Forums are back in action! ×

New to Nerd Fitness! Also a compulsive eater.

Hi everyone! I am quite new here! Although I signed up over a year ago I think, I never actually made it on to the forums, or even used any of the advice for that matter. But it doesn't matter, because its always better to start late rather than never.

My name is Melissa, I am in my mid-twenties, attending university for archaeology. Before this I was a video editor for almost two years, but that ended about a year ago when the company lost a ton of funding. I love reading fantasy and adventure novels, and obviously I spend a lot of my time studying at the moment.

The reason I joined (or rather the reason I re-joined) is because when I was working a regular job from monday to friday, I was going to the gym in the evenings and running on the weekends, but when I lost my job I went through a depressing time when I couldn't figure out what to do with my life. So with all the stress I and money pressure I had to quit the gym, and instead I turned to eating. Eating has been the biggest set-back for me, I feel like I have no control over it when I get in front of something greasy and salty. I moved back home to go to school, and my mother and her boyfriend do not understand how the way they eat and the food that they keep in the house affects me. This is by no means an excuse, I need to learn how to control myself, but I do wish they would at least try and help. Food is my biggest struggle at the moment. 

But aside from that I really enjoy running, and I have set a goal for myself to run a half marathon in October. I can't wait to get more prepared for that! I have no trouble exercising when I get in to it, which I have already started. My struggle is with food.

Anyways it's great to be here! If you have fitbit and would like to add me, please feel free! I need some friends both here and there for support :) //www.fitbit.com/user/35DPM5

Cheers!

Melissa 

• Like 1

Melissa

Level 0 Lycan Scout

Daily battle log | FitBit |

Welcome! I hope you find the help and support you need here. Have you tried keeping a healthy snack on you/in your purse/nearby so when you start to reach for the bad food it'll be easier to say "no, i have this other, better food right here"?

Thanks I will definitely try that! I can't afford to actually buy all my own food at the moment, but I can definitely afford to keep some healthy snacks around :)

Melissa

Level 0 Lycan Scout

Hi and welcome! I, too, struggle with the food.

So I'm focusing on the exercise. Which is something I used to think of as punishment, but now realise is awesome when you find something you enjoy!

I'm intuitive eating and lifting, about to add some enjoyable cardio like walking, swimming and ice skating. Whatever way you find to do your thing, I hope you stick around on here! Crowd out the silly foods with Moar Awesomeness :D

• Like 1

Half-Orc / Level 4 / Assassin

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 4 CON - 13.5 WIS - 3 CHA - 6

Twitter: @hybrid756

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Challenge wrap up! April 12 - May 24 2015!
Challenge 1

Bf% - from 50% to 20%

21%
21%

Hey Melissa! Welcome! As someone who has dealt/is dealing with compulsive eating, I can tell you that this is a great place to support good habits. 

Keep us updated on your 1/2 marathon  progress!! I'm training for a similar run in September. Added you on FitBit :)

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Hi and welcome! I, too, struggle with the food.

So I'm focusing on the exercise. Which is something I used to think of as punishment, but now realise is awesome when you find something you enjoy!

I'm intuitive eating and lifting, about to add some enjoyable cardio like walking, swimming and ice skating. Whatever way you find to do your thing, I hope you stick around on here! Crowd out the silly foods with Moar Awesomeness :D

Thank you! I will definitely be sticking around!

Melissa

Level 0 Lycan Scout

Hey Melissa! Welcome! As someone who has dealt/is dealing with compulsive eating, I can tell you that this is a great place to support good habits. 

Keep us updated on your 1/2 marathon  progress!! I'm training for a similar run in September. Added you on FitBit :)

Thanks! It's great to have support in any way! I added you back :)

Melissa

Level 0 Lycan Scout

Welcome!

Gah, that's why i can't keep junk food in the house! However, I find when my husband brings it home I have to limit myself (if I'm going to give in, might as well limit it, right). that means chips have to go into a bowl. no bringing the bag with me! I also started eating dark chocolate. I don't like it as much, but when you're desperate for treats - it'll do. Also, becuase i don't like it - I eat less! Handy that is. 

I'm training for a 5k - I'm not much of a runner, so that's lots for me! Good luck with your 1/2 marathon!

Level 2 Wood Elf Scout

(Current) Challenge #2