Forums are back in action! ×

The Heart of an Athlete

So about a month back I went into donate blood and I was deferred because my resting heart rate was too low, it was under 50 bpm. They asked if I was exercise resistant, an athlete, and well I don't think of myself as one.

Oh sure I dropped over 100 pounds by that point and have taken to running 8k every other day and do calisthenics on days I'm not running, but I am still obese. Oh yeah I know many people tell you to ignore BMI, but it is not a useless guideline, my body composition is not an outlier, I am still obese. So I didn't think of myself as an athlete.

So, as I was deferred, I didn't worry too much about it. Then last week the blood bank called me up again and asked me to donate. Well I went in and on my first screening my pulse rate was 41. Too low. They told me that I could wait 10 minutes and they'd see if anything changed. Well I tried to work myself up in my head to get my heart going and that seemed to work. 50 BPM on the dot was just enough to let me bleed for them. But now I was concerned about my heart. So I scheduled a doctor's appointment.

Well after being examined, some test, some blood work, and an EKG (which read my resting heart rate as I laid there as 38 BPM) I've been given the all clear. My heart beat is strong and regular. No murmurs, no abnormal beats, blood pressure is excellent. Everything looks good.

I still have a lot of body fat to lose, but underneath it all... beats the heart of an athlete.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

Hey, came across your profile and wanted to say how impressed I am with your accomplishments! Do you have a current challenge thread? I'd like to follow your progress! :peaceful:

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Thanks Ash, but the week of the beginning of the last challenge I moved into a new apartment. And I just didn't get around to starting a new one what with packing, unpacking, dealing with utilities and all that.. Not that I'm giving up or anything. Hell I joined a gym to start focusing on strength training two weeks ago. I just figured I could take a challenge off.

As soon as the next challenge rolls around I'll get another thread going. Have plenty of new goals in mind.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

38 BPM!!!  Dude, your heart could probably do massive deadlifts all by itself, so I'm sure the rest of your body will catch up quickly!  :peaceful:

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

Awesome story! Keep up the great work. 

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8