Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

1 hour ago, wildross said:

Father stuff. It really feels good to hear your children passing on your advice to their children, or their siblings kids. We were with 4 of our kids the last 2 weeks and I heard my voice or their mothers voice from all 4 of them in addressing the next generation. In the case of my son I told him it was funny to hear him give his son my advice. He said.it.felt odd too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is cool. My son isn't married yet, so no grandkids. But, I have heard him when he around younger people teaching, and he says some of the same things I told him, made my heart happy.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

2 hours ago, peelout said:

Are you an oldie newbie or a newbie oldie?  Whatever that means, welcome to NF and the oldies site.  Haven't seen your name before.

Thanks for the welcome! Technically I'm under age, so I usually just lurk lol. But I like this thread because I like to hear about well, life, from the perspective of where I will be sooner than later. If that makes sense? Kinda like a letter from my future self to remind me where I'm going..

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

Are you an oldie newbie or a newbie oldie?  Whatever that means, welcome to NF and the oldies site.  Haven't seen your name before.

Father stuff. It really feels good to hear your children passing on your advice to their children, or their siblings kids. We were with 4 of our kids the last 2 weeks and I heard my voice or their mothers voice from all 4 of them in addressing the next generation. In the case of my son I told him it was funny to hear him give his son my advice. He said.it.felt odd too.

Mothers day

8746f89ad5192b4b68a582c5b99633e4.jpg

26f57f4d08e96768843de24364ef68d2.jpg

bb2df5462bfe16615b40cda421b651e9.jpg

wildross on the tablet

• Like 5

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

On 5/7/2016 at 1:36 PM, peelout said:

Has anyone here read Level Up Your Life.  If so, what did you think.  If you thought it was positive, what improvements or actual changes have you made in your life as a result of it.

Also, strangely enough, my credit score went up now that I took out a loan to buy a car.  It's normally pretty high anyway, around 790 on one of the scales w >800 being the best category you can be in.  Now that I took out a loan, this month (my bank sends me my score every month) my score jumped to around 806.  That seems a little crazy.

I read it and rally enjoyed it. I like Steve's writing style. It is enjoyable to read, and  I find the way he relates goals to games and stories very motivational. If you enjoy reading his blogs, you will enjoy the book.  It isn't that he has groundbreaking new ideas on how to make goals, and stick to them, it is that his idea of gamifying makes goal setting so much more fun and less like a chore, and therefore easier for me to accomplish. His word pictures do a good job of  reminding me of what is important. Ie, instead of just saying, don't research so much that you forget to do the action, he tells a funny story from Southpark about collecting underpants. And now when I am researching,  I think is this helping me on my goal, or am I just collecting more underpants?:D

It is hard to say what actual changes. I've been reading his blogs, and already implementing some of the changes. I don't know if there was a ton of new information in the book. But reading it altogether, along with the stories of other NF nerd stories, really helped me to focus my goals and be more motivated. He does have you do some concrete exercises in the book, making your Epic Quest, and Writing out your Level 50. I think that has helped solidify my vision for what direction I want my life to be going in.Actual changes I have made: making it more of a habit to read during down time, prioritizing  things that are more important to me such as geocaching, walking, helping others,. scheduling my day so I can get adulting stuff done and have time for things that  feed my joy, 

• Like 2

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 5/9/2016 at 2:23 AM, originalpiratematerial said:

Hello all. I'm here with a nice positive oldie story. Yesterday I completed my first (and quite possibly last and only) half marathon, and I'm just three weeks short of my 51st birthday.

Kudos, well done

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

This is a good article about how an older guy got in shape using the GMB stuff

https://gmb.io/charlie-ff/

And a cool short podcast about a 72 guy and how he got in shape

http://rdellatraining.com/strength-training-and-well-being-as-we-age-with-jim-hatcher

• Like 1

I'm at my desk at work at 6:30am collecting underwear (have to read Steve's book to understand that).  I have a fantastic job that pays well, gives me a lot of flexibility in my work hours, and great management and coworkers.  And I am very thankful for my job as I know there are many people who would be thrilled to have this job.  But I've been at it for 17yrs and I'm quite bored with it.  Although I'm in good financial shape for someone of my years, I'm not going to quit this job or even consider looking for something else.  So does anyone know of any good articles or how to get more interested in your job or have any suggestions?  Maybe hypnosis?  I would just like to enjoy the job.

Image result for office space could I be hypnotized pictures

Image result for office space could I be hypnotized pictures

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I'm having trouble getting myself motivated.

Up until last December I was doing well with the gym, getting there three times a week, barbell training.  I think I went twice in January and haven't been back since.  Got a nasty cold, and it was cold out and lousy weather (which makes 4:30 am seem even earlier), and work got busy so getting in late on gym days wasn't an option.  

I keep finding excuses not to go.  I KNOW I'll feel better if I go, I'm feeling old and achy and worn out now, and when I was working out I felt younger and all around better.  I know I just keep to get my butt in gear and just GO.

Not really looking for solutions, so much as putting it out there.

11 minutes ago, Mark D said:

Up until last December I was doing well with the gym, getting there three times a week, barbell training.  I think I went twice in January and haven't been back since.  Got a nasty cold, and it was cold out and lousy weather (which makes 4:30 am seem even earlier), and work got busy so getting in late on gym days wasn't an option.  

I keep finding excuses not to go.  I KNOW I'll feel better if I go, I'm feeling old and achy and worn out now, and when I was working out I felt younger and all around better.  I know I just keep to get my butt in gear and just GO.

Yeah, I put a lot of shit out there as well.

I don't have much cause this seems to be common to everyone, getting back.  Unfortunately, the magic date of Jan 1 is already gone.  You already know what will happen if you start going (feel better, glad you did, etc).  So that only leaves deciding that come hell or high water you will go and force yourself through the 2-3 wks it takes to get back in the mental groove of feeling good to exercise again.  The only advice I can offer is to plan on going tomorrow and take an action today to get ready.  Get the gym back out, make sure the gym clothes are fresh, and decide on a time tomorrow that you will go.  Place the bag on your car seat, gym shoes by the door.  At least you will have taken an action today to make it as easy as possible to drag yourself out the door tomorrow.  Anyway, thats what I do for a lot of things that I can't seem to motivate myself to do.  Do something easy today in preparation for tomorrow so that is as easy as possible to start tomorrow.

Now if you can solve my employment malady, we will both have something to try.

Current Challenge 

Can't do much for your employment, I've been at my current job for 16 years, and a total of over 30 years of doing what I do (computer programmer).  I've had good and bad jobs, good and bad managers, good and bad assignments.  The one thing they all had in common is that I had to be paid to do them, I wouldn't have worked for free.  

That's what hobbies are for.

I tend to have a different, and unpopular, outlook toward employment.  People say to pursue your passion, or find something you love doing and make a job of it.  I've always said find something you're GOOD at, because people will pay you a whole lot more for what you're good at than what you enjoy, which puts you in a financial situation where you can spend time doing what you enjoy.

Case in point:  I have a nephew who loves music and wants to be a musician.  I've known a LOT of musicians,artists, playwrights  and actors.  Most worked as bartenders or waiters, most had to put in so many hours making enough money to keep the lights on and a roof over their heads that they didn't have time or energy to pursue what they enjoyed.  My advice to my nephew was to find something he could do to make a living, because if he could work 40 hours a week he'd have a lot more time to play music than if he had to work 60-70 hours a week just to pay the bills.  IF he makes it with music he can always quit his day job, but it's good to have a plan B because MOST musicians don't manage to make a living of it.  I think he understood it, and I know his parents did.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Mark D said:

I think Steve has an article about "just showing up" don't plan to workout but put your sweats on (or whatever you workout in). You are not going to work out but drive over to the gym. You are not going to lift a thing but walk into the building. You are not going to do a whole routine but stretch and warm up.

Lucky for me my wife is disabled /*sarcasm*/  and she needs to be in the pool just to move around every day, so I find myself at the gym every day, motivating from there isn't so tough.

• Like 1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aneralled the level 6 Hound Archon, Warrior-Druid 

STR 11|DEX 4|CON 8.5|STA 10.5|WIS 4.5|CHA 4.5

I am a Nerd Fitness Rebel,       I don’t compare myself to others,        I know I impact those around me 
  and today is the first day            only to myself from yesterday.            with my actions, and so I must 
  of the rest of my life.                I shall not brag about successes           move forward, every day. 
I shall make no excuses               nor complain about my struggles,    I acknowledge fear, doubt, and
  and hold no grudges.                 but share my experiences and           despair, but I do not let them
I care not where I came from,       help my fellow Rebels.                        defeat me. I pledge my life and
  only where I am going.                                                                              honor for the Rebellion, for 
                                                                                                                         this day and all the days to come. 

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Can you pick out a reward for yourself, a new shirt or something, that you earn after 6 workouts?

Or just have this weeks goal be to get all prepped for the gym, next week make yourself go for 15 minutes , and keep ramping it up. Or work out at home. Part of the reason I work out at home is that for me that requires less will power than actually getting to a gym.

1 hour ago, Mark D said:

A lot of this rings true for me, too. I KNOW how much better I'll feel if I do some exercise, but I still have to fight my Inner Brat to do it sometimes. I also know that I have become very de-conditioned over the past few years and then I hate it that I have to start at  the "baby" level of everything.

I got tired of feeling "old and achy and worn out" so I bought and read, "Deskbound: Standing up To a Sitting World," by Kelly Starrett. I'm doing his prescriptions for mobility and flexibility and in just a few sessions, I'm feeling a lot fewer aches and pains. I'm planning to resume my KB practice at the 2 week point and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Well, I talked myself into getting back to the gym, I'm getting my stuff together tonight and I'll go tomorrow morning (Saturday is a good day because I can take the time to figure out where I am now, and how much I've lost while I was away from it).  

I'm going to start Greyskull LP, twice a week, Saturdays will be bench press and deadlifts, and (probably) Tuesdays will be OHP and squats.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Mark D said:

Well, I talked myself into getting back to the gym, I'm getting my stuff together tonight and I'll go tomorrow morning (Saturday is a good day because I can take the time to figure out where I am now, and how much I've lost while I was away from it).  

I'm going to start Greyskull LP, twice a week, Saturdays will be bench press and deadlifts, and (probably) Tuesdays will be OHP and squats.

Great to hear.

Current Challenge 

W00t!!  Glad to hear that people are edging back into workouts!!  I had to completely change it up in order to get motivated.  I'm training for OCRs and doing most runs and strength training outside of the gym.  I had just gotten ..... bored.  

Oh, and today is BIKE DAY!!!  After volunteering at the local YMCA garage sale, we're going to pick up my new bicycle.  Sometimes the way forward is the way back.  

• Like 5

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Saw this and liked it

Image result for pictures of old people exercising

24_lalanepushup_560x375.jpg

Fitness guru and pioneer Jack LaLanne, whose daytime television show, gym chain, and juicing infomercials preached the gospel of healthy living to millions upon millions of Americans, has died of pneumonia at 96. LaLanne had been a physical freak for decades, and would perform amazing stunts to prove it. In his forties, for example, he completed 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes and swam the choppy, mile-long Golden Gate Channel while towing a 2,500-pound boat. And he never stopped. Well into retirement age, when "exercise" for most people means getting from the bed to the Rascal, LaLanne stayed active. Like, embarrassing-for-everyone-else active. Even in his nineties, he continued to work out two hours a day. "On the day of interview LaLanne said he swam for 30 minutes and lifted weights for 90 minutes," Reuters reported in 2007.

• Like 4

Current Challenge 

10 hours ago, peelout said:

Saw this and liked it

Image result for pictures of old people exercising

24_lalanepushup_560x375.jpg

Fitness guru and pioneer Jack LaLanne, whose daytime television show, gym chain, and juicing infomercials preached the gospel of healthy living to millions upon millions of Americans, has died of pneumonia at 96. LaLanne had been a physical freak for decades, and would perform amazing stunts to prove it. In his forties, for example, he completed 1,033 push-ups in 23 minutes and swam the choppy, mile-long Golden Gate Channel while towing a 2,500-pound boat. And he never stopped. Well into retirement age, when "exercise" for most people means getting from the bed to the Rascal, LaLanne stayed active. Like, embarrassing-for-everyone-else active. Even in his nineties, he continued to work out two hours a day. "On the day of interview LaLanne said he swam for 30 minutes and lifted weights for 90 minutes," Reuters reported in 2007.

There was a podcast where they interview his wife and son about all the amazing things he did. Really interesting stuff http://superstrengthshow.com/elaine-lalanne-true-embodiment-of-physical-culture-at-90/#more-4303

• Like 1

I remember watching his show.  Amazing inspiration!!

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

Got to see child #2 last week for the first time in 4 years.

964f6666432695eb9f4edd072bf59e00.jpg

• Like 6

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

On 5/16/2016 at 9:55 PM, wildross said:

Got to see child #2 last week for the first time in 4 years.

964f6666432695eb9f4edd072bf59e00.jpg

Wow!!!  That's a long time apart.  Hope you'll be able to see her more frequently going forward!!

I thought this was an encouraging post about the positives of being older from Mark's Daily Apple.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/6-reasons-to-look-forward-to-growing-old/#more-60852

• Like 4