Forums are back in action! ×

Anyone else garden? If so, what?

I live in cold, dim, rainy place, but I managed some carrots last year. I also grew some flowers, but I planted too late to really get them flowering. This year, carrots and flowers again: nigella, aquilegia, verbena, polemonium and gilia.

It seesm each year I pick some random thing to teach myself off the internet. Last year, gardening, this year, fitness :P

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

I live in cold, dim, rainy place, but I managed some carrots last year. I also grew some flowers, but I planted too late to really get them flowering. This year, carrots and flowers again: nigella, aquilegia, verbena, polemonium and gilia.

It seesm each year I pick some random thing to teach myself off the internet. Last year, gardening, this year, fitness :tongue:

Nice :-)  Keeps life from getting boring.  Any plans for next year?

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I have a large yard in the city.  I am planning on digging up a bed on the south side this spring.  We just lost a big ash tree on the boulevard to emerald ash borers.  That makes the south side of my yard sunny.  I am going to put in watermelon, raspberries, beans, and move the strawberries to the new bed.

I just bought more seeds yesterday. :D  I want to try growing cilantro this summer.  I can never use the whole bunch they sell in the market.  It is not that expensive, but I feel bad throwing half of it away.  I will put the cilantro and basil in pots.  Mostly I grow herbs, flowers and fruit.  I have a farm subscription that supplies almost all the vegetables we eat. 

Yes!  I hate buying herbs for that reason and want to grow a bunch this year so I don't need to buy fresh ones at all.  *envious of your garden space*

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Well after the surprise frost last week killed a few of my planting I replanted some basil, tomatoes, cilantro, and something I started from seed and then forgot what I planted so surprises in the future. I has already planted red onions, strawberries, and blueberries and the frost didn't seem to have hurt them at all. Not to mention I found a whole planter full of white strawberries I planted last year that are still alive and thriving. 

Tomorrow I am buying more good soil to plant some corn, peas, squashes, and flowers for my wife.

Deslok

Level 2 Human Adventurer

Stats: STR - 4 DEX - 3 STA - 3 CON - 3 WIS - 3 CHA - 2

Begin Date: 1/6/2014 - Target Date: 1/5/2015

Begin Weight: 302.5 lbs - Current Weight: 288.0 lbs - Target Weight: 200 lbs

Height: 5'8" - Age: 43

Daily Battle Log No longer updated

6  Week Challenges

4th challenge

I Floop the Pig!

Vegetables here, in containers (landlord wont allow a vegetable garden). Atm i have onions, spring onions, leeks, garlic, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, broad beans, strawberries, thyme, Italian parsley, lemongrass, mint, lavender, spearmint, peppermint, corn, peas, radishes, lettuce, rosemary, fennel, garlic chives, a raspberry bush and both catnip and cat grass to keep the resident felines happy. I try to grow heirloom varieties as much as possible.

HappyCat

Race: Khajit Herder Class: Adventurer

HappyCat's Battle Log

Current Challenge: HappyCat Takes It Up A Notch 

Past Challenges: 1 2   

Accountablilibuddies:  Walking to Mordor and Back Again

Where else to find me: My Fitness Pal  Fitbit Habitica

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

I try to grow a little bit but this year has been a bust so far. I lost my Dad just about the time I would start gearing up to get ready. We've had a ridiculous winter and I had a bad respiratory bug that really knocked me down. My strawberries are doing great. I have zombie kale that I thought was killed off by record breaking low temps but it has since sprouted back out. Hoping to get out there this weekend and at least get the garden spot cleaned up for the summer crops since I missed spring altogether. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

I try to grow a little bit but this year has been a bust so far. I lost my Dad just about the time I would start gearing up to get ready. We've had a ridiculous winter and I had a bad respiratory bug that really knocked me down. My strawberries are doing great. I have zombie kale that I thought was killed off by record breaking low temps but it has since sprouted back out. Hoping to get out there this weekend and at least get the garden spot cleaned up for the summer crops since I missed spring altogether. 

