Forums are back in action! ×

God's Awesome Word

So the idea for a thread-based bible study came up during late night chatroom discussion.  Considering that the Bible is a book, putting it here seems appropriate.  Lets keep this civil of course, but I think open discussion on God's instructions to us is an important facet on living a better life.

Now that being said I'll put this up for the first topic of discussion:  What is your favorite bible verse and why?

-------------

Mine is Revelation 22:1-5 (NIV version) (and no I'm not posting it here.  go crack open a Bible or use the internet! :P).

This has been my favorite verse for a long time as it is in the very end of God's word and it is reassurance that no matter what hell we are going through, even when we go through the worst of the worst, it will be okay in the End because He is in control.  We will be included in His perfect world once we've walked our journey.

• Like 1

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

Although it varies as I go through different stages of my live, I'm particularly attached to 1 Corinthians 13:1-3.  This passage serves as a constant reminder to me that all of my actions should flow forth from a love of God and my fellow man, instead of a thirst for acclaim or power.

I love your choice, Ki4wlg.  It reminds me of the Mercy Me song, "I Can Only Imagine"

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

I have an interesting story to go with my favorite verse :)

so we were riding bikes... doing 50 miles in a weekend... we were about 10 miles from the car on the second day... my youngest stopped and threw his bike on the ground... he had had enough... he was tired and cranky and ready to go to bed...

so I looked at him and said "you know when I get frustrated because I can't do something or I am having a hard time I think of my favorite verse but I think of it like the little engine that could"

he looked at me like I was nuts and said "huh?!"

I said "my favorite verse is I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me but I think of it like the little engine... I can do all things I can do all things I can do all things"

he was like "ok??" and started peddaling again...

so after like a half mile he started slowing down again and I asked him "what does all mean?"

he said "I don't know mom"

I said "does all mean some" <no mom> "does all mean just a few?" <no mom> "does all mean a couple?" <no mom> "does all mean only some?" <no mom> "well what does all mean?"

he said "duh mom all means ALL" <he was yelling at that point>

he started peddaling again though...

so at the 8 miles left to the car mark I asked him "so is this one of those things"

he said "no mom"

I thought he had totally missed the point and I was ready to re-explain the whole thing... when he continues "mom we have already done 32 miles we only have 8 miles left this isn't a thing... this is HALF a thing!!"

• Like 5

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

AlienJenn, that is a wonderful, powerful story! Thank you for sharing it!

My favorite verses are Proverbs 3:5-6. I don't know if you know what "Walk to Emmaus;" it is a weekend spiritual retreat done through The Upper Room. You can only attend Walk to Emmaus once a a pilgrim. The verse(s) for my weekend was Proverbs 3:5-6. My weekend was very powerful, a mountain-top experience that really started me working on my relationship with Jesus. I remember this Scripture because of that weekend and because of the actual words that are in it.

Level 3 Adventurer

Ogre disguised high elf

STR 1, DEX 0, STA 0, CON 3, WIS 4, CHA 1

1st Challenge   2nd Challenge    3rd Challenge   Current Challenge

and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. Mark 12:30

Psalm 144:1 KJV

"Blessed be The Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight."

As a US Marine, and a martial artist, this verse means a lot to me.

• Like 1

Lv 2 Human Assassin
Str:4
Dex:3
Sta:2
Con:1
Wis:2
Cha:0
Motto: "Don't give up yet...You've still got a couple of M*therf*ckers to prove wrong!"
Previous Challenge:Challenge 1: Ryan's Quest for Inner Peace

Auuughhh this is such a difficult question! There are so many verses that ust bring me to my knees, but most of them are in Psalm. Here are some of them:

I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill. Selah. I laid me down and slept: I awaked; for the Lord sustained me. I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about. -Psalm 3:4-6

I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the presence of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures forever more. -Psalm 16:9-11

Psalm 18:

4. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. 5. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. 6. In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. 

