Forums are back in action! ×

Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings

I am working a job this summer that will entail a lot of driving. I got a subscription to Audible where I get one credit each month and was going to listen to books on my commute(since there's not a nerd fitness podcast, and I'm tired of morning talk radio).

So my question is do I start with Lord of the Rings series, or Game of Thrones. I've never read either, and I haven't seen either of the two movies/TV shows.

Suggestions please.

KB4RN3S the level 2 Wood elf, Ranger 
STR 2|DEX 1|CON 3|STA 2|WIS 2|CHA 0
Current challenge

"Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one."

~Bobby Knight~

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

That's kind of what I was thinking. How can I call myself a nerd and have not read/seen Lord of the Rings. Thanks.

• Like 1

Current challenge

~Bobby Knight~

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

Also LOTR.  Having read LOTR multiple times and suffered through the first 2 GoT books, I'd say start with LOTR for sure.  Hobbit can be a good place to start, but you can also definitely start with Fellowship and that book will be a much longer audio version than Hobbit will.

"Fairy tales are more than true not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten"  -Neil Gaiman

Mandalorian Assassin: Level 5

Current Challenge - Artemis becomes Mandalorian

Overall Weight Loss Journey: Starting Weight -     Current Weight -    Goal -160lbs

Also LOTR.  Having read LOTR multiple times and suffered through the first 2 GoT books, I'd say start with LOTR for sure.  Hobbit can be a good place to start, but you can also definitely start with Fellowship and that book will be a much longer audio version than Hobbit will.

^This

LOTR voter for me, too.

Also practically, at least LOTR is finished.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I agree about LOTR, and I suggest you actually start with the hobbit.

Yeah, start with the Hobbit and do LOTR. It's almost a prerequisite to nerdom. GoT is the flavor of the decade, LOTR of the century. I mean, the series is basically what created modern elvish/dwarvish fantasy everything, including D&D.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yeah, start with the Hobbit and do LOTR. It's almost a prerequisite to nerdom. GoT is the flavor of the decade, LOTR of the century. I mean, the series is basically what created modern elvish/dwarvish fantasy everything, including D&D.

I agree.

Thanks to everyone who helped me. The overall vote is heavily favoring LOTR. I did get LOTR: Fellowship. I will begin it on Monday on my morning commute. Thanks for all the input. And here's to my next quest to Level Up my nerdhood.

• Like 1

Current challenge

~Bobby Knight~

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

In terms of how they fit into the fantasy genre hierarchy, LOTR is the Beatles and GOT is Limp Bizkit.

• Like 4

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

They both suck! Go listen to The Wheel of Time instead, that's also really brilliantly narrated. 

Seriously though, GoT is just the flavor of the month, it's not that great, makes you want to throw the books out of the window a lot because a character dies again. Plus the writer is horrible with writing output. LOTR was written a century ago and can be quite a bore for people who have grown up in this century. I did read and loved it back when I was a kid, but I would never recommend it to someone who isn't a complete reading nerd. The sheer amount of names to remember, gah. 

WOT is the LOTR of our generation. It's quite brilliant, far more imaginative, more character development, and while there are definitely some boring parts it doesn't even compare to the first LOTR book.

Hopefully Sanderson is writing the epic for the next generation atm.

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

I am halfway through Fellowship.  And yes, it does get a little, uh shall I say, dull at times.  And yes, there are a lot of things to keep track of.  But, I do like it. I like it A LOT!  The hobbit came on TV this weekend, and I recorded it, and have been watching it off and on this week.  The funny thing is that there is a part in Fellowship that they mention "their ancestors turning the trolls into stone".  And I knew what they were talking about.  LOL.

So, anyway, thank you for all the advice.  I love Fellowship.  Not sure if I'm ready for Two Towers, but maybe.  I may go ahead and do GOT next.  Or I may start Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy, also.  Not sure where this nerd life will take me next.

Current challenge

~Bobby Knight~

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

WOT is the LOTR of our generation.

I think that's a bit over stated. I'm finishing up the last book now, and while good, I don't think it's the LOTR of our generation. It's pretty solid, but the rediculous divide between the sexes is really iritating. I see what Jordan was trying to do with it, and I think it was clever, but he really took it 2-3 steps too far. It really ruined a few of the characters for me.

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I am halfway through Fellowship.  And yes, it does get a little, uh shall I say, dull at times.  And yes, there are a lot of things to keep track of.  But, I do like it. I like it A LOT!  The hobbit came on TV this weekend, and I recorded it, and have been watching it off and on this week.  The funny thing is that there is a part in Fellowship that they mention "their ancestors turning the trolls into stone".  And I knew what they were talking about.  LOL.

So, anyway, thank you for all the advice.  I love Fellowship.  Not sure if I'm ready for Two Towers, but maybe.  I may go ahead and do GOT next.  Or I may start Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy, also.  Not sure where this nerd life will take me next.

