Forums are back in action! ×

Perfectionism

Interesting quote. It was not made in reference to physical goals, but this applies to most everything in our lives.

"Perfectionism is a thief. It promises rewards, but it steals both joy and satisfaction. Why? Because perfection is an unattainable goal! If you are a perfectionist, you’ve set an impossible goal for yourself, and therefore you will constantly be faced with frustration and failure." Dr. Adrian Rogers

If you are interested in the rest of the story and the original reference, here is the link. http://www.lwf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

• Like 1

Interesting. We have a proverd in French that expresses this idea: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" or "Better is good's ennemy." We also say that perfection is not of this world, so there.

Then it becomes a matter of finding a balance between the desire for perfection and the "good enough" syndrome. "Better than before" seems pretty reasonable. :)

• Like 1

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

A quote I heard from my graduate adviser was "Never let the Perfect stand in the way of the Good."

Everything can always be better, but don't let that hang over the achievement itself.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

There's a quote in the Motivational Quotes thread that goes something along the lines of "Always strive for perfection. You will never attain it but by striving for perfection you will achieve excellence."

I paraphrase, apologies.

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

My family has always said, that since we can't walk on water we can't be perfect.

Doesn't mean though that we shouldn't strive for perfection and be the best person possible.

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

My family has always said, that since we can't walk on water we can't be perfect.

Doesn't mean though that we shouldn't strive for perfection and be the best person possible.

I think the problem comes if we set such a high standard for ourselves that is almost impossible to achieve and then don't get it we get discouraged and give up.  Being on the forum for a while, I've noticed something interesting. Some people come on all gung ho, they set these amazing goals (the kind that when I first started made me feel like I was a wimp) and some of them even make the goals. But then they drop out. They don't have time, or they just aren't motivated. It is the people who make little goals who just keep working at them who accomplish the most.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I think the problem comes if we set such a high standard for ourselves that is almost impossible to achieve and then don't get it we get discouraged and give up.  Being on the forum for a while, I've noticed something interesting. Some people come on all gung ho, they set these amazing goals (the kind that when I first started made me feel like I was a wimp) and some of them even make the goals. But then they drop out. They don't have time, or they just aren't motivated. It is the people who make little goals who just keep working at them who accomplish the most.

This definitly is something that completely depends on the person, some people need the crazy of the wall goals to have something to look forward to, while others need the small ones to see progress.

I do think though, people need to be better at reevaluating each other. Its easy to come on a site like nerdfitness, see what others are doing, see the instructions of the great team of people on this site, and follow it, not realizing, everybody is different and "perfection" for one is just not the same for another. You should strive to be a perfect you, not a perfect person, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Lvl 3 Half-Orc Warrior Assasin

Male, Age: 30

STR 4 - DEX 2 - STA 5- CON 2 - WIS 4  - CHA 3

Intro Post --- Current Challenge

"Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try" Jedi Master Yoda

"Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out"

Amen to that.

One of the hardest things for me to accept when I started my journey was to accept myself and my limitations, not look at other people and judge myself negatively. It doesn't matter that I consistently come last in every class workout. I still improved on last week, and the week before, and the week before that too.

I am the best fricking Me that I can be right now and, while I might not be perfect and will always strive to be better, I am still proud of where I stand today.

(Wow, that was a bit self-serving) ;)

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

This definitly is something that completely depends on the person, some people need the crazy of the wall goals to have something to look forward to, while others need the small ones to see progress.

I do think though, people need to be better at reevaluating each other. Its easy to come on a site like nerdfitness, see what others are doing, see the instructions of the great team of people on this site, and follow it, not realizing, everybody is different and "perfection" for one is just not the same for another. You should strive to be a perfect you, not a perfect person, if that makes sense.

I like that- not a perfect person a perfect you. And you are right some people need crazy goals. I guess it comes down to why are you making the goals- because that is what you "should" do or because it motivates you

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

There's a quote in the Motivational Quotes thread that goes something along the lines of "Always strive for perfection. You will never attain it but by striving for perfection you will achieve excellence."

I paraphrase, apologies.

I respectfully disagree with this quote.  I have found that there's a point of diminishing returns.  I have perfectionist tendencies, and they make me waste time on insignificant, miniscule details in order to get it just perfect.  If I could just not aim for perfection, but aim for excellence, I could get back all the stolen time and effort that I spent past the line of diminishing returns.  Then I could use that extra time and effort on other things that matter.

:)

• Like 1

Hostile intent is imminent. You prepare for battle.