Forums are back in action! ×

Starting a website

So if I were looking for a free web host to put up a site, who should I go with?

I need a picture of either Tux or the FreeBSD devil loading an Atlas stone, too, if anyone is good with the photoshop and bored.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Go for a VPS at the very least. Shared hosting is nothing but a pain. As for specific providers, it depends on your requirements for price and uptime.

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.â€

NearlyFreeSpeech is almost a VPS service and almost free. Check it out. If you're set on it being free, there are ways to put up a (flat) website on Github. Anapnea.net is a shell account provider that offers webspace so long as you don't need databases; check out Flatpress for a flat-file equivalent to Wordpress (n.b. it isn't actively maintained as far as I know, so I'm not sure about the security).

“The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.â€

I'm not putting up anything fancy, just a repository of plans and projects for strength equipment.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

The idea of putting myself amongst the denizens of tumblr just gave me a rash. Sorry... can't do it.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I know you said you aren't putting up anything fancy, so my suggestion may be way too much, but it's cheap. I'm making this suggestion based on a big assumption with your Tux or FreeBSD Devil request. That is, you are a *nix user of some kind. I could be completely wrong with this assumption, and if I am you can ignore my suggestion. If you are willing to do some admin style work of your own, I would recommend digitalocean.com . You can deploy an Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, or CentOS server within minutes for $5/mo that you have full access to install and use how you please. Again, this is overkill for what you want and involves setting up a LAMP stack on your own, but it can be used for so much more than any free (and most paid) web hosts will do. Thought I would throw it out there as an option. I used shared hosting for way too many years and switched over to this for a lower price and will never look back.

EDIT: Doh! Forgot to mention, this also would require your own domain name or some other way to point to your server. Otherwise all you would have is a static IP address to use.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I am a Linux user, but for practical reasons unrelated to actually knowing what I'm doing. All those things you just said made about as much sense to me as Crossfit.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

If you're really just looking to share projects/plans you could create a free Github account and follow the easy instructions for creating public repositories and pushing up (uploading) your project docs. This will be trivial easy on a Linux machine and involves learning a few git commands.

For more of a tutorial solution I'd look at Instrucables which should be free. For a blog, a free Wordpress account should also be pretty easy to get up to speed on. This would also be a good place to share your repository links if you go that route and want to make them more accessible. Users will be able to download a zip version of your repos instead of using the more esoteric git commands. And this might be a more organized way to manage your projects rather than relying on Wordpress uploads because I honestly have no idea how well those would work on the free side. 

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

I am a Linux user, but for practical reasons unrelated to actually knowing what I'm doing. All those things you just said made about as much sense to me as Crossfit.

HAHA! Well I knew I would be making a huge assumption there :) As for Crossfit...it's run, jump, "lift", puke, repeat. How does that NOT make sense? :playful:

*runs and hides from the crossfitters*

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*