Forums are back in action! ×

Who shoots and/or hunts?

Taurus makes really good revolvers.  I haven't heard real good stuff about their autos.  I heard several gun stores had to send several of the Taurus autos back for repair.  Their revolvers have always gotten good reviews.  My wife carries a Taurus .38 w/ here all the time.  It shoots really good, I've toyed w/ the idea of getting me one for a backup off duty.

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Took advantage of a beautiful sunday afternoon and pulled out my old russian warhorse.  

1946 Izhevsk M44 Carbine "Project Grade" from Aim Surplus.

Ammo was Surplus Bulgarian 182gr which in the carbines makes a really nice fireball and boom.  

• Like 2
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

It is the M&P22 which is a great pistol. My carry gun is the M&P 9c so no having to buy different holsters when cross training. :)

I tried the shield but my hands were way too big for it. I had a M&P 9 and it was decent, the Apex trigger cleaned up the pull alot. Wound up getting rid of it when I was consolidating but over all it was very reliable for me.

I tried the shield but my hands were way too big for it. I had a M&P 9 and it was decent, the Apex trigger cleaned up the pull alot. Wound up getting rid of it when I was consolidating but over all it was very reliable for me.

That's how I ended up with the 9c instead of the shield for my CCW. My ham hands make me not even care for 1911s much because they're too thin.  That being said I still run the medium backstrap on my M&P, the large felt too much like a just a bulge and in the wrong spot.

64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

That's how I ended up with the 9c instead of the shield for my CCW. My ham hands make me not even care for 1911s much because they're too thin. That being said I still run the medium backstrap on my M&P, the large felt too much like a just a bulge and in the wrong spot.

I like that most if the poly guns come with grip panels and back strap inserts now, makes life way easier for guys with big hands!
  • Like 1

Saw mention of the LC9. I absolutely love my LC9s Pro. I don't have that big of an issue with the size as it fits quite comfortably compared to other 9s such as Kel-Tec's PF-9, the XD9, M&P Shield (actually my second choice), or Beretta's Nano. The PF9 and XD I've had quite a bit of time with since my dad has both and I could never fully get behind how blocky the grip is. Makes it feel like it was made more for a life-sized GI Joe than someone with fleshy bits.

As for the LC9s, though. I couldn't dream of not having it striker-fired. I've had my Glock 23 for well over a decade and it was so familiar having it for CC. It has never jammed (even with speed shooting drills), it's light, comfortable (especially with the magazine finger extension) and is fairly accurate. Now that the reloading bench is set up with the new Dillon 550 (after a long drawn out bout of poor customer service from Hornady) I look forward to seeing how my own brass runs through it compared to the cheap Russian ammo that I found lying around the house. 

• Like 3

-BUSCH

Agh. I'm in the market for a new pistol right now. I'm really torn between the LC9s Pro and a Canik Stingray 55c (stainless steel clone of the CZ75 compact).

On the one hand, most of the use for the pistol will be at the range. On the other hand, I do want to be able to carry it. Comfortable to shoot and light and concealable aren't necessarily mutually exclusive...but finding something in the middle is going to be tough.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

SW: 251 | CW: 199 | GW: 175

Battle Log: Grifball's Freelancer Training

"I WILL EAT YOUR UNHAPPINESS." - Michael J. Caboose

My SR9 carries like a cell phone and is a treat to shoot. I can't suggest it enough for a swiss army pistol.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

SR9 or SR9c? 1.2" width is a big plus for a guy with meaty hands and short fingers. The price point is exactly the same as the LC9s Pro and Canik Stingray. Right around $320. Not making my decision any easier, man. ;)

I think I know where I can at least rent an SR9 though. SR9c might be more in line with what I'm looking for, but the extra size of the SR9 might help.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

I have a friend that carries an SR9c.  It's  a great little pistol.  Personally, I love my G26, but I can definitely see the pluses of a single-stack.  In fact, if the rumors of a Glock single-stack 9mm are ever true, I'll be picking one of those up in a New York minute. 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Maybe I just have stupid-short fingers. I never felt like I got a great grip on my CZ P-07 given the muzzle flip inherent with the polymer frame. A single stack polymer gun that I can get my hand around better or a metal frame double stack seems like a good solution, I'm thinking. The G26 grip feels way too short and thick for me, but I know it's well-loved by tons of folks.

• Like 1

5'11'' Male

Maybe I just have stupid-short fingers. I never felt like I got a great grip on my CZ P-07 given the muzzle flip inherent with the polymer frame. A single stack polymer gun that I can get my hand around better or a metal frame double stack seems like a good solution, I'm thinking. The G26 grip feels way too short and thick for me, but I know it's well-loved by tons of folks.

It's definitely what you would call an acquired taste.  So far almost every single person I've talked to that didn't like Glock was because of the grip angle. 

The Ruger is a great pistol too, as are ones from lots of other manufacturers.  My only tip is: shoot it before you buy it.

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I carry the SR9 full size. I'd rather have something a little big that is trickier to conceal than something too small to be accurate with.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I carry the SR9 full size. I'd rather have something a little big that is trickier to conceal than something too small to be accurate with.

I've made shots on body-size targets from 100+ yards with my G26.  Others have done the same from 200+.  Accuracy is a function of the shooter, not the gun.  

It's the Glock 43. The 34 is a large frame 9mm with a 5.31 inch barrel.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!  :D :D 

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I've made shots on body-size targets from 100+ yards with my G26. Others have done the same from 200+. Accuracy is a function of the shooter, not the gun.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! :D :D

Gr8 b8 m8... Not biting

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"