Forums are back in action! ×

The Downsides of Fitness

Getting into fitness and powerlifting has challenged my body image and patience in quite a few ways. I keep asking, when am I gonna squat twice my bodyweight, when are my arms going to stop being toothpicks, when can I achieve my dream physique? As Dom Mazzetti says, "The day you started lifting is the day you became forever small, because you will never be as big as you wanna be," and that totally resonates with me. I know I'll achieve these goals eventually, but it'll take time. And once I achieve these goals, I will find new ones to chase after, never satisfied with where I am. I've already smashed a bunch of my goals, such as squatting 1.5 times my body weight for reps and deadlifting twice my body weight, but I want more. But I like being in this position of never being completely satisfied with what I have because it pushes me to keep working hard.

• Like 4

A body at rest, will remain at rest

A body in motion, will enjoy a beer afterwards [or pie, if you're so inclined]

I'll compromise and go for Guinness chocolate pie.

Sweat and restroom. Yes. Thought there was something wrong with me on that. Apparently it's normal.

Now, I was stereotyped into a dumb jock/ beefhead once or twice. They just think that because I have a chest that can shoot buttons, I lack intelligence.

I mean, "education is important, but biceps is importanter". (somewhere in this web) Amiright, Amigo?

• Like 2

A major downside for me is being a little bit of an outsider because I'm trying to be fitter, skipping afterwork drinks to go the gym and cake for some ones birthday. And at home it causes a little friction with the wife and two of the kids when I'm bowing out of junk food night and getting up early to go running or lift. Initially we tried to do things together, a few bouts of 'lets be a healthier family', but then no planning, no goals and nothing came of it.

As Steve said in an article a while back I can't remember the name off, when you commit to make changes you can't drag the people in your life along with you on that journey, you just have to wait for them to close the gap themselves and catch up to you.

• Like 4

aint no one mirrin' your brain at the beach.

With enough muscle, you can hold them down while you explain stuff to em...

• Like 6

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

"Please look at my abs while I explain the conceptual difference of Psychoevolutionary Theory and Attention Restoration Theory."

I'll try to flex and talk at the same time while not sounding like Kermit. :P

• Like 5

Nobody's mentioned injury yet... I mean, everyone on here at some point has to deal with injury as a result of fitness/exercise/sport. Ain't no fat dudes getting injured getting off the couch to go get more donuts..... ;)

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Well as far as injury goes, I had several but only one from fitness. Everything else is work related. The one time I got injured was with dumbell tricep extensions, my shoulder popped and pinched one of my sinews. Then I kept training cause the pain went away with the warm up and I managed to inflame it.

Also I had trouble with my knee for a week, nothing to bad just felt a painfull pinch sometimes while not pushing my knees out during squat. last thursday I hit a new PR at 130kg, something popped and now I'm injury free again :D

• Like 1

For me, it was an injury that got me into fitness in the first place - my back muscles went at work while I was attempting the highly difficult task of sitting down. I was at home on strong painkillers for a week or so after that, and walking to the shop was an expedition. After I got over that, I never wanted to feel so feeble again.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Nobody's mentioned injury yet... I mean, everyone on here at some point has to deal with injury as a result of fitness/exercise/sport. Ain't no fat dudes getting injured getting off the couch to go get more donuts..... ;)

... Unless they're tripping over an ottoman, or smashing a toe into the coffee table, or something like that

Or if they are big enough, coughing too hard and breaking a rib. A girl on one of my past jobs did that was out for awhile.

Like others have said: pants. Now that I know how to squat and am flexible, I squat down all the time when I need to get near the floor. When I squat down in dress pants at work, I tear the ass out in the middle of my work day. I've done this 3 times in the past 6 months.

Trying to replace those slacks sucks, because if they fit my thighs/ass, they're 2-4 inches too big in the waist and I have to belt them down. When I do that, they get all scrunched up. Sometime the button is bulged out from underneath the belt. Gotta eventually find a good tailor to customize some stock cloths. Waiting until I finally hit a weight that I think I'll maintain at.

Eating is expensive when you're eating 6 eggs for breakfast, a lb of chicken a day at lunch, and a few scoops of protein powder in the evening.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Good Lord, man.  You're making me wonder if I'm eating enough now! 

I'm on a deficit...

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Today I smacked my knee against one dumbbell while kneeling and then as I failed around on the ground in pain I hit my head on the other dumbbell. On the plus side, at least I'll know where the eventual bruises came from.

• Like 3

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Really out landish claims from others about how much they do or did workout or lift. I've heard some apparent whoppers. And it almost always end with I'm too old for that now or I hurt myself..

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Deffinatly the amount I have spent on clothes!! Luckily am now maintaining seriously can't get any smaller!! I have recently had a clear out I had clothes in the back of my wardrobe that when I got heavier was trying to ignore the fact they were too tight they are now massively too big!! Since last year have dropped from a UK size 12 to a UK size 6 and spent a fortune on clothes!! I think that is the only downside for me I look better feel healthier and have never been so fit in my life!! My other half is not keen on my biceps!! But I love them and have worked hard to get them I reckon he is just jealous!! :P

• Like 2
  • Time management...
  • Thinking about the next workout and food regularly.
  • Wanting to workout on rest days because you love working out.
  • Having exchanged all the witty "You know that song is actually about..."-stories with "Did you know that broccoli has more protein than coliflour?"-stories.
  • Wanting to get everybody to use free-weight and at the same time wanting to have the free-weights section to one self :D
  • Gf thinks I'll leave her if I start to look better... (I'm only superficial if it comes to my own body...)
  • And she has started asking questions before dinner that sound like this: "So, is it okay if we have pasta?" and I do a quick sum up in my head and go "Yeah, I already reached my protein goal." ~urgh

And this is all even before reaching any of my goals or changing significantly ;D

(I'll not enjoy the pants not fitting part...I can tell you that much)

• Like 2

Heh, having your prosthetics needing regular repair because despite there being no stated max, you keep lifting more to see if you can actually find it. Upside, your tech knows your arm on sight, and his next question is, how much. 

Pants, so many issues with the quads area....

Shirts, being me, one sleeve fits ok, the other is tight as hell..

• Like 3