Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

Weight loss is tough, it took me ages to figure out what works for me. Unfortunately, there is no one-fits-all solution. In and around menopause, it is even more frustrating… 

Scumspawn, I keep my fingers crossed that all your work with changing eating habits and sports finally yields some noticeable positive and encouraging changes!

Haha, considering my age, and knowing that my kids are 9 and 8 years old … I join you in the group of those that failed on having kids early… at least I'm in good company! :)

I'm afraid of them hitting puberty, and me not being done with all the menopause issues (and I don't mean "just" the physical ones).

Yep, we have managed to sync his puberty with my menopause, at the moment the pill stops most of the symptoms but I've only got 2 years left of having the oestragen component, which is what is stopping the hot flushes etc. At 50 they make you go onto the progesterone only pill, which I should be on anyway with high blood pressure but if I have to live with hot flushes and lack of sleep I would turn into a killer. A very tired killer with bad aim!

Doctors next week, I'll make an appt today

• Like 3
STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Well, maybe the hot flushes will have disappeared by the time you're 50. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I am 49, and so far I got lucky (not taking any hormones), no hot flushes ... but annoyingly unpredictable cycles and strange ways of retaining water, making my weight fluctuate +/- 3 pounds within the same week.  :rolleyes:

Has anyone here already experiences in how long this pre-menopausal show keeps going?

• Like 2

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Well, maybe the hot flushes will have disappeared by the time you're 50. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I am 49, and so far I got lucky (not taking any hormones), no hot flushes ... but annoyingly unpredictable cycles and strange ways of retaining water, making my weight fluctuate +/- 3 pounds within the same week.   :rolleyes:

Has anyone here already experiences in how long this pre-menopausal show keeps going?

I think its partially hereditory - so the age your mum menopaused and the length of time it took is likely to be the same for you.

I've heard of 95 year old women still getting hot flushes  :-( I don't have cycles any more, haven't bled for 2 years so it must be on the way out!

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

My mother had a hysterectomy at 44, and she never experienced any symptoms at all. My gyn says she is convinced (according to my hormone levels) that I will be "fertile until 55."  She literally said that... hm, okay...

Haha, I think nothing would freak out my husband more than me getting unexpectedly pregnant! :D

Okay, it would freak me out, too... 

So would hot flushes until 95...

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

If I drink wine I get more hot flushes. I don't eat much sugar at all to notice a difference.

I've made an appt with the Dr to find out if something else is going on that is stopping me from getting back to a decent weight. I've been looking back on how I have eaten and exercised over the year and I really should be getting somewhere, I feel a bit like I'm fighting to keep standing still.
Next appt is 7th Sept so it's a while but it gives me a chance to chart my blood pressure for a couple of weeks too.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

oh it's all grim.... if you google "reasons for weight gain woman 48" you get link after link about the menopause.

further googling tells me that the fat around the middle is there to store oestragen when your ovaries stop producing it. It seems pretty inevitable to gain weight unless you are lucky enough to have the sort of genes that don't do that. I have meditteranian genes, I am stuffed. I drink soya milk but it might be worth looking into plant oestragens. We have loads of diabetes in the family, so it's not just for vanity reasons I want to keep my weight down.

big fat stinky arsecakes. I dont like having a big tummy.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I don't wish to discourage anyone, but my wife will be 55 this fall and still has an irregular cycle and suffers from hot flashes.  She usually skips goes three or four months between cycles.  Apparently you're officially in menopause when you go 12 months.

• Like 1

Mark...I'd be freaking that I might be having one of those late life babies!

This is a rough time of life!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Uh huh, I'm not sure I'd take an extra seven years of life for PMS, cramps and hot-flashes.....

My parents were both 44 the year I was born, so it was like being raised by my grandparents (literally, I have a nephew who's six months younger than I am).  I've known a couple men who's fathered children at my age (52) or older, I couldn't imagine.....  

• Like 1

Late babies… Gianna Nannini (= she is an Italian rock singer, and a damn good one, imho) got pregnant at 54 and had the baby at 55, and no, she did not do anything to make it happen… the kid is now four or five years old and she is a happy mother. Still, it would freak me out, too. 

I don't think that one is doomed to gaining circumference in the waistline in and around menopause. Let's say I do not want to think this. Just now, I kept googling around, but what I found is contradictory. Some say, of course and inevitable, others say, no, it has to do with insulin resistence, lower metabolism and visceral (not subcutaneous) fat accumulation (similar to PCOS).

In the end, it will be different for each of us.

Maybe the doctor will shed some light on why you're not losing weight! 

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Off topic but my eldest son just smashed his GCSEs (first set of public exams in the UK, at age 16) - 11 A* grades. Very proud of him :D

fantastic! that is great!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Uh huh, I'm not sure I'd take an extra seven years of life for PMS, cramps and hot-flashes.....

My parents were both 44 the year I was born, so it was like being raised by my grandparents (literally, I have a nephew who's six months younger than I am).  I've known a couple men who's fathered children at my age (52) or older, I couldn't imagine.....  

I'd rather eat my own flesh than have another baby at 48. I've only just got my sleep pattern restored from the last one 12 years ago!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Late babies… Gianna Nannini (= she is an Italian rock singer, and a damn good one, imho) got pregnant at 54 and had the baby at 55, and no, she did not do anything to make it happen… 

Sorry, couldn't resist...She must've done SOMETHING to make it happen.....  Yeah, it happened once, but that's it....

:redface-new:  :pirate:  :playful:  :panda:  :orange:  :nonchalance:  :rolleyes-new:

• Like 1

I'm 50, still ovulate like clockwork every 28-29 days, there is no end in sight

Off topic but my eldest son just smashed his GCSEs (first set of public exams in the UK, at age 16) - 11 A* grades. Very proud of him :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to your son! Woohoo!

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Congrats to your son! Woohoo!

Congratulations to your son's achievement! 

Sorry, couldn't resist...She must've done SOMETHING to make it happen.....  Yeah, it happened once, but that's it....

:redface-new:  :pirate:  :playful:  :panda:  :orange:  :nonchalance:  :rolleyes-new:

Gah… of course, something will have happened… lol

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Congras ro your son, pirate.

Yeah, perimenapase sucks, it is super hard to get the extra fat off. But not impossible. I lost several inches and about 3 dress sizes. Truth, I still have a bit more fluff than my ideal, but I like the way my clothes fit, I can move how I want, and I'm strong, so I'm happy. Every time I think I've passed into full menopause, seems like I get a surprise shark week.

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'm a bit sad right now …  still could not sign up for NF Yoga, and the time runs out. The system has registered me, but the payment didn't go through, so now if I try to repeat the process, the system tells me I'm registered but I can't log on (probably because of the payment). 

They told me I can pay with PayPal, but of all possibilities, PayPal is the one I would NEVER give my data. I consider PayPal not trustworthy at all, and their policies on treating data from private people are in my eyes impudent. One basically agrees to have them dig in all your financial affairs. Ugh. Talk about protection of privacy...

Now I am hoping that the folks at NF Yoga find an alternative. *praying*

It is just one of those things that seem to be hallmarks of my life… :-/

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Yeah, perimenapase sucks, it is super hard to get the extra fat off. But not impossible. I lost several inches and about 3 dress sizes. Truth, I still have a bit more fluff than my ideal, but I like the way my clothes fit, I can move how I want, and I'm strong, so I'm happy. Every time I think I've passed into full menopause, seems like I get a surprise shark week.

what is your secret ? :-)

I'm resigned to never being a size 10 again, that is fine, but somewhere in between 12 and 14 would be great, I've just bought a pair of size 16 trousers and that makes me very sad!

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

what is your secret ? :-)

I'm resigned to never being a size 10 again, that is fine, but somewhere in between 12 and 14 would be great, I've just bought a pair of size 16 trousers and that makes me very sad!

Oh man, I know what you feel… been there myself.

Maybe there are possibilities to keep the perimenopausal show somewhat contained even if you would not take the pill. You should definitely ask your doctor about that.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Scumspawn: Sorry no super secret. I know you have been working hard at it. It's not just about  calories, it is also about getting your hormones better balanced. I did do low- Carb Palo to lose the weight, but here are some other things hormononally that probably helped

I used some natural progesterone cream- Dr. John Lee's book -Everything You Need to Know About  Perimenopause has good suggestions for which one (I think there may be a website) he is anti meat, so ignore that part if you read the book, mine is Pro-gests from Emerita, I buy it off of Amazon

Sleep- as much as I needed, now I average about 8 hours, but when I first tried to de-stress myself it was about 9 hours average;

quit  trying to be super woman and make my family help around the house more often, say no to doing things more often, remember to take care of myself too

Bodyweight workouts

Lots of walking

Ditched the soy milk, it messes with hormones big time

Cut way back on sugar  and add in fat

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Scumspawn: Sorry no super secret. I know you have been working hard at it. It's not just about  calories, it is also about getting your hormones better balanced. I did do low- Carb Palo to lose the weight, but here are some other things hormononally that probably helped

I used some natural progesterone cream- Dr. John Lee's book -Everything You Need to Know About  Perimenopause has good suggestions for which one (I think there may be a website) he is anti meat, so ignore that part if you read the book, mine is Pro-gests from Emerita, I buy it off of Amazon

Sleep- as much as I needed, now I average about 8 hours, but when I first tried to de-stress myself it was about 9 hours average;

quit  trying to be super woman and make my family help around the house more often, say no to doing things more often, remember to take care of myself too

Bodyweight workouts

Lots of walking

Ditched the soy milk, it messes with hormones big time

Cut way back on sugar  and add in fat

I have to show this to my wife.  She's been super frustrated over inability to lose weight (meaning of course lose fat).  She did some dumb bell complexes (which she found to be a brutal workout) a couple months ago for about a month or so and saw no change, not in the scale, not in her clothes, nothing, so she stopped doing them.  

She's like me, prefers not to take stuff if she can help it, but maybe this is something to ask her gyn about.

Low carb high fat paleo rocks - it has helped me so much, too!

Before that I was set on 196 pounds, believing I would hang there for the rest of my days.

Scumspawn, I am sure there is a way that works for you, too! 

For the low carb high fat part, there is a website that has helped me tremendously: dietdoctor.com . It is in English. Mark, maybe this would be a good read for your wife?

I know, it probably comes across as advertising :redface:, but for me it was literally life-saving, therefore my enthusiasm.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO