Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings programs! Been doing tons of research on fitness and diet and kind of chasing my tail - and then I found you guys! Like a lightning bolt. You all seem like such a kind, funny, and caring lot - and very inspiring. I am excited to get started.

A little backstory: I attended my first Weight Watchers meeting when I was 11 (and honestly, not that heavy when I look back at my journals, but my mom was super-skinny and had ideas, I guess). Pretty much from the onset of puberty I have struggled with my weight and struggled with serious bouts of depression, which I finally dealt with head-on after a walloping good round of post-partum depression. That doesn't mean it's gone, it just means the water is a little less murky, and I have more energy to make improvements (like eating better, and exercising more) which will hopefully snowball.

In my adult life, I have swung as high as 250 (after my pregnancy) and as low as 150 (15 years ago, during grad school, when I was waitressing double-shifts and on my feet all day). Right now I'm at 230, and looking to hit a reasonably healthy weight range of 160-170. I have been doing a pilates/cardio/barre series (Physique 57) approx. 3-4 times a week, and gradually adding in walks in my hilly neighborhood in the evenings. Ten years ago I managed to complete three marathons, and I enjoyed the challenge of working up to the long runs; I may try to get there again. 

Overall, I want to bolster my physical and mental health and unlock potential that has been hidden in the dark woods & extra poundage.

Nerd details: I love me some Star Trek (TOS, NG, DS9 and even Voyager and Enterprise, when appreciated ironically); Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, Marvel stuff, DC, Firefly, etc etc. I am addicted to knitting and have created R2D2 hats for my nephews, a Wonder Woman hoodie for a good friend and coworker who saved my bacon on many occasions, and a Rocky Horror handbag (with intarsia image of Frank N Furter). My big brother was deeply into D&D but kicked me out of his group after I kept creating ridiculous elven magick-users with fanciful names. So I get the general idea but look forward to being an ogre here, I think (big, tall, imposing) and seeing what lies ahead.

Thanks for creating such an awesome, welcoming forum!