Forums are back in action! ×

Tattoos in a conservative work place

So for me, there's two sides to the "showing tattoos in an interview". On one side, I think anything that might be perceived as negative should stay out of an interview if you want the job. You are essentially trying to make people like you so they'll pay you money, so why bring up something that some people might find offensive. That being said, why should she have to hide her tattoos just to be hired? How is that different than pretending to be someone you're not? If you went on a date with someone and they took out all their piercings and toned down the makeup, you might think "oh, this is a clean cut girl". But if, on the second date, she shows up tatted and pierced with dark heavy makeup, then whatever perception you had on the first date is wrong because this girl was just "playing a part". If someone shows up as themself, faults, tattoos, and all, then kudos to them for being authentic. And honestly, it probably took some serious cojones to show up to a job interview with tattoos on display.

The reality is that people have a negative perception of tattoos. I have an aunt who cannot stand them, but both her daughters have one. 

On a somewhat unrelated note: I'm in an interracial relationship and my partner is struggling to find a job. He has been on over 15 interviews in the last few years with no offers. At some point we started to wonder (especially in a white male dominated field), is his race playing a part? Unfortunately for him, he can't hide the fact that he's black. I'm not even sure he would if he could because that's fake. But he also desperately needs to get out of his current job. 

Seems like there are two schools of thought: hide tattoos because they're unprofessional (and that's a personal choice, no one told you to do it) OR hide tattoos to avoid awkwardness/confrontation with the boss.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

as a somewhat related aside here re: hiring (because I do interview/hire people now and again)

In general, tats shouldn't be visible in an interview process in most environments b/c you are fully and appropriately clothed.  In an interview environment, this means modesty for everyone.  Some tats will still show, but generally this means, long/3/4 length sleeves, etc.  Men's shirts are buttoned and ladies, this ain't no club - modesty in the chest area - cover it all up - up to your collar bones.  Really.  As for legs (my biggest tat runs down my calf), wear nice pants to your interview.   Except for face, hands, some of the neck, etc. most of your tats won't be visible.  Easy problem solved.  And yeah, it sucks and yeah it's old school but it's life.  Just wait until you are old and hiring "those kids" and they have something you don't like.  Meh.  We all survive. 

Chances are if you are interviewing at a place where a tube top and mini skirt or concert t are appropriate for an interview, nobody will care about your tats.  Some places are like that. 

After I got my job and had been here a couple weeks, I asked my boss how she felt about my tat showing (I'm a big fan of visible tats).  We struck a bargain about it and I've pushed the envelope enough that most people are comfortable with it now.  But I waited and asked. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

IMO there are other reasons that tattoos are not appropriate for interviews or business meetings.

I don't have tattoos and just don't have an interest (plus I don't like needles) and while I don't think tattoos are offensive, I do find them very distracting if they're in a visible place.  In a work environment, I can see how a hiring manager would not necessarily want to take on someone with visible tattoos, such as sleeves or visible piercings other than the ears.  They could detract from the person herrself.  If this is a position that requires working with or for others, the manager doesn't want to send in someone with potentially distracting tattoos/piercings.

This is similar to why women shouldn't wear low cut shirts or short skirts in a professional setting.  I am a woman and I still find it really distracting when another woman has her chest out for the world to see.  I can only imagine how the men feel!

This is the mentality in my workplace, so I thought I'd share.  It's interesting how different it varies from place to place.  I work in an IT department of a 800+ person company.

Keliswicked, level 6 half Hobbit/ half Dwarf Druid

Progress Log  ||  Fitocracy!  || 2 3 4 5 6

as a somewhat related aside here re: hiring (because I do interview/hire people now and again)

In general, tats shouldn't be visible in an interview process in most environments b/c you are fully and appropriately clothed.  In an interview environment, this means modesty for everyone.  Some tats will still show, but generally this means, long/3/4 length sleeves, etc.  Men's shirts are buttoned and ladies, this ain't no club - modesty in the chest area - cover it all up - up to your collar bones.  Really.  As for legs (my biggest tat runs down my calf), wear nice pants to your interview.   Except for face, hands, some of the neck, etc. most of your tats won't be visible.  Easy problem solved.  And yeah, it sucks and yeah it's old school but it's life.  Just wait until you are old and hiring "those kids" and they have something you don't like.  Meh.  We all survive. 

Chances are if you are interviewing at a place where a tube top and mini skirt or concert t are appropriate for an interview, nobody will care about your tats.  Some places are like that. 

After I got my job and had been here a couple weeks, I asked my boss how she felt about my tat showing (I'm a big fan of visible tats).  We struck a bargain about it and I've pushed the envelope enough that most people are comfortable with it now.  But I waited and asked. 

Cover up to your collarbones - can you give me an example of what you mean by that? If I'm interpreting it correctly it seems pretty restrictive.

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

Cover up to your collarbones - can you give me an example of what you mean by that? If I'm interpreting it correctly it seems pretty restrictive.

pretty  much anything they'd sell at LOFT or Ann taylor. 

For example:  most tops on this page but with a sweater or jacket and more tailored pants.  Nothing even remotely low cut for an interview.  Ever.  I don't subscribe to you always have to wear a suit (depends on place) but you do need to cover up.  I've hired many times, many young women (and I mean right out of school young) and they were always dressed appropriately without wearing suits. 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

UK is a lot less uptight about this - and so is IT, which makes me happy.  Personally I'm of the opinion that if they're *that* uptight, I don't want to work for them anyway.  

(My tattoos are all above the elbow, though the SCIENCE one has appeared in this shorts-permitted heatwave; OTOH I've been pretty pierced too and I do have this ludicrous peroxide viking look going on :) )

I totally agree we should all be beyond this, but we are not.  Big BOOOOO!

Just had a conversation with a coworker about it who said "you know most of my employees have tattoos, I don't care but wow the customers sure do" and yeah.... *sigh*

I AM going the distance

to be honest, I have my next one planned and I'm so damned oppositional I feel like going tonight....

I AM going the distance

I am an elementary teacher and I have a rose tattoo on the side of my calf. Most of my pants and even capris cover it, but it isn't that big of a deal. There are a few teachers who have tattoos on their feet and they were sandal-like shoes all the time.  I know some school don't allow at and I think that is the "official" stance, but it is overlooked.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.†― Henry Ford

Epic Quest

First Challenge          Second Challenge         Third Challenge

Old post, but still helpful and relevant.

Here's the thing. I was told that your skills and qualifications should be what lingers in an interviewer's mind once you leave. It's hard to make that happen if the interviewer is compelled to say, "Nice top/necklace/whatever!" then they're noticing something that isn't germain to whether or not you'd be a good fit for the position.

I work in government and I haven't seen a single tattoo visible (and I work in a pretty big building) in the month I've been here. This confirmed what I already knew to be true: despite the fact that the dress code is business casual, government tends to lean more towards "business" than "casual."

My goal in dressing for whatever job that DOESN'T explicitly state that visible tattoos are okay is this: it needs to be a surprise to them IF, and only IF, I reveal the fact that I have tattoos. Otherwise, frankly, it's none of their business. (For reference, my tattoos are visible if I wear anything less than a crew-neck t-shirt or tank.) Thankfully, my own personal style has evolved away from cotton tank tops, t-shirts, etc. so that my tattoos are almost never visible. I'm not ashamed of them in the least, I just recognize that now that I'm not in college, I don't need to be flashing my tattoos (or that amount of skin) everywhere. I also still want to look nice on the weekends, so that covers them up in my off-hours as well.

Anyway. I love tattoos, both mine and other people's. It's silly that the stigma still lingers, but it is what it is. There are a lot of attitudes lingering that have no place in modern society, but here we are.

As long as you are willing to cover up your tattoos while at work then go for it. I am a female with tattoos from my collar bone to my elbows and I just make sure I always wear collared, 3/4 sleeve shirts or turtle necks. Yes it is annoying sometimes but I deal. Honestly, I'm pretty sure my company wouldn't care if I showed my tattoos, I just prefer to keep them covered because I feel it is more professional.