16. He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. 17. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. 

28. For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. 

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

I found more! :D

Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God. They are brought down and fallen: but we are risen, and stand upright. -Psalm 20:7-8

For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. -Hebrews 2:10

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. -Hebrews 2:14-15

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need. -Hebrews 4:16

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) -Hebrews 10:23

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. -Hebrews 11:6

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. -Hebrews 12:2

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: -Hebrews 12:14

Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: For our God is a consuming fire. -Hebrews 12:27-28

Let brotherly love continue. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them; and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body. -Hebrews 13:1-3

Let your conversation be without covetuousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. -Hebrews 13:5-6

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

Right now, this one is really weighing on my heart.... I need so much to just let go and to trust in God.

Matthew 6:27-29

27 Who among you by worrying can add a single moment to your life? 28 And why do you worry about clothes? Notice how the lilies in the field grow. They don’t wear themselves out with work, and they don’t spin cloth. 29 But I say to you that even Solomon in all of his splendor wasn’t dressed like one of these.

Right now, this one is really weighing on my heart.... I need so much to just let go and to trust in God.

Matthew 6:27-29

27 Who among you by worrying can add a single moment to your life? 28 And why do you worry about clothes? Notice how the lilies in the field grow. They don’t wear themselves out with work, and they don’t spin cloth. 29 But I say to you that even Solomon in all of his splendor wasn’t dressed like one of these.

Wow Heather,  I'm glad you posted this, I really really needed to hear this one :)

-RescuedRuckus

Don't Give Up the Ship

I have to say that stumbling upon this was very enligthening. I haven't been a Christian quite a year yet. I've had my struggles but the verse that I first learned that helps me through is the following:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with endurance the race taht was set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before HIm endured the cross, despising the same, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-3

Life in general is a race. We just have to remember what the prize is. We will struggle along the way but remember that Christ believes in us and we need to push through the pain and hurt and make it to the finish line.

[progress=green][/progress]

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with endurance the race taht was set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before HIm endured the cross, despising the same, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:1-3

Life in general is a race. We just have to remember what the prize is. We will struggle along the way but remember that Christ believes in us and we need to push through the pain and hurt and make it to the finish line.

Yes. This.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

I love Psalm 3:5-6 a LOT, but my "personal" scripture verse is Joshua 1:9.  "Be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed, for the Lord thy God will be with thee whithersoever thou goest."  I discovered that verse when I was 15.  We had moved from Utah to Florida (huge culture shock for me) and then I remembered it when we moved back to Utah a few years later.  And it's just become a theme in my life - I have no idea what's going on or what's ahead for me, but I'm not terrified of it because I know the Lord will take care of me.  

I'm reading the New Testament to my son right now and kind of excited about it.  We've read the Book of Mormon and now we're moving onto the NT and I love them both so much, but it's so neat to read the scriptures through my son's eyes, you know?  

1 John 4:20 is one that's been important to my development.  I used to throw it at people I disagreed with.  Now I need it to keep myself in the right.

I also like Hebrews 12:1-3, since it's got a nice tie-in to endurance sports: 

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Right now for me, its Romans 5:8

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

I keep not doing as I should, and getting distracted by all the things going on in my life, but this reminds me that even while I am not as faithful as I should be, God's love for me is just so amazingly deep.

Time and time again, I find myself coming back to Phil 4: 11 - 13

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

• Like 2

Jessi

A work in progress. Daily trying to chisel out the best version of myself.

Time and time again, I find myself coming back to Phil 4: 11 - 13

11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

All of Phil 4 to me I especially love verses 4-9:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone.The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me—practise these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

• Like 2

I latched onto this verse when I was in high school (many eons ago).

If Paul can write about being content while sitting in a jail cell, I don't have any reasons for the complaints that so easily slip from the tongue. I've often found that living a Godly life has less to do with checking off a list of do's and dont's and more on attitude. Both inwardly and to each other.

I try to live graciously, and these verses help me do that.

• Like 3

Jessi

A work in progress. Daily trying to chisel out the best version of myself.

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope."

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.