Forums are back in action! ×

Getting stronger for circus

Hey everyone,

I'm a freelancer with a toddler, and I started taking circus aerials classes as a way to get back in shape after my daughter was born. I do mostly silks and static trapeze, but as I get stronger I'd like to do more rope. And maybe flying trapeze on a good day.

At the beginning of the year I was pretty depressed due to back to back miscarriages, and ate/drank most of my feelings. I gained 10 lbs in two months. After looking at photos from a family trip I knew I needed to focus if I wanted to get back on track, so I signed up for the may recitals at circus school. I've got to hold myself in the air and flip around for 5 minutes straight! I started cooking more, and lifting weights. Since the end of January I've lost more than 10 lbs, and my body fat has gone from 34% to 28%*.

Now that I'm starting to develop real strength I'm excited and love lifting weights. Getting strong has made aerials so much easier (still working on that stamina though) and I've started appreciating my body for what it can do, not just how it looks. 

I joined NerdFitness because it seems like a more welcoming community than most other strength training forums (do you even lift?). Hi!

Here's a gif of me doing a dive:

AirplaneDiveSmall.gif

* I use a body fat scale which isn't super accurate, and I think it may estimate high, but the change over time is real

• Like 3

Main Quest: Run 8 miles

Longest run so far: 6.22 @ 11:27

77%
77%

6 Week Challenge (Level 2) Kellbot's Going the Distance

Previous Challenge (Level 1) Aerial silks training and questing for 10 pull ups

Do you even lift? How lifting weights taught me to love my body

That is so completely awesome!  That's got to be the best way I have ever heard to get fit.  I bet it's a blast being up there doing that.

Yes, this is a very accepting and fantastic community.  There is quite a significant group of lifters (warrior) who will be welcome to share programs, do form checks, or even have good laugh with.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

"For me life is continuously being hungry.  The meaning of life is not simply to exist, to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer."  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Thanks! I've been doing it for about two years now, though for a while it was my only physical activity (nothing outside of class). It's only in the last few months that I've shifted from "I do aerials for exercise" to "I exercise to get better at aerials."

It's super fun and I encourage anyone who is curious to try it. Most major metro areas in the US have a place to try it out these days. 

My main strategy for staying on top of my training is peer pressure. I invite friends over weekly for a run / bodyweight circuit / etc. That way even though I want to sleep in, I get up because people are coming over at 9am to run!

77%
77%

Welcome to Nerd Fitness. As you've read above me, there are a lot of great people here who are happy to help with form checks and recommendations on lifts and such. While I am not one of those great people with lifting experience, I do have a knack for encouragement and on rare occasion, inspiration. I perform with a more traditional circus, but I love the accrobatics. Your silk work looks great.

Look around, make new friends and have fun.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

And apparently for understatement too.

I don't know what you're talking about.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Yay, another circus nerd! Welcome to NF! Will you be joining the next challenge? *cough cough assassin guild cough* 

I plan to! i'm still reading all the FAQs/etc to figure out how it all works, kinda glad I have some time before the next one starts!

I appreciate that NF members seem to have a lot of different goals. Most everywhere else it's either lose weight or get jacked. I'm mostly interested in muscular endurance, and am not super concerned with changing how my body *looks* (though I expect it will probably shift around as I change what it can do). I also think that life isn't worth living if I can't participate in grandma's weekly pizza-and-cake get together, so I plan my eating to allow for that. 

77%
77%