This. Almost. My workplace would almost certainly care. But I do feel it's one of those things where if you dress well at work, people will perceive you to be more professional and respectful of them and the work you're doing.

I do marketing for a hospital and no one seems to mind (one on each ankle and another on the back of my shoulder). I got the ankle tattoos when I was 16, and kind of wish I put them somewhere that could be more easily hidden. It really depends on what field you want to go into I think. If its a field where you even question if visible tattoos are acceptable, you might want to put them some place that won't be noticed. It's annoying, but better safe than unemployed

I am sleeved up and work for an engineering firm, I just make sure to wear long sleeves on days when i have meeting or job sites to go to.   Ya it sucks in the summer, but its the price you pay.

When I was hired my boss knew about my tattoos and didnt care, my work spoke for itself and they dont affect my client relationships since none of them even know I have tattoos.

Aspiring Ranger

{ STR: } { DEX: } { STA: } { CON: } { WIS: } { CHA: }

{ 1st Challenge } { Accountabilibudies: D&D }

I have a few. Nobody cares about them. But then, I live in a hippie town and do research for a living. Nobody cares as long as I am crunching my data right and publishing papers in the right places.

My $0.02 would be to do what you want to do. Its your life. Don't care about the man. Care about yourself, your family and your friends. If this means that you get tattoos, do so. Pandering to some otherworldly social norm is only going to make you less happy as time goes on. Be yourself.

Ancalagon The Black. Half Dragon Spellsword

1332520210.png

I interviewed and got a job in an outfit very similar to this.  The tattoo on top of my foot was covered by my shoes.

pretty  much anything they'd sell at LOFT or Ann taylor. 

For example:  most tops on this page but with a sweater or jacket and more tailored pants.  Nothing even remotely low cut for an interview.  Ever.  I don't subscribe to you always have to wear a suit (depends on place) but you do need to cover up.  I've hired many times, many young women (and I mean right out of school young) and they were always dressed appropriately without wearing suits. 

Hmm interesting. I mostly agree but I'm comfortable going slightly lower cut than that - last week I got a position (with big raise, yay) and for the interview I wore a suit and a jersey top with a cowl neck that wasn't revealing but def fell below collarbones. I guess a lot depends on where you live and what you do (I'm in government law).

Huntress

Current challenge - Rebels - Huntress lays the foundations

"The effort yields its own rewards"  - Data, Star Trek: TNG.

I think it really depends on the work place. I'm an accountant, which is traditionally a conservative field. However, at the University I work at, no one bats an eye at my tattoos. The situation would probably be very different if I worked at an accounting firm. Unfortunately, there's still a stigma attached to tattoos, and many people believe that if you have tattoos you can't possibly be professional or successful. I call shenanigans on that because I'm pretty sure that the fact that I have tattoos doesn't have anything to do with my intelligence, work ethic, or ability to perform my job. Just sayin'. 

It is all about that !! as you mentionned, tatoos are not so accepted in specific fields ...mainly in direct custummer relationship.

For a simple reason, people are reassured by normality, when it's about buying something. After if you go in a fashionable and kind of non classical clothing shop, tatoo can be an asset.

I love tatooes, but in my job i had to deal with "apparence" issues, like a sales girl who worked in a kid shop wearing all black, black liptstick a chopped head zombie t shirt... that scared the kids mums ! So after complains i had to tell her to have a specific dress code...(even if i loved her way of being, to the point that now she is my friend :P). The same for another girl that used to wear very sexy clothing (with generous brest) that made husband happy to go and shop whith their wifes, but not the wifes :) ! So same issue, had to tell her to dress in a more conservative way.....

Well i was so fed up, for that reason and others that i quitted the job :P (but appearence tatoos, muscles, weight, does matter in "real" world) and now i my current job i do help people to deal with that sometimes.

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Hmm interesting. I mostly agree but I'm comfortable going slightly lower cut than that - last week I got a position (with big raise, yay) and for the interview I wore a suit and a jersey top with a cowl neck that wasn't revealing but def fell below collarbones. I guess a lot depends on where you live and what you do (I'm in government law).

Congrats !!!

Yes dealing with visual apprearance matters but have to keep your personality alive !!!

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

What is this proffessional image? Who came up with it?

I have a beard, a natural thing and yet constantly meet pogonophobes who cast aspersions on me because I dare to keep what the gods gave me because "It's not professional!" I tell you what's not professional, judging a person on their hair, tats or piercings. I will grant you that in the early 90's at school someone was sent home for having a 4 letter word shaved into his head and I agree with that, the same as covering up offensive tattoos but damn, I don't care if you have full sleeves, long hair, beard and a dozen piercings when I come to do a job with you. Only that you're concientious, hard working and have a grasp of personal hygiene.

The other one that gets me is suits. Something based off a 17th century design which doesn't work for the modern world. You can't keep a wallet, phone and fat old car fob in the pockets without completely ruining the line of the suit. A pair of dickies work trousers would work much better and surely choosing your clothes for their practicality would be more professional! ARGHHH!

Back on topic. Get the tattoos, damn the man and wear them proud if you're comfortable with taking the doubters and making them realise you work hard and get results. Otherwise don't but remember when you are in a place to hire and a tattoo'd freak sits in front of you their tattoos do not make them any more or less professional.

I would love to agree with you that appearance doesn't matter, but unfortunately that's just not true. If you are being perceived as less reliable or competent due to the way you dress that does reflect in your work. Yes, over time you can prove yourself to everyone around you. But wouldn't it be nice if your co-workers, clients and bosses don't need a few months to years to trust you to do your job, rather than assume from the get-go that you're competent. Image matters. 

Now say you're hiring for a sales rep. Don't you think looking at their appearance is a part of making a professional decision? Or hiring anyone that has contact with customers? Or hiring someone for a job that has a lot of contacts within the company itself.

Also, where would you draw the line? Why is personal hygiene important if someone is good at their job? Why would you care if someone has blue hair? Why would facial tattoos be out?  

First impressions are important. 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

First impressions are not always important in a "must look sharp and clean and conservative like Special Agent Monkeynuts of the Bureau of Sharpness" way.  That's just one impression.  And there are lots and lots of jobs where making a shiny face-to-face impression isn't even on the spec sheet.  There's a reason I work with machines :)

(also to be fair, Blackadder, horrible spelling is going to lose you job interviews long before they see any ink! fix that!)

I would love to agree with you that appearance doesn't matter, but unfortunately that's just not true. If you are being perceived as less reliable or competent due to the way you dress that does reflect in your work. Yes, over time you can prove yourself to everyone around you. But wouldn't it be nice if your co-workers, clients and bosses don't need a few months to years to trust you to do your job, rather than assume from the get-go that you're competent. Image matters. 

Now say you're hiring for a sales rep. Don't you think looking at their appearance is a part of making a professional decision? Or hiring anyone that has contact with customers? Or hiring someone for a job that has a lot of contacts within the company itself.

Also, where would you draw the line? Why is personal hygiene important if someone is good at their job? Why would you care if someone has blue hair? Why would facial tattoos be out?  

First impressions are important. 

Trust, I work with someone who doesn't get personal hygiene. It makes it difficult for others to do their job. Them having a face tattoo or blue hair does nothing to effect the other person.

To say you wish you could agree with me but... means you're willing to perpetuate this idea. All it takes for people to be sensible and comfortable is for people to admit it's all bull and not give a crap should a nice smelling, bearded, tattooed lady with blue hair come to sell them a system!

Level 2 Half-Sidhe Archer (Toolkitted Ranger)

|Str 3|Dex 3|Sta 2|Con 3|Wis 2|Cha 1| 

Introduction: Roll your own adventure!  DBL: Aim to Misbehave!

Challenge 1, 2Browncoats 1, 2

Guest Dirty Deads

I have been judged by my tats. Got the Venom spider on the back of my head, but it covers easily with 1/4 inch of hair. Luckily trainers don't get judged by their tats so much.

Honestly, I think I get judged more on the beard.

Geez, this thread got snarky fast.

I AM going the distance