Forums are back in action! ×

lvl 0 Adventurer/Monk

I am just getting started here on NF and have been looking for a group of like minded individuals who enjoy fitness and our nerdness.

I recently began Shotokan Karate (UKAI) in October and am 8th kyu (orange belt with stripe). I have had the opportunity to take in a few tournaments and injuries thus far. I truly enjoy it and the dojo I'm training with. We are heading into our summer routine which means only once a month sessions (KAHN!!!!). So I needed to find other ways to train. I'm currently located in Southwest MN near where Iowa and South Dakota meet.

I am a nerd of Dr. Who, DnD 3.5, Munchkin and other board games, and to the delight of my husband a baby Trekki. I also am a music enthusiast and fond of theatrical arts, and traditional medium art too.

My overall fitness goals are to loose about 150 lbs., gain strength, speed and endurance and an adaptable diet for a highly mobile lifestyle.

On the short term, I want to be able to look at myself in a mirror and be proud of who I am. I know no better group to work with than my fellow nerds.

Stats to be rolled shortly, I pray the dice will be kind.

• Like 1

Lvl 0 Dwarvish Monk

- Str 0 - Dex 0 - Sta 0 - Con 0 - Wis 0 - Cha 0 -

No Challenge in Process

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!† â€”The Doctor

Pay Credit Card Below Maximum Level

40%
40%

Hey! Welcome on board!

150lbs to lose...? Whoa! You must have a fairly high level of fitness to be able to take part in those tournaments despite being overweight. I'm so glad that you've found a form of exercise that you love, that's half the battle. Just think how awesome you're going to be at it once you shed some of your weight. :encouragement:

Everyone on here is so supportive and full of encouragement, I'm sure you'll find it a great place. Hope to see you around, and I'm looking forward to reading your success story in the woot room one day.

All the best girl! ;)

Edit: I just realised that my "Whoa!" looks like a judgement on how much you have to lose, and it's not that at all. I promise!

I was so impressed at you for taking part in such a physical sport when you have so much weight to lose. I know how hard it is to do any exercise at all when you're overweight, I'm sitting at around 60lbs lost so far and it was Hell on Earth trying to exercise when I was that unfit.

You get extra "Awesome Points" in my book for what you're doing. :encouragement:

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Hey there!  Another Who nerd AND monk here!

I started martials arts in junior high because I needed to lose a massive amount of weight and it was perfect - both for weight loss AND building confidence!

Now I'm in my 30's and trying to get healthy again after a decade or so of bad jobs and crappy living.

You can do it!  We can cheer one another on! :D

PlainSimpleGarak - PSG - Level 0 Gnome Monk

Str: 0 | Dex: 0 | Sta: 0 | Con: 0 | Wis: 0 | Cha: 0

"Why do we fly?  Because we dreamt of it so long that we must." ~Julian Beck

Thanks for the encouragement. Our Sensei is a big fan of getting us into tournaments and they are quite fun. As for the injury aspect, I'm sure my weight was partial to it, but I had an upper belt try to swipe my leg out from under me and he hit too high and slid my knee out.

As for my weight and ability you could say I have a decent intelligence and dexterity but not necessarily stamina and strength. I can last a full 2 minute sparring round but I will work to finish the round quickly if I can read my opponents tendencies. The biggest thing my weight holds me back on is my distance while I've got a good 4-5 ft reach most people in our dojo have about 8 with the black belts about 12-15.

Lvl 0 Dwarvish Monk

No Challenge in Process

40%
40%

I have a question and don't quite know where to put it.

When should I start a challenge and where do I put it? As level 0 I know I'm lurking but I want to get started and am working on some aspects of my life that I would prefer to chart.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Lvl 0 Dwarvish Monk

No Challenge in Process

40%
40%

I have a question and don't quite know where to put it.

When should I start a challenge and where do I put it? As level 0 I know I'm lurking but I want to get started and am working on some aspects of my life that I would prefer to chart.

Thanks!

New Rebels Hey Mahina, start here, currently the newbie challenge is over half done, but I'm following along knowing that I will do a full 6 week one when it starts in June. Check out people's threads and get an idea of what your goals are.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)