Forums are back in action! ×

Job Question - Opinions

I'll keep this pretty generic to protect the innocent (also not to get bogged down in specifics):

Lately I haven't been very challenged at my job, and kind of mentally checked out; not horribly so, I still get my stuff done but my motivation to go that extra mile etc. has been lacking.  I'm at the top of my pay band, and there's no way to move up until my boss retires, that being said, I'm not really sure I'm interested in his job if it did open up.

Recently, a co-worker has announced that he's leaving which leaves his position open.  I'm pretty sure I could do/I'm qualified for his position, but when management posted the opening it looks like they've tweaked it and added some more heft to it.  I'm sure I could still manage to work it out but the move would be a challenging one.  It' s a higher pay band, so they money would be better and give me some room to grow financially (as well as mentally).

To throw a wrench in the works, we are currently going through a job re-classification (company-wide) that might provide me some more room for development but it won't be finished for a few months so this opportunity comes down to a "Devil you know/Devil you don't know) scenerio.  Same company, different department, new manager coming onboard soon vs. one I get along with well 

It would suck to get there and find out the job is boring/sucks vs. no room to go where I currently am.  I know money isn't the be-all but when you have a mortgage and a couple kids it certainly makes things easier.

Thanks for the sounding board all.  Sooo...any opinions?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

It sounds to me like you are ready to step up a bit. I would apply for the coworker's spot if I were you. To me, this looks like:

Current job: not challenged, dialing it in a bit, no opportunity for advancement

Coworker's job: new challenges, higher salary, upward movement in company

Plus just changing departments within the same company is a good thing, from my experience. Getting the chance to see things from a new perspective makes you a more well rounded employee and gives you a leg up when it comes to management potential because you can show that you have that dual perspective.

• Like 1

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

The more heft to the position, the new manager coming on.  Do you think it's linked?  The new manager has said they want more to that particular position?

Actually the two are unrelated: 1 death (manager), and 1 person moving on to a new field (new opportunity/more cash as well).  A new manager won't be hired until the fall at least

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

But once you move up into that, you would be developing the skills to move up again, right? This presupposes that the manager who is hired moves on eventually.

MFP

Hey KillerG,

I'm thinking, more like spit-balling, that if you talked to the guy leaving and see what insight he may have for you, especially around anatomy and workload, you would have some knowledge of what to expect.

Also, getting in that position ahead of the new manager may prove beneficial in that you could 'help' organize the job description, get an idea of your responsibilities from the higher ups or an actual manual, and learn as much as possible before the new manager arrives. Give you a bit of a head start to getting the new stuff under your belt. Plus, the money can alleviate some stress that would make room for you to deal with a new, unknown boss. Trade stressors, not add.

The other route seems more like re-focusing on what work means to you. Are you focused on being better than you were last year? Do you push yourself to be more efficient or more detailed. If you treat your work as a challenge, to be reevaluated as often as possible, you can start to make changes in your routines (at work, and before and after it). Maybe your workouts would be more enjoyable after work, because you need to release some of that boredom. Maybe exercise before so you feel jazzed and can turn your boredom into a game that keeps you occupied and happy with your own performance at work. Recommitting to the same job can be tricky, but it is doable.

My advice: get as much info on the new position, apply for it, really talk with the interviewer about the look of the job and how it might be written up. Then decide if a new challenge at work is good right now. Also, look at other companies and see what your options are elsewhere. Maybe this is the best place for you, maybe not. But definitely put yourself out there. That would look good no matter which decision you make.

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Does your company have a roll back option? I've worked a couple of places that would allow you to move back to your old position within 90 days, assuming it wasn't already filled, if the new one did work out or something.

I personally would go for the new job after talking with the current guy and getting a good feel for what they would want you to be doing, assuming you still think it would be a good fit. Most people spend more time at work M-F than anywhere else so if you aren't happy there most of your day is spent not being happy. I like some challenge at work but if it's too much you could be just as bored as well.

• Like 2

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

my wife was recently in the same position, she made the move. It has been wonderful! Definitely the right choice for her and her goals.

I would just caution, the grass is not always greener...

• Like 1

I've talked with the current person and gotten the skinny on what the job is like and where he thinks the department wants the job to go in the future.  I think at this point I'm going to apply and see where things go from there.  My only concern is affecting the good place I'm in my my supervisor right now, this will take some diplomacy ;)

• Like 2

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

Good luck with your application!

If you have a good supervisor, s/he will be disappointed to see you (possibly) go but happy for your own personal career growth. I've had super employees who I have recommended apply for jobs in other departments because I've thought the move would be good for their careers. There are plenty of managers who take it personally when their staff want to move on but I've always been of the opinion that most people are going to move on at some point so managers need to accept that and find a good way to deal with it. If a person is going to move on but still be with the company, it seems like a perfect situation.

MFP