IMO, Two Towers is a lot better than Fellowship, particularly in terms of action.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Tolkien wrote the first part of Fellowship far ahead of the rest of LOTR, and it shows in the style. Once they get to Rivendell, the tone and especially the pace picks up quite a bit.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I think that's a bit over stated. I'm finishing up the last book now, and while good, I don't think it's the LOTR of our generation. It's pretty solid, but the rediculous divide between the sexes is really iritating. I see what Jordan was trying to do with it, and I think it was clever, but he really took it 2-3 steps too far. It really ruined a few of the characters for me.

Yea I get that, I didn't mind it too much but I can definitely see why it might ruin it.

But I don't think a work needs to be perfect to qualify as the lotr of our generation, lotr itself certainly wasn't. Wot is the best epic written in the last 20 years though?

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

Wot is the best epic written in the last 20 years though?

Maybe, but it's not the clear winner. The Dark Tower was fantastic, especially the first half, though maybe a slightly different genre vs straight fantasy. It suffers from a fall off in later books. Game of Thrones is up there, but is going to be over-scrutinized due to having the tv series.

The main thing I think something needs to be an "LOTR of a generation" is doing something new. For Tolkein, no one had done this high fantasy with elves and dwarves and such. Once he did, other writers took it and gave it their own twists for decades and decades. I don't think WoT does that, it doesn't present such a different new view point or way of doing things that other writers will run with it for a long time, almost making it's own genre. GoT probably falls short as well, but I think it comes closer in various area with the low magic, heavy political intrigue, and no one being safe from being killed off. The Dark Tower might come the closest of these three with its different view of the universe, how worlds interact and bleed into one another, with characters traveling between different but interweaved realities. I'm sure there are others that I just haven't found yet that may be even better, but those might be lacking the chance to be the LOTR of our generation for that very reason, not having been a popular hit. There may be popular ones I haven't read yet either, I've fallen behind on my reading in recent years.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I agree with Gainsdalf. I don't think there will be another LOTR of our generation because we are still talking about LOTR.  The genre would have to practically die out and someone would have to come along and revive it to truly have that title IMO.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The something new is a good measurement for it, for sure. I had always thought that WoT was the first to really play around with actual magic and rules for how it works. Unlike LOTR which doesnt have any pre-defined rules for magic, just magical stuff showing up every now and then. Much like GoT. WoT inspired people like Brandon Sanderson to play around with magical systems and it's rules.. I really enjoy that type of stuff, so i'm probably very biased in seeing this as a whole new 'type' of books. 

If I were to be really bold i'd say that WoT could have even inspired Harry Potter, what with it having a magic system with defined rules, but I doubt Rowling read WoT x) And heck, i'm not even sure there weren't other who played around with the magic systems first.

Ok, so I just finished LOTR: Fellowship.

My Audible subscription doesn't give me another credit until July 28th.  Ugh.  

And in all seriousness, I am not sure I am ready to ingest another heavy read like Game of Thrones or Two Towers, just yet.

I am actually thinking about watching Two Towers and Return of the King Movies to complete the saga.

Not sure what I want to read next.  I am hoping to find something a little lighter for the time being.  But I am happy to say that I am NOW  a LOTR reader!

It was a fantastic book, and I can't believe I never read it, or watched the movies before now.  I did find myself getting "drunk" on the language of Tolkien.  I also found myself "zoning" sometimes because it was so heavy.  But overall, I really did love the book.  

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Like 1

Current challenge

~Bobby Knight~

~Arthur C. Clarke~ 

Both times I read LOTR, I struggled through Fellowship. It picks up slightly after Rivendell, but it's still incredibly slow. The Two Towers is a much quicker and more immersive read, and Return of the King was rapid and engrossing.

Still, I much prefer The Silmarillion to LOTR (hence my username lol). I like it because of the mythology more than the narration. It would be insufferable as an audiobook, though.

Related: Yraen, I'm ashamed I had to look up what Engwar means. lol

I definitely second the Kingkiller Chronicles!!!! Beautiful read, with really complex human characters, that you fall in love with, and amazing plot line.

Also, check out some more of Sanderson's work, I can't remember the series titles, but the first one is Mistborn, and there's three of them. His writing really explores new and creative ways to take magic, and I found his ideas really refreshing and original, coupled with beautiful story telling and amazing amazing characters. I have to say that they are my favourite books of all time.

Next, is the slightly more comedic (ish) route. Try out the Discworld series (though I don't know how well Audio books go with the footnotes that I love in the physical copies) or anything by Douglas Adams or Tom Holt or Neil Gaiman. Pratchett and Gaiman collaborated on a really good book called Good Omens, which is about how the world should have ended.

I would also recommend the Sherlock books. I know that every has heard of them and probably watched something, but its really intriguing to read about Holmes, even if Sir Doyle hated writing them.

Now, I think I've said the word amazing a couple too many times, so I'm going to bow out now. :P

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest