Forums are back in action! ×

Massage and other recovering secrets ...

Hey Everybody !

I am a huge fan of massage ((having and making) !!

I try to get as often as possible....as is not possible to have it every to days .... a sauna / hammam  / iced water and massage It really helps me to recover faster after hard training ! (And i love it :) ).

What are your secrets to feel good and recover ?

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

“The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.â€

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Drink water.

Take time to stretch (at least 30 minutes at the end of my day).

Eat all my veggies.

I would come pretty damn close to killing if it meant I could have a massage every day of my life! I used to be a massage therapist, and going through school (did a 1 year tech program with Miller-Motte) I was soooooo spoiled by the hands-on training portions! It pretty much guaranteed that for the last 6 months of the program you got a massage at least once a week, as we all practiced the techniques on each other. I'd probably go through it again just for that if it wasn't so freakin' expensive. :P

Massage is definitely one of the best recovery tools in anyone's tool belt, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Benefits of Massage

- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.

- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body's natural defense system, against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.

- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body's largest organ - the skin.

- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles

- Reduces spasms and cramping

- Increases joint flexibility.

- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts and eliminates subsequent pains of the athlete at any level.

- Releases endorphins - the body's natural painkiller - and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.

- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.

- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.

- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication.

- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.

- Assists with shorter labor for expectant mothers, as well as less need for medication, less depression and anxiety, and shorter hospital stays.

And to further innundate this site with massage-related love, here are a couple of studies that NFs will likely find applicable:

Massage Therapy Research Roundup, Volume 1

Massage Therapy Research Roundup, Volume 2

Research Roundup, Volume 3

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Drink water.

Take time to stretch (at least 30 minutes at the end of my day).

Eat all my veggies.

I would come pretty damn close to killing if it meant I could have a massage every day of my life! I used to be a massage therapist, and going through school (did a 1 year tech program with Miller-Motte) I was soooooo spoiled by the hands-on training portions! It pretty much guaranteed that for the last 6 months of the program you got a massage at least once a week, as we all practiced the techniques on each other. I'd probably go through it again just for that if it wasn't so freakin' expensive. :tongue:

Massage is definitely one of the best recovery tools in anyone's tool belt, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

The Benefits of Massage

- Increases circulation, allowing the body to pump more oxygen and nutrients into tissues and vital organs.

- Stimulates the flow of lymph, the body's natural defense system, against toxic invaders. For example, in breast cancer patients, massage has been shown to increase the cells that fight cancer.

- Increased circulation of blood and lymph systems improves the condition of the body's largest organ - the skin.

- Relaxes and softens injured and overused muscles

- Reduces spasms and cramping

- Increases joint flexibility.

- Reduces recovery time, helps prepare for strenuous workouts and eliminates subsequent pains of the athlete at any level.

- Releases endorphins - the body's natural painkiller - and is being used in chronic illness, injury and recovery from surgery to control and relieve pain.

- Reduces post-surgery adhesions and edema and can be used to reduce and realign scar tissue after healing has occurred.

- Improves range-of-motion and decreases discomfort for patients with low back pain.

- Relieves pain for migraine sufferers and decreases the need for medication.

- Provides exercise and stretching for atrophied muscles and reduces shortening of the muscles for those with restricted range of motion.

- Assists with shorter labor for expectant mothers, as well as less need for medication, less depression and anxiety, and shorter hospital stays.

And to further innundate this site with massage-related love, here are a couple of studies that NFs will likely find applicable:

Massage Therapy Research Roundup, Volume 1

Massage Therapy Research Roundup, Volume 2

Research Roundup, Volume 3

Very interesting !!

I have been trained to several type of massage:ayurvedic / Swedish / balinese traditional / traditional thai massage / and therapeutical sport massage.

It's one of my leisures :) , but now use the skills of some of my friends who even if they don't really support me in my challenge, share the same passion for massage so i can get one every 2 weeks for free :D !

Well i massage them back too (other days..).

Any other tips to feel good and recuperate after training ??

“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one.â€

“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.†“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done.†“Knowledge will give you power, but character respect.â€There are plenty of people in this world who know what they have to do to get what they want. The few that succeed are those who develop a character of constant and deliberate action.

You only have one life in this body so make the most of it by creating something that adds value to those around you.

