Forums are back in action! ×

A big hello from the UK!

Hello to all the newbies and all those who welcome the newbies in!  :nevreness:

A little history...(I'll try and keep it brief but I warn you now, I ain't that good at brief...)

I've always been a bit of a yo yo dieter and have spent most of my adult life either a normal-ish weight but convinced I'm huge or heading towards huge but desperately trying to convince myself I'm normal. Then about 3 years ago my mum was diagnosed with Cervical Cancer. During the optimistic times it didn't impact on my weight at all, but during the hellish last few months of her life and the following 8 months or so after she died, I managed to reach the heaviest I had ever been. 

At the beginning of February this year I decided enough was enough with the excuses and started to do something about it. I kinda accidentally became an intermittent faster. I say accidentally because I was already not eating till I came home from work during the week, as I've never been great at the breakfast thing and my job doesn't allow much time for taking a break (and therefore eating). I just made the change from coming home and eating what the hell I liked, to counting calories and making an effort to eat more healthy foods. I'm now a committed intermittent faster, even on the weekends! 

Since February I have lost 4 stone (do we do stones/pounds or kg here?) and more importantly (and ever so excitingly), for the first time EVER, I have experienced a shift in my mental approach to all this.  It's no longer all about weight loss. The health and fitness thing has finally become the number one priority. Yay!

Where I am now...

Weight - I currently have a goal to lose another 10 pounds but it's not set in stone (boom boom). I'm very close to the "official" target weight for my height (about 5 pounds) , but I'm aware that if I stick with the weight training stuff I may have to ignore all previous thinking on the subject anyway, so we'll just see how things go. 

Exercise - I started trying to exercise more about 3 months ago. At the beginning I was just walking on my treadmill, with a definite goal of using up a few calories and a vague goal of maybe being able to run at some point. When I started running (or sloooooowly jogging) I could only manage a couple of minutes, but now I'm running 20-25 minutes out of 30 (depending on how much sleep I've had. Seriously, I can't believe how much of an impact that has!) I usually run 15-20 minutes continuously, then any extra is done in 2 or 3 minute intervals. I'm still working on it. At the moment the goal is just to run continuously. So I shall keep suspiciously quiet about distance and speed.  :redface-new:  

Weight training - this is all new to me! Again, I kinda accidentally happened upon it. I just thought it made sense to throw a little bit of it in there. Then I started reading a few articles about the benefit of weight training for women and realised that the little bit I had thrown in was probably the wrong kind of little bit, and that somehow led me to Nerd Fitness. 

My goals...

1. To follow the Nerd Academy Body Weight programme. (I want to get straight into lifting weights but I'm being sensible and taking it slow *chants* Take it slow, take it slow, take it slow. I want to be able to do a push up. That's my more specific goal. At the moment I'm inclining, significantly...)
  2. To increase the variety of vegetables/healthy options in my diet. (I'm an incredibly fussy eater. It's more of a life long phobia of new textures/tastes, but I'm working on it). 
  3. To sleep 7-8 hours every night! (Weekends are fine but I'm rubbish at going to bed on work nights. I have to bring work home in the evenings too, so I find myself going to bed late because I want to hang out on the internet or read a good book).
  4. To drink more. Lots more. I drink mainly water (part of being a fussy eater rather than a healthy choice, but hey) but for some reason I struggle to drink much at all. I'm sat here with a half litre bottle of water. It's glaring at me. I'm trying to avoid eye contact with it. 
  5. To be brief. Nah, never gonna happen.

So, I'm just gonna potter around for a while and get my bearings. You lot can't half chatter.  :nevreness:

• Like 1

6 Week Challenge - 18 DB workouts

11%
11%

6 Week Challenge - 12 30 minute runs

8%
8%

2015 Weight Loss Goal - 14 lbs

79%
79%

Introduction

Current Challenge

whoo hoo, another UK nerd ..... this board is multi-national multi-gender so we use every unit of measurement known to man and beast ... err and woman .. and others for which there are many 

where in the UK are you ?

nice progress so far and goals :D

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

Hello Eleanorsbee (does a quick spell check). I'm just outside Boston, over on the east coast. One of the flattest places known to man (and woman and beast and others  :nevreness: ) .... so no running up hills for me. I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad about that? 

11%
11%

8%
8%

79%
79%

Introduction

Current Challenge

Hey there fellow limey! Greetings from the Wild West of London. Welcome aboard! The original and best Boston, eh! Good stuff, and good luck on your quest!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Looking at your 40 liters of water goal I kind of fear you drowning on the last day, if you've been procrastinating. :tongue:

Hahahaha! 

If it gets to that stage, I will just sneakily edit my signature to "40 litres of vodka". May as well go out with a bang. :D 

11%
11%

8%
8%

79%
79%

Introduction

Current Challenge