Forums are back in action! ×

They call me…Barrel-Rider.

They don't, actually.  No-one calls me that.  But it's strange how often that answer comes about when you're asked to say something under pressure...

This seems like such a great, supportive place full of people and a fantastic mission statement!  I'd really like to be involved and find somewhere to help fitness become a passionate obsession, along with all the other timey-wimey ones I've got on the go already.

My goals at the moment are perhaps a little vague, I start a degree in Drama, Performance & Screenwriting in September '14 (slightly late to the game at 26 years of age!) and I want to raise my general level of fitness by a couple of levels before starting, to be able to keep up with the others when it comes to things like stage combat and just general energeticness (thankfully it's not an English degree, otherwise I'd have to admit that's not a word.) as well as having more control over the way I can move my body instead of being a bit lumbering.  

I'm a Hobbit with Elven aspirations.  I mean…the hair alone...

Currently working (which is to say, downloaded it and am right this second trying to pump myself up to go for the first damn run) with an app called Zombies 5k to get running up to speed, got a punchbag and a strength training starter guide from this here Nerd Fitness, and brilliant access here to diet information which aside from not moving around much has always been my downfall.

Do have to say it feels a bit strange to be typing this all out on the internet, weight and fitness for some reason is just a bit of an emotionally charged subject, it's felt like my destiny (alright, Britney Spears, calm it down) has been to be overweight and that it didn't matter what I did because nothing would change that.  Which is incredibly stupid! If Bilbo can leave his Hobbit-hole after 50 years of armchair cushion sculpting to walk all the way to the Lonely Mountain, then I can put on my trainers after 26 years and start with a half hour run.

Let's Boo Boo!

Make you a sword of me? - Coriolanus

Allons-y!

Thank you SilverRapier, and Super Destroyer :) it's really good to know that we've been in the same boat at one point or another! Really appreciate the support.  I just got back from my first run - the Nerd Fitness effect is pretty fast!!

Shaun of the Dead soundtrack would have been PERFECT…as it was, I ran for my life to the soulful sounds of Gangnam Style.

Allons-y!

The Zombies, RUN! App is awesome! Great way to get going!

And welcome to the Rebellion!

Thank you! It's such a good idea, I hope they branch out into all sorts of games like that, there'd be a massive market for it!

Your title plus the first two sentences almost knocked me off my chair. :highly_amused:  Well played. 

Your goals sound reasonable to me, and good luck! We're all willing to help if you need us. :)

You can do it!

Ha, thanks! Just got back from seeing the new Hobbit film for the second time and that was all I could think about… and thanks also for the kind words! :)

Allons-y!