet and eat a lot of salads and veggie-soups with chicken and lose another 1 or 2 kg. There was always some yoyo-effect, but I lost more than I gained, so it was alright. :)

I lost most weight in the last weeks, when my boyfriend finally wanted to lose weight, too, and finally accepted stuff like salad with chicken breast etc as a normal meal. :P  So it was pretty easy, comparatively, to stick to some kind of Paleo- guided diet. Mostly, we simply don't eat grains anymore, or only minuscule amounts. (Before, we ate a LOT of noodles and bread.)

Also, I'm pretty active at work (McDonald's, so I'm fine as long as I don't eat there. :P) and now I do weight training, too. I guess I DO have a pretty high metabolic rate, but up til now, my calorie intake was much higher. I can only recommend not to eat any grain anymore - without Spaghetti Bolognese and Pizza, overeating isn't fun anymore. :P

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

"Constant Vigilance!"

- Alastor Moody in "Harry Potter"

I never know what to say to this. An even more common one for me is. "I bet you could beat me up." Like I would suddenly just kick their ass for no reason. Very irritating.

When I was doing Krav Maga, I used to get this comment. I would just reply "maybe"...

That in combination with me being generally silent guy would always get the "Ooooohhh he's one of them quiet dudes, he would F your world up man"

Then I just walk away...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

So... in one group chat of me and my friends, out of the blue one girl said "Let's do a poll if he was sexier when he was bigger"

I decided that there is no point in being nice indefinitely and replied to her "Maybe you should lose 10-15kg in order to be sexier".

She tried to act cool but obviously it had some impact. She resorted to defending her being overweight with "I eliminated some gastrointestinal problems when I got fatter".  :nevreness:

(for the record - she was not anorexic before, so that health improvement is probably just a lucky coincidence)

Recently she is also calling me Dolph Lundgren jokingly LOL... fortunately that is funny and not irritating.

Tomorrow I am going to one pancake party. It should become interesting when I refuse to eat more than symbolic one. Happy times.  :nevreness:

• Like 1

So... in one group chat of me and my friends, out of the blue one girl said "Let's do a poll if he was sexier when he was bigger"

I decided that there is no point in being nice indefinitely and replied to her "Maybe you should lose 10-15kg in order to be sexier".

She tried to act cool but obviously it had some impact. She resorted to defending her being overweight with "I eliminated some gastrointestinal problems when I got fatter".  :nevreness:

(for the record - she was not anorexic before, so that health improvement is probably just a lucky coincidence)

Recently she is also calling me Dolph Lundgren jokingly LOL... fortunately that is funny and not irritating.

Tomorrow I am going to one pancake party. It should become interesting when I refuse to eat more than symbolic one. Happy times.  :nevreness:

What?! Somebody needs to mind their own business. Still, good job on the retort. I would have gone with something like: "Hey, unless you intend to f*** me, you don't get to judge."

Nooo! Don't eat the pancakes! Throw them to the ceiling to see if they stick instead! What? Yes, I am an adult.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Nooo! Don't eat the pancakes! Throw them to the ceiling to see if they stick instead! What? Yes, I am an adult.

I thought this was the sort of thing that all adults do?

Because they can.

Because they're adults.

Yeah, definitely good job on the retort.  Seriously, I'd be starting to get real snarky with some of these folks.  There's a little insensitive, and then there's just plain rude.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

What?! Somebody needs to mind their own business. Still, good job on the retort. I would have gone with something like: "Hey, unless you intend to f*** me, you don't get to judge."

Ah, in our country it is normal to poke into others' business to some degree.

But this is starting to be too much.

In the beginning it was entertaining but now it is starting to be irritating.

However, those comments give me extra motivation, so they are not useless.

This time next year I WILL be Dolph Lundgren :-)

Our pancakes are different than yours.

It would be difficult for them to stick when rolled like this :-D

7lz5uuca.jpg

Ah, in our country it is normal to poke into others' business to some degree. But this is starting to be too much. In the beginning it was entertaining but now it is starting to be irritating. However, those comments give me extra motivation, so they are not useless. This time next year I WILL be Dolph Lundgren :-) Our pancakes are different than yours. It would be difficult for them to stick when rolled like this :-D 7lz5uuca.jpg

Mmh... juggling then?

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Ah, in our country it is normal to poke into others' business to some degree. But this is starting to be too much. In the beginning it was entertaining but now it is starting to be irritating. However, those comments give me extra motivation, so they are not useless. This time next year I WILL be Dolph Lundgren :-) Our pancakes are different than yours. It would be difficult for them to stick when rolled like this :-D 7lz5uuca.jpg

That looks like the kind of pancake I want to be eating.

On topic, I don't have very many annoying comment stories as most people don't give a crap about my weight loss past, "hey, you're losing those love handles!" Though I do have one from Christmas, when a family member tried to push a plate of chips, dips and sweets and I said, "No thank you, I'm on a diet" she replied with "It's okay, it's Christmas!" Not sure if that's funny to anyone else, but I thought it was funny, because you know; on Christmas calories don't count.

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

That looks like the kind of pancake I want to be eating.

On topic, I don't have very many annoying comment stories as most people don't give a crap about my weight loss past, "hey, you're losing those love handles!" Though I do have one from Christmas, when a family member tried to push a plate of chips, dips and sweets and I said, "No thank you, I'm on a diet" she replied with "It's okay, it's Christmas!" Not sure if that's funny to anyone else, but I thought it was funny, because you know; on Christmas calories don't count.

yeah I heard that... someone was trying to give me some cookies and such at work and I was like... oh I don't eat cookies but they look fabulous... she said I know you are on a diet but it's Christmas!!... I was all "I'm sorry I don't eat them I am sure they are delicious but no thank you"

then she says "I can't believe you aren't even going to try one I slaved all day making cookies!"

sigh... I replied "I am sorry but my guts and insane gluten intolerance don't leave me just because it's christmas. It's nothing against you but I can't eat them"

she wandered off grumbling about rudeness... sigh... my coworker was like "hey don't mind her you tried to be nice"

why can't people take a polite no without turning into me being rude???

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

yeah I heard that... someone was trying to give me some cookies and such at work and I was like... oh I don't eat cookies but they look fabulous... she said I know you are on a diet but it's Christmas!!... I was all "I'm sorry I don't eat them I am sure they are delicious but no thank you"

then she says "I can't believe you aren't even going to try one I slaved all day making cookies!"

sigh... I replied "I am sorry but my guts and insane gluten intolerance don't leave me just because it's christmas. It's nothing against you but I can't eat them"

she wandered off grumbling about rudeness... sigh... my coworker was like "hey don't mind her you tried to be nice"

Possible witty retorts:

1-Hey, it's not like I was there holding the whip, so don't make me the bad guy!

2- Well, why don't YOU eat them then?

3- Thanks, but I had my sweet tooth pulled last month.

That's all I got. But seriously, people need to chill the f*** out about force feeding sweets to other people. We need to make up a religion that forbids grains/sweets/whatever we don't eat. That's the only way people will back off. Political correctness to the rescue!

• Like 1

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I'm convinced it's a widespread epidemic. Everyone wants to be victimized and your coworker is an A-1 example. It kills me when people can't just take a compliment and reason in their own minds that there must be a good reason someone's not accepting the gift/food.  

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

That's all I got. But seriously, people need to chill the f*** out about force feeding sweets to other people. We need to make up a religion that forbids grains/sweets/whatever we don't eat. That's the only way people will back off. Political correctness to the rescue!

Am I wrong for "Our Lord Goku" being the first thing to pop into my head? 

• Like 2

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

Possible witty retorts:

1-Hey, it's not like I was there holding the whip, so don't make me the bad guy!

2- Well, why don't YOU eat them then?

3- Thanks, but I had my sweet tooth pulled last month.

I think I might try #3 next time... 

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I've lost around 40 pounds over a few years. People are generally complimentary, but there are some that question whether I am on steroids or if I had some sort of surgery (I lift a lot and have large biceps). They are shocked that I used the plan of "eat less junk and exercise" and flat out don't believe me.

Also, some people ask me why I still exercise after I lost all of that weight, as if it is no longer nessesary.

• Like 1

"Vivere Militare est" Seneca

"If man makes it, don't eat it." Jack Lalanne

I've lost around 40 pounds over a few years. People are generally complimentary, but there are some that question whether I am on steroids or if I had some sort of surgery (I lift a lot and have large biceps). They are shocked that I used the plan of "eat less junk and exercise" and flat out don't believe me.

Also, some people ask me why I still exercise after I lost all of that weight, as if it is no longer nessesary.

Ugh. People really want to believe there is a magic pill or trick that can make them healthy and sexy in just a few days, don't they?

Congratulations on the weight loss, Iron Centurion! And keep rocking those workouts!

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

"If you just take that hat off you'll run faster."

I think I've heard that every running training I've done with a group so far and it's not funny anymore. If I take that hat off I'll go inside where my ears don't freeze off and I'm pretty sure I won't run faster inside. I have very sensitive ears and even in summer I wear big ass headphones to cover them up. Stop complaining about my hat, it's not coming off.

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I hate it when people try to talk me into eating food that I don't want to eat... like, how hard is it to respect that I don't want to eat that?! It's annoying. I'm sure you've all dealt with that. 

• Like 1

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

I hate it when people try to talk me into eating food that I don't want to eat... like, how hard is it to respect that I don't want to eat that?! It's annoying. I'm sure you've all dealt with that. 

I lie like there is no tomorrow lol. I'm allergic, I already ate, I don't like that, etc. etc. Allergic works really well because no one gets offended and stops pushing at the same time.

• Like 1

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Annoying to me:

So you really have a heart problem?

No, I don't I just have a pacemaker, defibrillator thing in my chest for the hell of it. (maybe one of theses that will be my actual response)

• Like 1

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

Annoying to me:

So you really have a heart problem?

No, I don't I just have a pacemaker, defibrillator thing in my chest for the hell of it. (maybe one of theses that will be my actual response)

Seriously? People actually say that? Wow, just... wow!

You could try the PC card on them: It's not a heart problem! It's a heart condition!

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.