Bruce Lee

Massage is the best! Thanks for the reminder, I'll book in after my next payday :)

Yesss !

Bruce Lee

I find Thai massage with some western-style deep tissue work is the very best thing for getting my legs into good working order.  I have chronically messed up tissues in my inner thigh, and no regular RMT goes there.  But my dual-trained Thai and Western RMT gets right in there with her feet, while slowly moving my leg around, and oh!  It's just the best.  My squats and sprint speeds are improved for weeks after that.  She's got an amazing sense of why things actually hurt, too.  It's not uncommon for me to go and say something like, "My foot hurts, I think it's my calves messing it up" and then have her trace the problem to my lower back changing how I walk in just one minute.

Unfortunately, she's mega expensive, although she's worth every penny.  I just can't afford as many treatments as I'd like.

Level Four Mandalorian Assassin

| STR: 8 | DEX: 7.5 | STA: 12 | CON: 8 | WIS: 7.25 | CHA: 6.75 |

| First Challenge | Second Challenge | Third Challenge |

You can't look dignified when you're having fun

I find Thai massage with some western-style deep tissue work is the very best thing for getting my legs into good working order.  I have chronically messed up tissues in my inner thigh, and no regular RMT goes there.  But my dual-trained Thai and Western RMT gets right in there with her feet, while slowly moving my leg around, and oh!  It's just the best.  My squats and sprint speeds are improved for weeks after that.  She's got an amazing sense of why things actually hurt, too.  It's not uncommon for me to go and say something like, "My foot hurts, I think it's my calves messing it up" and then have her trace the problem to my lower back changing how I walk in just one minute.

Unfortunately, she's mega expensive, although she's worth every penny.  I just can't afford as many treatments as I'd like.

So very good for your recovery too, yes it is expensive. For me i went to train in massage , and we do some "sharing" with the other trainees. One day them, another, me and so on :) so gets to be free, but you have to keep some free time for you and for them..

Bruce Lee

I find that a nice cold shower right after getting back from the park, followed by a little more stretching, usually keeps me in pretty good shape.

You stretch even being cold ? How do you do that ?

Bruce Lee

You just have to pay more attention to your body and take it a bit slower that's all.

Pretty much this. Slow, pulling stretches.

Also, my cold showers aren't very long. I jump in, soap up, rinse off, and hop out. I'm only in there for like 2 or 3 minutes, so the cold is only skin deep after coming in from a hard workout.

It's more about getting the sweat and wood chips off me. (I workout in a park)

Level 1 Cyborg WandererSTR 2|DEX 2|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 4|CHA 2

Yell at me for not working hard enough on the Six Week Challenge!

Haha exactly the same way as you do when your muscles are warm :tongue:

You just have to pay more attention to your body and take it a bit slower that's all.

ok  :) very simple !

Bruce Lee

I find that massage is a luxury and not something that I want to spend money on. I stretch and deal with soreness.

Well not if you get friends to do it for you :)

Bruce Lee

Pretty much this. Slow, pulling stretches.

Also, my cold showers aren't very long. I jump in, soap up, rinse off, and hop out. I'm only in there for like 2 or 3 minutes, so the cold is only skin deep after coming in from a hard workout.

It's more about getting the sweat and wood chips off me. (I workout in a park)

ok !!! great ! thanks for the tip !

Bruce Lee

Guest Dirty Deads

Cold water therapy is great. I like to cycle 3/3 minutes in the steam room and cold shower. I'd kill for a cold dunk tank at my gym,

This article talks about the benefits of cold water.

Most people love a hot shower in the morning. Even those who don't live in cold climates. For many people, they just can't get started on their daily routine without that hot shower. As those of us who have lived through the aftermath of hurricanes in recent years can attest, one of the first things you miss about not having electricity is not having hot water. But maybe it's time to rethink the whole hot water theory. More and more evidence is coming out to support the historically-based anecdotal concept that starting the day with a cold shower is better for you.
Cold water helps to keep your blood pressure stabilized. One of the reasons that people have been known to survive for a long time while submerged in freezing water is because the body has a natural reaction known as the autonomic nervous system. This system controls such bodily functions as breathing and heart rate. Cold water works by triggering the autonomic nervous system, which raises blood pressure. The more you expose your body to cold water, the stronger the autonomic response gets. So by showering with cold water each day you may in fact be also stabilizing your circulatory system for the long run.

