Forums are back in action! ×

It occurs to me that I haven't introduced myself...

I answered a post someone referred to on IRC earlier, and then another, and I realized that while I'm active in #nerdfitness, I don't spend much time on the forums and haven't introduced myself here.  Hello!

My name is Susan, though I'm better-known in the open source world as "HedgeMage".  In legend, a "hedge mage" was a usually-rural magic user who learned by experimentation, as opposed to the ivory-tower formal education of "proper" wizards.  Given that I'm a farm-raised hacker who learned her trade on the internet by experimenting and with the informal help of others, it seemed to fit.

Nerd Cred:

• Long-time open-source software hacker.
  • Full-time infosec geek.
  • Has been in swordfights with Eric S. Raymond.
  • Has studied weird martial arts including Apache tomahawk fighting and an experimental modern Army knife-fighting style.
  • Plays too many strategy board games and tabletop RPGs.
  • Occasional PC gamer (thanks to my son and my SO getting me into things).
  • The kind of mom who thinks lockpicks make a fantastic 12th Bday gift.

Why I'm Here

I work a desk job, but outside of work I'm an insanely active mom, martial artist, backpacker, and search-and-rescue worker.  Despite all this, a hormone disorder has kept me obese for the entirety of my adult life.  I picked up weightlifting after I moved and joined a new SAR team wherein I was the strongest member and it scared the @#$% out of me, and I've had a great time building muscle with it.  A few months ago, the hormone thing was finally diagnosed and we began treatment, so I'm finally having an easier time losing fat.

Other Stuff

Luckily for me, I'm a crazy, slightly obsessive adrenaline junkie, so I tend to run headlong into things that are hard for me, including my workouts.

I find sportsball of all flavors inane as hell, but I love martial arts and would love to become better at climbing.

I'm quite friendly, so don't hesitate to say 'hi' here or on IRC.

Susan

P.S. -- Especially contact me if you live near Bloomington, Indiana and would like a lifting buddy.

• Like 1

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info