Forums are back in action! ×

What book changed your life?

' Art of Racing in the Rain' Changed my mind on how I feel about dogs. I now have a dog, he is my hiking and running buddy, and yes his name is Enzo. I know I'm a nerd, but that's why I'm here!

That book made me sob like crazy, and then I passed it on to my non-reader boyfriend and he lost it at the end, too. 

Bryce Courteney's The Power of One, and Robert Parker's Early Autumn.

I read The Power of One in high school and remember it fondly, but I wonder how I'd approach it now that I'm almost 30...

Also, I recently read Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away and it was great.

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri is also outstanding.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

A book I read when I was 19 or so that still runs through my thoughts and influences my life would be Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. It is his account of surviving the holocaust. It gave me courage and techniques to get through life's challenges.

Another author that is changing the way I look at life is Osho. Zen philosopher that has very different and refreshing ideas of love, freedom and life. Osho's The Book of Secrets 112 Meditations to Discover the Mystery Within is an excellent resource for a meditation techniques.   

I am reading 4-Hour Work Week and realizing my ideas about work and retirement are totally out-of-date. So that is really eye-opening to what lifestyle options are out there.

Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein

Major reason i joined the military and tried out and made it through USAF TACP training.

I'm forcing other people to read it. Haha. Great novel, great movie, though they had nothing to do with each other. Dizzy's movie death was one of the saddest scenes I've seen in my life, and because of it I cannot bring myself to support female integration into the combat arms.

I'd say for me it's a current toss-up between Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and Joel Jamieson's Ultimate MMA Conditioning.

A book I read when I was 19 or so that still runs through my thoughts and influences my life would be Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. It is his account of surviving the holocaust. It gave me courage and techniques to get through life's challenges.

Another author that is changing the way I look at life is Osho. Zen philosopher that has very different and refreshing ideas of love, freedom and life. Osho's The Book of Secrets 112 Meditations to Discover the Mystery Within is an excellent resource for a meditation techniques.   

I am reading 4-Hour Work Week and realizing my ideas about work and retirement are totally out-of-date. So that is really eye-opening to what lifestyle options are out there.

I had to read Man's Search for Meaning in school and it was fantastic. I was absolutely fascinated by the psychology of the holocaust, and how people just moved responsibility up the ladder (i.e. "they told me to do it"). Crazy good stuff.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The Four Agreements and The Power Of Now. I read Miguel's book last year and from that point on, found it crucial to having a positive outlook for all facets of life. They helped me overcome the usual bouts of SAD I get around this time of year, as well as just treat my fellow nerd better. Dan Millman isn't too bad either.

Also see: Hajime No Ippo manga.

+1 on Man's Search for Meaning, though I wouldn't call it a 'life-changer' for me. I'd say in my younger years Dan Millman's Peaceful Warrior series really made some impacts on me. More recently, Ishmael was a good read via recommendation -- I like to consider myself a "big-picture" thinker, and that book really reinforced some of my "big-picture" ideas about humanity and our place in the world.

Currently reading What It Takes To Be #1 by Vince Lombardi, Jr -- fleshing out his father's quotes and ideals about all things leadership. :-)

• Like 1

Insert witty & pithy saying here.

Tollkien's The Two Towers of his Lord of the Rings series, actually.  at the time, I was very disconnected from my emotions.  (didn't know at the time that I actually have several emotional disorders.)  but I literally cried while reading that books.  other than my depression, I didn't cry or feel that strongly about anything.  it was a turning point for me in dealing with and understanding my emotions.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Tollkien's The Two Towers of his Lord of the Rings series, actually.  at the time, I was very disconnected from my emotions.  (didn't know at the time that I actually have several emotional disorders.)  but I literally cried while reading that books.  other than my depression, I didn't cry or feel that strongly about anything.  it was a turning point for me in dealing with and understanding my emotions.

I find myself getting teary during the movies. Especially moments in the Two Towers because it just looks so hopeless (even though I know it's not). I think those books/movies are incredible metaphors for life, and particularly emotional difficulty. How often do we hold onto things that we know are destructive because they're comforting, just like The One Ring. And how often are people consumed by their vices, like Smeagol. Smeagol, to me, is one giant metaphor for addiction. His love of the ring overpowered his sense of self.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

I find myself getting teary during the movies. Especially moments in the Two Towers because it just looks so hopeless (even though I know it's not). I think those books/movies are incredible metaphors for life, and particularly emotional difficulty. How often do we hold onto things that we know are destructive because they're comforting, just like The One Ring. And how often are people consumed by their vices, like Smeagol. Smeagol, to me, is one giant metaphor for addiction. His love of the ring overpowered his sense of self.

as a long-time fan of The Hunger Games, I teared up for this second one.

and that's really interesting about Smeagol and addiction.  I never looked at it in quite that light, but it's so true.  thanks!

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

I'm just happy that you got some really good emotional discovery out of the books. That's what books are for!

totally agree!!  :D

Non fiction: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis changed my views on my religion and I ended up writing my thesis about it and C.S. Lewis' conversion story. So definitely a huge influence for me. (I also went on to read Chesteron and other authors Lewis admired/got some ideas from). 

A tale for the time being - Ruth Ozeki just came along at the right time for me, made me think about... 'everything' really. Just a brilliant novel that really touched me. 

I know there are a lot more, but these are the most recent ones/most important ones.

level 10 wood elf assassin

Intro1st challenge | .... | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | Current @ warriors

For me, I think the Hobbit really was the start of my reading addiction. It opened my eyes to what could be imagined and inspired me to continue reading. This book, along with the Warrior series (yes, the cats) help my overcome my dyslexia without special treatment and pushed me to not only catch up to my peers in the area, but exceed them three fold in reading level within 2 years. I went from a child whose mother never believed would learn how to read to one of the most prolific readers in my family.  

• Like 2

Hobbit Assassin Recruit

Level 0

Str: 0     Dex: 0     Sta: 0     Con: 0     Wis: 0     Cha: 0

“Though she may be but little, she is fierce!†
― Helena, Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare

Challenge Page | Soon to be Bucket list page

Howard Shore is my homeboy

For me, I think the Hobbit really was the start of my reading addiction. It opened my eyes to what could be imagined and inspired me to continue reading. This book, along with the Warrior series (yes, the cats) help my overcome my dyslexia without special treatment and pushed me to not only catch up to my peers in the area, but exceed them three fold in reading level within 2 years. I went from a child whose mother never believed would learn how to read to one of the most prolific readers in my family.  

This makes me warm and fuzzy in all the places. My boyfriend is not a reader and he's got ADD, so finding a book for him was really hard. I mistakenly gave him The Road and that was brutal. But once I put The Hunger Games into his hands, he was so entranced. We even went on a desperate run to buy the third book on vacation once. Both of these stories are proof that you can do anything if you have the necessary ingredients.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

The Deathgate cycle by Weiss and Hickman. They got me thinking about runes. Which leads me to the next influential book; The Secret Lore of Runes by Nigel Pennick. From these I started on the path of my ancestral tribal faith, 21 years ago.

Woden uses ravens for messages, I use a Samsung S4.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

For me it was "Le fantôme de l'opéra".

It was the first book I read twice in a row. It has such great atmosphere. Don't let the stage adaptation fool you: this is a horror/detective novel. It's a lot creepier than you might think.

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

(Affiliate links used here )

These are 5 of the books that have made the biggest impact on my life.

Expanding your view on life

L'Etranger (The Stranger) - Albert Camus

This book made a big impression on me, giving perspective on feeling disconnected and different from other people and on managing perception.

Crime and Punishment - Fydor Dostoyevski

This is an excellent read on the psychology and guilt following a murder.

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Amazing book about the role of authority, fitting in to society, conformity and individuality.

Personal Finances

Your Money Or Your Life - Alvin Hall

This helped educate me so I could pay off my debts and move to the other side of the world.

The Richest Man In Babylon - George S Clason

Financial concepts made easy to understand through stories.

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

"The neverending story", written by Michael Ende. This was my first "long" book. I received it on my 10th birthday and it opened my life to a whole new world: a great books one. Since then, reading has been one of my cherished passions, and I've read thousands of books.

Not long after the neverending story I put my hands for the first time on Tolkien and Asimov's Foundation series, but I keep this one in my heart as my most beloved one.

Thomas Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow. Mad genius. Forces you to think about and discuss (if reading with people) things you really aren't supposed to discuss in polite company. Best line: "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers."

Or for something shorter but just as impactful, The Crying of Lot 49. Probably the best quest novel of the 20th century.

Victory is not a destination; it's a process.

Elfstones of Shannara by Terry Brooks really changed my life. I had been dabbling with writing but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized I enjoyed fantasy. The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King also had a large inpact on me when it came to how I viewed the world and my writing style as well.

• Like 1

What we are born with, we must make our own
Or it remains a mere appurtenance.
-Faust

The last couple of years have brought about several large changes in my life.  I had several years of slacking, and being a bit of a waste of space during and after college.  The Dresden Files reignited my passion for reading, and since then I have gone through many books, including re-reading The Hobbit and LOTR Trilogy.  Born to Run helped spark my passion for fitness again, and I went from struggling with 2-3 miles to completing a marathon.  Since then I have been reading as much as I can, both fantasy and educational. Thrive by Brendan Brazier helped me get my diet under control, and currently I adhere to a very health, mostly plant based diet.  

Crespo

Race: Half-Elf | Class: Ranger

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

^Great book!

Life changing... Hmm, for me, I guess I'd have to give some credit to "Stealer of Souls" by Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson.  It's not a profound piece of literature by any means, but it was the first fantasy book I ever read.

As far as books that actually created a mental or emotional shift for me, I'd have to say:

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson, which I read as a teenager.  It inspired me to do a lot, including tramping around via Greyhound bus and to start writing.

"High Fidelity" by Nick Hornby.  Learned a lot about emotional relationships.  Again, I read this as a young teenager.

"Fight Club" by Chuck Palahniuk.  I read this book at least once a year.  It keeps me focused and motivated.

"Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer.  Really gave me a push to get moving.

"War of Art" by Steven Pressfield.  This is a recent one for me, but I feel it has greatly affected my mental paradigm. 

• Like 2

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]