Cold water doesn't just trigger the autonomic nervous system, it also causes cytokines and similar substances in the body to be released. Cytokines and those other substances are essentially like hormones, and their triggered release is thought to improve the body's immune system. Several studies have found that patients who underwent cold water therapy actually experienced an increase in levels of white blood cells, which are used to stem off disease.

As if that weren't enough, consider also that cold water stimulates the body to release endorphins. Endorphins are those hormones that not only give you that "runner's high" after any kind of intense workout (including sex), but also are key in fighting off pain. In essence, endorphins are the body's own natural pain relievers and, unlike certain pharmaceutical companies, the body doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to use them.

Cold showers can also put you in a better mood, believe it or not. In addition to the stimulating qualities of the endorphins, the cold water also activates some of the nerves in your brain. The result is an exhilaration upon leaving the bathtub that you don't feel after a warm or hot shower. How often have you stepped out of the shower in the morning and felt sluggish as you get dressed and ready to roll? Next time try a cold shower and see if you don't feel more uplifted afterward.

There are some caveats, of course. Aren't there always? If you are particularly thin or in poor health, your ability to tolerate the cold water may not be advanced enough to experience the benefits. It's also a good idea to check with your doctor if you suffer from back pain, hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure or other circulatory problems. This is especially true if you suffer from hypertension and aren't being treated for it.

Now for the rules of cold water shower therapy. Yes, you knew there would be rules. Well, one rule actually, but it has several components to it. Don't just hop into a cold shower. The sudden shock of cold water, especially on a hot day, can actually serve to make your circulation worse. Instead, start out with a warm shower, but not hot. Stay in for a few minutes, just until you feel warm and your skin begins to prickle. Then get out of the shower and turn the hot water off so that only cold water is running. Step in so that just your get wet, then your other extremities and face. Finally step completely into the cold water and stand so that the water hits the top of your head and runs down your front and back. Your first time out in the cold should only last about ten seconds total, until you finally work your way up to a minute in the cold water.

And that's all it takes to jumpstart your day with a cold shower.

Time, rest, and food is best for recovery. I've never really found massage, stretching, light activity, or foam rolling to really do anything except for feeling a little better while doing it and shortly afterwards.

I've found a big snack followed by a long mid-afternoon nap to be the bees knees for recovery.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Cold water therapy is great. I like to cycle 3/3 minutes in the steam room and cold shower. I'd kill for a cold dunk tank at my gym,

This article talks about the benefits of cold water.

Most people love a hot shower in the morning. Even those who don't live in cold climates. For many people, they just can't get started on their daily routine without that hot shower. As those of us who have lived through the aftermath of hurricanes in recent years can attest, one of the first things you miss about not having electricity is not having hot water. But maybe it's time to rethink the whole hot water theory. More and more evidence is coming out to support the historically-based anecdotal concept that starting the day with a cold shower is better for you.

Cold water helps to keep your blood pressure stabilized. One of the reasons that people have been known to survive for a long time while submerged in freezing water is because the body has a natural reaction known as the autonomic nervous system. This system controls such bodily functions as breathing and heart rate. Cold water works by triggering the autonomic nervous system, which raises blood pressure. The more you expose your body to cold water, the stronger the autonomic response gets. So by showering with cold water each day you may in fact be also stabilizing your circulatory system for the long run.

Cold water doesn't just trigger the autonomic nervous system, it also causes cytokines and similar substances in the body to be released. Cytokines and those other substances are essentially like hormones, and their triggered release is thought to improve the body's immune system. Several studies have found that patients who underwent cold water therapy actually experienced an increase in levels of white blood cells, which are used to stem off disease.

As if that weren't enough, consider also that cold water stimulates the body to release endorphins. Endorphins are those hormones that not only give you that "runner's high" after any kind of intense workout (including sex), but also are key in fighting off pain. In essence, endorphins are the body's own natural pain relievers and, unlike certain pharmaceutical companies, the body doesn't charge you an arm and a leg to use them.

Cold showers can also put you in a better mood, believe it or not. In addition to the stimulating qualities of the endorphins, the cold water also activates some of the nerves in your brain. The result is an exhilaration upon leaving the bathtub that you don't feel after a warm or hot shower. How often have you stepped out of the shower in the morning and felt sluggish as you get dressed and ready to roll? Next time try a cold shower and see if you don't feel more uplifted afterward.

There are some caveats, of course. Aren't there always? If you are particularly thin or in poor health, your ability to tolerate the cold water may not be advanced enough to experience the benefits. It's also a good idea to check with your doctor if you suffer from back pain, hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure or other circulatory problems. This is especially true if you suffer from hypertension and aren't being treated for it.

Now for the rules of cold water shower therapy. Yes, you knew there would be rules. Well, one rule actually, but it has several components to it. Don't just hop into a cold shower. The sudden shock of cold water, especially on a hot day, can actually serve to make your circulation worse. Instead, start out with a warm shower, but not hot. Stay in for a few minutes, just until you feel warm and your skin begins to prickle. Then get out of the shower and turn the hot water off so that only cold water is running. Step in so that just your get wet, then your other extremities and face. Finally step completely into the cold water and stand so that the water hits the top of your head and runs down your front and back. Your first time out in the cold should only last about ten seconds total, until you finally work your way up to a minute in the cold water.

And that's all it takes to jumpstart your day with a cold shower.

ok i will try that and keep you posted !!! Thanks !

Bruce Lee

Time, rest, and food is best for recovery. I've never really found massage, stretching, light activity, or foam rolling to really do anything except for feeling a little better while doing it and shortly afterwards.

I've found a big snack followed by a long mid-afternoon nap to be the bees knees for recovery.

I am not a big fan of naps, but i will still try this moth and let you know !

Bruce Lee

Diving in here has been a good help.

Still quite new to NF, and I pulled up sore today, so it was good to get a quick bunch of info from you guys, cheers!

- Uruk-Hai Rebel -

LEVEL 4

STR [3] | DEX [1] | STA [2] | CON [7] | WIS [7] | CHA [5]

Please follow me on my current quest: A Funeral Mist

The story so far: Chapter 1: Son of Sodom Arise | Chapter 2: A Testament ov Fire, Descend to Hell | Chapter 3: Only a Dragon's Force to Get Through Hell

Chapter 4: Mayhem Within the Trinity

To infinity and beyond!

\RADACT'S INTERNETS/

Sharing and learning process, thank's !!

Bruce Lee

ok I am trying visualization and meditation for recovery too, i keep you posted :P

Bruce Lee

Apprently compression garments and music help to recover a lot too...by diminishing blood pressure and compressing just enought veins...

Bruce Lee

+1 to food, rest, and time.  In my experience light activity does help - but mostly in comparison to being totally stationary.  If you're walking around occasionally, that's probably enough - just don't strap yourself into an airline seat and fly across the Pacific 6 hours after climbing a rather tall mountain(trust me on this... BAD idea).

My experience is that stretching post-activity doesn't do much, but that regular mobility work is what really helps.  If you're tight going into an activity, things pull on other things in ways you don't want/expect, and you'll feel it later.  My experience is that this kind of work is best done pre-emptively - and not as a 1-time thing right before you start exercising, but as a regular(15 minutes several times a week) program.  For me the difference between running when I'm loose and running when I'm tight becomes noticeable over the span of several runs.

"Becoming a Supple Leopard" is a great book for this purpose - if your body is well-prepared in advance and you are moving well, you'll come out of the exercise feeling a lot better in most cases.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

+1 to food, rest, and time.  In my experience light activity does help - but mostly in comparison to being totally stationary.  If you're walking around occasionally, that's probably enough - just don't strap yourself into an airline seat and fly across the Pacific 6 hours after climbing a rather tall mountain(trust me on this... BAD idea).

My experience is that stretching post-activity doesn't do much, but that regular mobility work is what really helps.  If you're tight going into an activity, things pull on other things in ways you don't want/expect, and you'll feel it later.  My experience is that this kind of work is best done pre-emptively - and not as a 1-time thing right before you start exercising, but as a regular(15 minutes several times a week) program.  For me the difference between running when I'm loose and running when I'm tight becomes noticeable over the span of several runs.

"Becoming a Supple Leopard" is a great book for this purpose - if your body is well-prepared in advance and you are moving well, you'll come out of the exercise feeling a lot better in most cases.

What is this book about ?

Bruce Lee