Pretty much everything died over the Summer (Southern Hemisphere here), it was stupidly hot, we're only just now starting to get Autumn temps, but still no rain. I abandoned watering (and pretty much everything else bar breathing) in January - my little grandson passed away, and Ive only recently started to care about anything again. I lost a lot of plants, some Ive revived or replanted from seed, but Im still working on replacing a lot of stuff that was just too far gone.

Last week I planted some brassicas - cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage, but have yet to see any come up. Started a ginger root sprouting so fingers crossed that will take off. Then I have need to replace a few more herbs - some mints, oregano, chamomile, cilantro, pyrethrum, stevia and sage; my Bay tree, my passionfruit vine, my chard, the grape vine and apple tree seedlings that I started from seeds.... sigh.... so much lost, but all replaceable.

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

My life is basically a whole pile of 'It seemed like a good idea at the time' thrown together

Pretty much everything died over the Summer (Southern Hemisphere here), it was stupidly hot, we're only just now starting to get Autumn temps, but still no rain. I abandoned watering (and pretty much everything else bar breathing) in January - my little grandson passed away, and Ive only recently started to care about anything again. I lost a lot of plants, some Ive revived or replanted from seed, but Im still working on replacing a lot of stuff that was just too far gone.

Last week I planted some brassicas - cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage, but have yet to see any come up. Started a ginger root sprouting so fingers crossed that will take off. Then I have need to replace a few more herbs - some mints, oregano, chamomile, cilantro, pyrethrum, stevia and sage; my Bay tree, my passionfruit vine, my chard, the grape vine and apple tree seedlings that I started from seeds.... sigh.... so much lost, but all replaceable.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Seems like a lot of us have lost loved ones in the past few months.

Usually if we get a summer drought going, I can break it by ceasing to water. Just about the time everything dies, it starts to rain again.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Sorry for your loss too. *hug*

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log

I'm so sorry for your loss.

We built raised beds last year for our garden. I am still figuring out exactly what to plant this year. I love kohlrabi and I think I could get out there and plant some now, despite the fact that most people around here wait another couple of weeks before really getting going each year. Other than that, I'll likely plant tomatoes (which I always have problems with), bell peppers, beans (I saved a bunch of red swan bean seeds from the beans I grew last year), and cucumbers. Also, I have two rhubarb plants that I planted last year and will finally get to harvest a bit this year.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I mostly grow vireyas and a few other exotics like my flamingo plants, little palm tree, cherry blossom tree, madagasgar jasmine, ferns, pansies, cyclamen,  orchids, a few lucky bamboo and a native karaka.

Also grow things like spinach, lettuces, capsicum, mint and mustard seed which my family and hens eat :D

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!â€
Hunter S. Thompson

Current ChallengePrevious Challenge, Daily Battle Log

Level 1 Hobbit Scout

STR 5|DEX 1|STA 5|CON 2|WIS 1|CHA 1

I got into gardening this winter.  I started indoors, and have a shelving unit set up with two 4' lamps, and grew cilantro, parsley, garlic chive, cucumber, chard, kale, and basil.  I've moved it all outdoors now, and have the building materials for two 4' by 12' raised bed gardens.  I'll eventually bump it up to 6, but I was surprised by the cost of the wood.  I bought cedar as was recommended for being rot resistant.  I'm off work a little early today, so hopefully I can get those built.  

The next problem is that my yard is slanting, so I have to work on leveling the beds once complete.  Gardening is great, and I'm glad to have picked it up as a hobby.  My goal is to being able to grow as much of my food as possible.  

• Like 2

Crespo

Race: Half-Elf | Class: Ranger

[Level: 0 | STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Its a good goal to have, look into square foot planting - helps get maximum yield for minimal use of space.

• Like 3

HappyCat

HappyCat's Battle Log