Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

You need more carbs.

I hear that all the time from my mom, she is the same way with me and my diet choices, although she is always telling me to eat more now instead of less.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

Actually most research on the workings of the brain and eating disorders show that eating disorders start before a baby is even born. It's mostly a coping mechanism and not so much started by bad diet advise or hearing you're too fat. But surely those things don't help either. Ie if you're not wired for eating disorders it's very unlikely you can develop one.

Even if I did believe that, there is a reason the number of people with eating disorders is skyrocketing and it has nothing to do with brain chemistry. Even if it's decided at birth who has the ability to get one the media/society is still largely responsible for being the ones to trigger it.

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

Even if I did believe that, there is a reason the number of people with eating disorders is skyrocketing and it has nothing to do with brain chemistry. Even if it's decided at birth who has the ability to get one the media/society is still largely responsible for being the ones to trigger it.

Is the number of people with eating disorders skyrocketing, or the number of people who seek treatment for (and therefore report) their eating disorder skyrocketing?

Warning. Rant in progress.

"I've only eaten (insert minuscule amount of food) today"  Voiced with pride.

By my mother-in-law, who is type 1 diabetic by the way.  Today it was a handful of breakfast cereal.  That was all she ate until dinnertime tonight.  I mean seriously????? I can't work out if she's actively trying to damage her health, or just telling porkie-pies as an attention seeking attempt.  *faceslap*

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I guess I officially joined the "Eating a lot" comments. Since I went full paleo, I've been making a giant bowl of chili and taking it into work to eat through the week. Started getting the "You're gonna turn into chili" and "Do you ever stop eating?"

Guess it's only a matter of time now...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Oh my gosh guys, I get the Mum thing, mine is 160 cm tall and weighs 115 kilos, her legs look like sausages ready to burst, she is diabetic and has a health problem list as long as my arm. She walks about 1 km a day and swims maybe 3 times a week. She then sleeps between 2 and 3 hours in the afternoon, because she sets her alarm for 3.00 in the am to chat with friends in America and Europe.........crazy as they don't reciprocate and this has lead to her body clock being all screwed up.

She asked me the other month how I was losing weight, I said diet and bloody hard work. She said, no really what are you doing, I showed her the Paleo/primal diet sites, talked her through my interval, weight, walking and swimming regime and again said diet and bloody hard work. She says to me what about shakes, I just shook my head.

All the while I am explaining to her that all those little sugary things she consumes during the day add up, teaspoon in the coffee, flavoured yoghurt, fruit juice, fruit, dried fruit/flavours in her porridge, the " healthy" breakfast cereal, let's not even go there with her consumption of over processed carbs, white bread, white sugar, pasta, white rice, packet gravies etc.

Anyway I called her on this women's magazine booklet " the quick fix" diet lose two dress sizes in 10 days type BS. She retorts with, well when you stop this exercise and diet nonsense you'll get twice as big as you were, it always happens. My reply was it is now my lifestyle and not a fad and don't ask for my help again, do what you want, drink whatever Shake has the best packaging and good luck.

She is a toxic person and I wish she would take better care of herself.

• Like 2

Wait! What............?

You can lead a horse* to water but you can't make it drink.

All too often I've encountered the eat right and exercise isn't what they want to hear thing. Really they just want to be told about a magic bullet.

*I am not comparing your or anyone's mother to a horse.

• Like 4

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

You can lead a horse* to water but you can't make it drink.

All too often I've encountered the eat right and exercise isn't what they want to hear thing. Really they just want to be told about a magic bullet.

I got a Magic Bullet! I got it from Costco!

magic+bullet.jpg

The question is : will it blend?

• Like 6

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

I just shook my head.

With some people, you can get in a good workout from just shaking your head...

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Why do I feel a thread of "Yo' Mama" jokes coming on? :)

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Yeah, I have the same frustrations with my mom, grandma and aunts. They all have done Weight Watchers for years, over and over. They've all lost over 100 pounds, sometimes several times. They get determined, they go together, they work out together, they eat by points, all of that stuff.... but they can't sustain it. They never stay with it. They also deal with weight inconsistencies (which, upon examining their daily food trackers, have a lot to do with the inconsistent amount of carbs, sugar and gluten they're eating), 

But at the same time, they just don't understand how I could change my diet to exclude so many foods. They say that you'll never stick with a diet that makes you feel deprived or cuts out entire food groups. Cosmo has also been writing articles that shame cutting out whole food groups by calling them disorders.. True, I have some cravings and I eat something non-paleo every once in a while, but I've stayed 90% paleo the past 2 years. That's longer than my mom, grandma and aunts have ever stayed with Weight Watchers, working out ridiculous amounts and not eating enough calories. You just have to be available and ready to give a tiny bit of advice here or there, when you know they're likely to receive it well.

• Like 3

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

What you shouldn't do is cut out macronutrient groups which is entirely different than food groups. I don't think a lot of people get that. Not eating grains doesn't mean no carbs. Not eating meat doesn't mean no protein. Etc. etc. The macros are what your body needs.

• Like 2

"I like you just the way you are" - Mr. Rogers

In Br0din's name we gain.

I understand the "frustrating mom" phenomenon. While my mom is super supportive, she always tries to push bread back on me or behaves as though she has to defend her choices to me. She's always like "eventually you'll want to think about adding bread back in. You need the fiber!".

She still believes that I should not eat so many eggs because the cholesterol is bad for me, and she recommends that I buy egg whites instead of whole eggs.

She means well and she supports me, but she won't let go of those old ideas.

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

LOL SilverRapier, my mom does the same thing. She gets all motherly about how much cholesterol and how many calories are in eggs. :P

• Like 2

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

My wife has come around quite a long distance from the old days of making fun of my attempts at diet.  "If you just ate what I ate, you'd lose weight!" ... discounting the fact that she was bigger than me, and so far had precisely zero success at losing weight by sticking to her existing food habits. Lately, seeing me shed belly weight and build muscle and do 5k and 10k runs and all sorts of stuff, I've watched her diet slowly and subtly change (including actually eating protein and iron on occasion, which is great since she's an anemic vegetarian). 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I have stated that I would cook, My mom thinks that is great and would love me to cook. That's all it ever amounts to

Maybe I should just start printing off weekly shopping list, I have  Sebastien Noel's The Paleo Meal Plan.  See if they'll go for it and stop complaining about me not getting enough carbs and wheat.

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

The main thing my Mother seems to not understand that this is not a diet, it is now a lifestyle, we have passed the 30 day make a habit thing and it is now just what I do. 

It is sustainable long term, I am getting absolutely everything I need from the foods I consume ( although calorie deficit is sometimes a worry ), but she is clinging to shakes and quick fix diets that cannot be sustained for long or are just plain wrong.

Anyway it is her business I guess and I have now decided I will not say another thing about weight, food or exercise around her, after I swap her clothes at Target, that she complained of being a small 24 when she brought them, uh huh, sure they were small and you weren't just bigger?!?   :hopelessness: 

Wait! What............?

Not so much something people say, but more something people do that annoys me the most.

Not being accountable for everything they eat. The number of times I hear "but I don't eat very much, and I just can't seem to lose weight" and then call them on the chocolate bar they just ate, I often get "oh but that doesn't count because I skipped (insert meal here)"

Every single time I've lost weight, a big part of it has always been the fact that I own up to everything I put in my mouth. And then even if I don't stick to my diet 100%, when my weigh loss falters, I can see exactly why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses