Forums are back in action! ×

tl;dr: Made some gains in my lifts. Learned a lot of cool gymnastics tricks. Got better at dancing at dancing and freelining.

Before school started this academic year, I got into strength training and fitness in general. However, coming into the semester, I knew that I would have little time or energy to go lifting more than once a week due to schoolwork and 13 hours of dance per week. I was right. However, I rediscovered my passion for dancing and found a new passion for tumbling and skating.

I increased my squat from 100 to 120 and my deadlift from 125 to 155. Not super significant for an entire semester’s worth of work, but they are gains nevertheless. Woot!

I took a ballet class and participated in two dance teams. I learned a lot about technique and improved mine in the ballet class. My new goal in dance (aside from getting better in general) is to learn how to dance en pointe. Between my two dance teams, I choreographed two group pieces, one solo, and participated in a total of seven pieces (on top of being a student???). My friends have noted significant improvement in my dancing from the past. Here’s a video of the solo that I performed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRuXwJEACY.

I obtained a pair of freelines. If you don’t know what they are, here’s a picture of my babies: https://scontent-a-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1374876_10151873348018972_330126923_n.jpg. I originally intended to use them to travel to and from class, but I discovered so many more fun things I can do with them. For the last three days, I’ve gone freelining for anywhere from 1-3 hours daily. Over these skate sessions, I improved my ability to navigate in these and even start on some cool tricks (although being able to ride these is pretty cool in itself).

My biggest accomplishments this semester were in gymnastics. I set the humble goal of learning how to do front and back walkovers, and I have achieved one of those goals. However, after taking a tumbling class for PE, I (re)learned a ton of skills. Among those are:

• Back walkover (original goal)
  • Back handspring (from standing, from round-off, three consecutively)
  • Front handspring
  • Aerial (cartwheel without hands; sometimes that I’ve never done before).

I was not expecting to learn these many skills, but all it took was a little push from a coach who knew that I was capable of doing these skills. After all, I was able to do all but the aerial when I did competitive gymnastics ten years ago.

Anyways, this was a pretty big self-congratulatory post celebrating my accomplishments over one semester. Thanks for reading! :)

• Like 1

so they're like a cross between roller blades and skateboards?? how do they attach to your feet??

they look terrifying!!!

I can't have the youtubes at work... but I wanna check it later!!!

sounds like you had an awesome semester!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

so they're like a cross between roller blades and skateboards?? how do they attach to your feet??

they look terrifying!!!

The main forces that keep a person on freelines are gravity and friction. Other than that, you just stand on them and go. Most people think that there would be straps to keep your feet on, but that would actually be more terrifying because that way, you can't just step off and bail.

is the top textured like a skateboard?

I saw some youtubes at home... looks fun! can you do all kinds of tricks like that?

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

that's amazing :) 

I wish I had more balance to try something like that!!!

Spoiler