Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

Not sure what joke I made, but okay. Either way, do you see anyone else getting all bent out of shape?

By the way, congratulations on finding internet articles to support your opinion. I could probably find articles supporting the view that the earth is flat.

Peer reviewed studies about harassment women receive online, published since 2010.  Just since 2010, there's more, of course.

Strangely, a Google scholar search for "flat earth" does not turn up any peer-reviewed articles about how the earth is flat.

Also, I see it as a problem that more people aren't bent out of shape.  People not caring about this stuff is why we still have sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

No one was being sexist, calm down.

Really.

Butts.

I've always been surprised at these kind of comments. I always thought they would be made by jerks who don't know anything about fitness, but last saturday I was talking with my boyfriend's brother about my new fitness plans (he does a lot of exercise himself and it's very fit) and I was more than puzzled when the first two things he said were:

1) But you already do tapdance, that's enough for you.

2) Bodyweight training? But you are going to bulk up, and that is not beautiful in a woman.

Argh.

I have an overwhelming urge to throat punch people who say things like this.

• Like 4

Level 6 Ranger/Warrior

Str:26 Dex:13 Stam:17 Con:12 Wis:12 Cha:3

Current Challenge: A Ranger Respawns

Peer reviewed studies about harassment women receive online, published since 2010.  Just since 2010, there's more, of course.

Strangely, a Google scholar search for "flat earth" does not turn up any peer-reviewed articles about how the earth is flat.

Also, I see it as a problem that more people aren't bent out of shape.  People not caring about this stuff is why we still have sexism, racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc.

Really.

FWIW, I am bent out of shape, but rarely help in these discussions, especially since you were kicking butt (even if he didn't notice it).

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I have an overwhelming urge to throat punch people who say things like this.

Me too, but seen my actual upper body strength I'd only cause a fit of laughter. (But my time will arrive!)

The thing is that he continued asking questions about why did I wanted to do exercise. The matter itself seemed to puzzle him. When I went on about how many reasons I had to do it: it's fun, I want to feel stronger, I want to feel better in general, I want to be able to do things that wonder and frighten me at the same time, like handstands or climbing to trees... he looked at me as if I was an alien from outer space O_o

• Like 2

Me too, but seen my actual upper body strength I'd only cause a fit of laughter. (But my time will arrive!)

The thing is that he continued asking questions about why did I wanted to do exercise. The matter itself seemed to puzzle him. When I went on about how many reasons I had to do it: it's fun, I want to feel stronger, I want to feel better in general, I want to be able to do things that wonder and frighten me at the same time, like handstands or climbing to trees... he looked at me as if I was an alien from outer space O_o

That's it! Keep working working out until this can happen:

"Why do you exercise?" "So I can do - PUNCH - this!"

• Like 3

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Is it worth pointing out that I don't think I've heard any fellow men refer to a woman as "not a typical woman" as a negative thing? If they refer to something atypical about a woman in the negative sense it tends to be done somewhat more offensively. But I can only really speak from my own experiences on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This usually comes up when I say things like I don't like jewelry or I don't care about anniversaries. Or perhaps that I get really into my fantasy football team. It isn't a negative thing because it's kind of like, "hey, you're cool, you're like a guy". But I feel for my fellow women because it is negative towards them, as if because I exhibit more male traits I'm better or cooler or whatever. Take for example the saying, "well you aren't a typical black guy". That's a compliment to that specific person because they don't fit into whatever negative stereotypes of black people there are. However, it is offensive to the black race as a whole because it's grouping them into one big negative stereotype that this person doesn't fit into.

It's like the snowflake thing. We are all more different than we are similar, so why is it an anomaly that someone doesn't fit a stereotype? It's actually anomalous for someone to be/fit into a stereotype.

Enough of all this though - I've got a new one.

My cousin has battled for years with various food allergies and trying to figure out exactly which foods she's allergic to. She's tried cutting out gluten, soy, etc. But she's not very motivated and will eat a McDonalds Cheeseburger and then whine about her stomach hurting. The other night she texted that her Girl Scout cookies came in and now her stomach hurts. I don't have many diet rules, but one for sure is that if you are eating something and it produces an immediate negative reaction, stop eating it. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who says, "I'm allergic to gluten, soy, and dairy" and then eats a cookie and complains about a stomach ache.

• Like 2

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Really.

Yes. While I technically cannot speak for the OP, I feel like I can say this with a fair degree of certainty. A joke was made, followed by a phone-induced melodramatic emphasis on the fact that it was, indeed, a joke (since the internet fairs poorly at picking up sarcasm).

I suppose I probably should have stayed out of the conversation, but it annoys me to see people getting jumped on for no good reason.

Also, thank you for taking my hyperbole literally.

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

My cousin has battled for years with various food allergies and trying to figure out exactly which foods she's allergic to. She's tried cutting out gluten, soy, etc. But she's not very motivated and will eat a McDonalds Cheeseburger and then whine about her stomach hurting. The other night she texted that her Girl Scout cookies came in and now her stomach hurts. I don't have many diet rules, but one for sure is that if you are eating something and it produces an immediate negative reaction, stop eating it. I really don't have a lot of sympathy for someone who says, "I'm allergic to gluten, soy, and dairy" and then eats a cookie and complains about a stomach ache.

fish_slap_2_by_ibiscorosa-d65djgt.jpg

• Like 4

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Not sure how to separate a quote...

This usually comes up when I say things like I don't like jewelry or I don't care about anniversaries. Or perhaps that I get really into my fantasy football team. It isn't a negative thing because it's kind of like, "hey, you're cool, you're like a guy". But I feel for my fellow women because it is negative towards them, as if because I exhibit more male traits I'm better or cooler or whatever. Take for example the saying, "well you aren't a typical black guy". That's a compliment to that specific person because they don't fit into whatever negative stereotypes of black people there are. However, it is offensive to the black race as a whole because it's grouping them into one big negative stereotype that this person doesn't fit into.

It's like the snowflake thing. We are all more different than we are similar, so why is it an anomaly that someone doesn't fit a stereotype? It's actually anomalous for someone to be/fit into a stereotype.

That seems to only be because you assign a negative connotation to it as well. Liking jewelry and anniversaries isn't a negative stereotype for women, nor is it a positive one, it's just one that seems to be shared by a large majority of women. Thereby you not liking them, makes you "not typical". Not negative, not positive, just different from what seems to be the norm.

In the end, I just think society these days lacks a sense of humor.

Enough of all this though - I've got a new one.

This is my fiance... I've pretty much just given up on getting her to realize it. If she complains about it, I shrug and say something along the lines of "Told you so"

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

A lot of times people ask me why I'm vegan and I answer that it makes me feel better and it's easier keep my diet under control. And all the time their response is "At least you're doing it for the right reasons"

And all I want to say is "What's wrong with all the other reasons? Why is not wanting to use animals for food a bad reason? Why do you care?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good

Secret Identity: Kristy

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 5.5 | DEX 5.25 | STA 5.5 | CON 8.75 | WIS 7 | CHA 2.5

Day 3 of Whole30. Constant, constant verbal flack from co-workers. I just tell them that it's doctors orders. Since I have jacked up insides, it's plausible.

I haven't done Whole30, but I did go 100% Paleo for a month, I started cooking a huge bowl of chili and bringing it into work and just eating off of that for a week. Only comments I get now are more along the lines of "Is that what you eat all the time?" and "Oh the smells awesome" which are ok to me... there's also only 2 other people that even know I went Paleo, so I guess that helps...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Day 3 of Whole30. Constant, constant verbal flack from co-workers. I just tell them that it's doctors orders. Since I have jacked up insides, it's plausible.

I hate to be a bummer but just don't bring it up. Or if they offer something that's not Whole30 friendly, just say "no thanks". You do not have to justify your choices to anyone. You don't have to explain why you don't want what they're offering. Just say no. This obviously won't get rid of those fools who tease and say stuff like, "oh trying to eat healthy huh?" The best way to diffuse this is with a joke or just ignore it and change the subject.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

cavemen-and-the-value-of-living-organica

Lastday. Capricorn 29. Year of the Cave 3. Carousel begins.

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I hate to be a bummer but just don't bring it up. Or if they offer something that's not Whole30 friendly, just say "no thanks". You do not have to justify your choices to anyone. You don't have to explain why you don't want what they're offering. Just say no. This obviously won't get rid of those fools who tease and say stuff like, "oh trying to eat healthy huh?" The best way to diffuse this is with a joke or just ignore it and change the subject.

The problem with working in the military is that all of them are thise fools who tease. Plus part of the camaraderie is sharing food (especially when we miss regular meals) and when I can't/won't take part, they demand reasons.

• Like 1

Yes! And if they continue to stick their nose where it doesn't belong I tell them other food gives me violent explosive diarrhea, and describe it to them using as many sensory details as I can. It takes a little practice to keep a straight face, but, so worth it.

• Like 6

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Explaining to people that anaphylaxis will kill you..........oh but that's the same as being allergic right..........yes it is, but it's allergens on a 'roid rage and it will kill you if not treated immediately...........I think I'm allergic to grass.............I hope it kills you! O_o

As someone who was allergic to grass, and direct contact caused bloody welts and rashes...

Thanks?

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I was picky when I was in, I would rarely be seen in the galley after payday, I only ate pizza and smoked Marlboro's, and the occasional eating out.  

When we had MRE's I would try and trade for the candy bars.  

"do you want ..."  [enter food and repeat 5 times with pie/cake/candy bar]

Briguy, level 2 STR 1|DEX 2|STA 1|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2[/TD][/TR][/TABLE] "Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. In short, enter a mold without being caged in it. Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!" Bruce Lee "To Live by a principal is to live, do die with no principal you have not lived."

Battle Log   My Fitness Pal

As someone who was allergic to grass, and direct contact caused bloody welts and rashes...

Thanks?

Being allergic or anaphylactic is one thing but the annoying thing is " I think I'm allergic ". Like it causes bloody rashes and welts or mild discomfort, both reactions to be sure, but rashes v discomfort.

No offence meant Thrillo.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?