Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Does anyone else look around and wonder (as you are doing some activity)....is this the last time I'll be able to/get to do this?

I found I had to back off on the heavy weight-lifting because it took me too long to recovery (especially after deadlift-day).  Instead of three heavy days a week I do two and one lighter day (lighter weights but more reps and some accessory lifts).  

I completed my first half marathon Saturday. I tried to run last night (just 2 miles) and my legs are so fatigued it went poorly. We don't recover as quickly LOL

• Like 2

Hey. I've got a blog!! ----> The Dilnad Can!

This is how I did it. This is how you too can do it! ----> http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2015/09/28/learn-how-an-office-worker-lost-100-lbs-saved-his-own-life-and-became-a-superhero/

Does anyone else look around and wonder (as you are doing some activity)....is this the last time I'll be able to/get to do this?

Nope. I plan to live forever. So far, so good. :playful:

There are, however, plenty of things that I'd like to do for the last time: laundry, lawnmowing, dishwashing...

• Like 4

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

Not yet...

But with my last pregnancy, knowing it would be definitely my last one, I did have a slightly weird feeling of a specific phase ending. There was no more thought such as "I might have another baby later" since I knew this one would be the last, and it felt … weird somehow.

Other things I consider now out of question too. Scuba diving days are over (eye pressure problems), for example.

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Also, I'm more concerned with whether I can do things I've never done, than with doing something for the last time.

There are some things I've no interest in, like skydiving.  IMHO there are exactly two valid reasons to jump out of a perfectly good airplane: 1) because it's absolutely VITAL that you be on the ground in a place the plane can't get to or 2) the plane is going to crash, and best if you're not in it when it does (although that may push the definition of "perfectly good airplane").  

Other things I WOULD like to do, and wonder if I'll get the chance.  I'd like to visit Ireland for instance.

• Like 1

Nope. I plan to live forever. So far, so good. :playful:

There are, however, plenty of things that I'd like to do for the last time: laundry, lawnmowing, dishwashing...

LOL

In one way truth, but when I was 40, I was starting to feel that doing all those ordinary chores was painful, doing dishes too long hurt my back, if I twisted weird doing laundry I hurt something. So part of me is happy I can do all those things and feel younger and more energetic doing them then I did 5 years ago

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

LOL

In one way truth, but when I was 40, I was starting to feel that doing all those ordinary chores was painful, doing dishes too long hurt my back, if I twisted weird doing laundry I hurt something. So part of me is happy I can do all those things and feel younger and more energetic doing them then I did 5 years ago

^^ Good point. 

In general, many things have become more difficult or strenuous, but a load of other things somehow became way easier, and I enjoy them more than at the time when I was younger. So in the end I think being chronologically blessed is indeed a blessing - at least with the right attitude it is.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Recovering from gum graft surgery, day three.  not fun.  

Ot2rzKR.gif

my lips are so swollen.  my whole face actually.  I look like a photoshopped version of myself.  or the weird filter on the phone/camera app that makes you look like an animal?  today my lips are bluish/bruised from the swelling.  so pretty.  

I'll be wearing the Minecraft cardboard Steve head when I answer the door to trick or treaters tonight.  My boys put the costume together for me.  i have the minecraft periodic table tshirt, the head, a pick axe and have been instructed to wear jeans "although the head alone is probably enough for the kids to understand your costume, mom."  sigh.  at least I have some awesome pain meds.  and pudding - smooth, soothing, chocolatey goodness (with protein powder of course).  ahhh, aging.  so fun.

mom2sjm
Rock Gnome Rebel

Level 28

current challenge

Could someone please talk to me about body fat percentages and age, as this is really bugging me?

I am feeling really despondent as, according to caliper measurements and using a calculator called idass.com, my body fat percentage comes out at 28.9%.  Despondent because I feel fitter than I ever have in my life, I know I am stronger, I can see more muscle when I look in the mirror!  I am a size 10 (sometimes an 8) (US equivalent size would be size 6 or size 4), my weight stays steady at about 55 - 56 kgs, my BMI is 20, I think I look pretty lean.

And then - get this - just for a laugh, I reentered all my data in the idass calculator but put my age at 25, rather than 50.  And based on otherwise the same data, it told me my body fat percentage is 22%!!!

I am just completely bewildered by this. 

• Like 1

Could someone please talk to me about body fat percentages and age, as this is really bugging me?

I am feeling really despondent as, according to caliper measurements and using a calculator called idass.com, my body fat percentage comes out at 28.9%.  Despondent because I feel fitter than I ever have in my life, I know I am stronger, I can see more muscle when I look in the mirror!  I am a size 10 (sometimes an 8) (US equivalent size would be size 6 or size 4), my weight stays steady at about 55 - 56 kgs, my BMI is 20, I think I look pretty lean.

And then - get this - just for a laugh, I reentered all my data in the idass calculator but put my age at 25, rather than 50.  And based on otherwise the same data, it told me my body fat percentage is 22%!!!

I am just completely bewildered by this. 

Really, they are just numbers.  How you feel is far more important.  No idea why changing your age input would change the percentage though.  Regardless, caliper readings are only going to be so accurate.  What you really want to look for with caliper readings is a trend in the right direction with measuring the same each time.  If you are really concerned about it you could get a bodpod type analysis or something more reliable than caliper.  Honestly though, how you feel is probably all you need to know.  Don't let the numbers deflate you.

• Like 2

Rangering since Sept 2015

Hm, all the nice and easy and fairly affordable methods are bound to be not very precise. 

I would also go by feeling - and take measures. Tape measurements as in  assessing circumference, that is. With calipers, if I do them on one day and then (same weight) two days later, I get different readings and percentages. May there be fluctuation, but that much?

If you've added circumference that is NOT soft, you've gained muscle. :D That's my favourite method of assessing.

I agree with the above: forget numbers. They just mess with your mind.

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Yes, I think that's good advice, Silverwitch.  I should stick with the tape measuring.  

I probably could lose weight pretty easily - I seem to have quite a fast metabolism - but I feel very comfortable at this weight.  When I ran loads but didn't work out, I was generally about 1.5 - 2 kg lighter but I looked much more haggard.  At 50 I think I'd rather have the little bit of extra weight but look somewhat better in the face - it seems an acceptable trade-off!

I can't work out how to post a photo other than via Tapatalk but I have a pic of me in workout clothes and I really don't think I look "skinny fat".

• Like 1

You had me looking up the German translation to "haggard" - I learn a lot of new vocabulary from you! Love it! :D

And no, by no means you should do something that makes you look haggard. My favourite aunt always said, at 50 you have to make a choice between body and face… I'd go with face. Weight is also only numbers, key is whether you feel good or not, and whether you like the way you look or not. Anything else is just mind mess-up.

Anyway, I still find it weird … this female addiction with weight loss and numbers on a scale. I try to free myself from it, too. Which does not mean I give up on being in what I consider good shape. But it means that my day ins not determined by these numbers.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

This post was a while ago, but I still see the capacity for improvement in most of what I do, so I'm not ready to think like that yet.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Grunt!

But I mean that in a good way

How are you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

How's everyone/anyone doing????

I blew out the last challenge so badly I'm sitting this one out. Sinus infection so I couldn't lift without feeling like my head would expose. No resume. No train layout plan. Both because I slept when I could.

But I did a light dumb bell work out in the gym this morning without too much discomfort, and plan to do Stronglifts A on Wednesday, deloaded because its been a couple weeks.

Also my wife got on the elliptical this morning. She says she needs to do cardio.

And we celebrated our 16th anniversary last weekend.

So all things considered doing great.

• Like 2

Complete sets vs challenge limits

Do you guys prefer to do complete (for example) three sets of 15 lifts at "x" weight or increase the weight until the 15 reps is difficult or impossible?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

Complete sets vs challenge limits

Do you guys prefer to do complete (for example) three sets of 15 lifts at "x" weight or increase the weight until the 15 reps is difficult or impossible?

Yes.  :-)

My rule of thumb is that if I can do more than ten reps, the weight is too light.  If I can't do five, it's too heavy.  I've been doing a 5x5 program, so if I don't get five sets of five reps (with rest between) I don't increase the weight, if I can I increase the weight and repeat until I can't.

• Like 1

I have a question.  I am 60 and took my first Deload week (5 days).  I won't be doing that again.  I am so stiff that everything is hard.  Leg press.  Can't get deep enough on my squat, etc.  I can really feel how much I've stiffened up.  Is it just me?  I did stretch and walk those days.  I can't imagine I'll be doing that again if that's the price.  I've been lifting about a year so I'd appreciate any thoughts from you more experienced folks.  Thanks!

I have a question.  I am 60 and took my first Deload week (5 days).  I won't be doing that again.  I am so stiff that everything is hard.  Leg press.  Can't get deep enough on my squat, etc.  I can really feel how much I've stiffened up.  Is it just me?  I did stretch and walk those days.  I can't imagine I'll be doing that again if that's the price.  I've been lifting about a year so I'd appreciate any thoughts from you more experienced folks.  Thanks!

I've had to take time off a couple times due to illness or injury, and yes it HURTS when you get back.  Now if for some reason I need time off from heavy lifting I do a program of lighter lifting (lighter weights but more reps) if at all possible.  Instead of barbell back-squats I do lighter goblet squats,dumb bell presses, etc.  Just to remind the muscles what they're about.

• Like 1