Forums are back in action! ×

Book Discussion Group?

Kes

Is there any interest in having a discussion thread regarding a particular book, where we read along together and have discussions as we go (or complete)? Maybe a new book each month or every couple of weeks, depending on how much time people have to read?

We could do current events, sci-fi/fantasy/speculative fiction, history, what have you.  Any suggestions/ideas? It doesn't look as if this has been seriously tried in a while.

Sounds great! I have a list of books for myself already for this year, but I'd be willing to see what is picked out. Choosing books is always hard because some people have already read, or want to see particular books, but hopefully we can find something. 

My crazy list of books for 2016 can be found here

I think any book club should include Level Up Your Life... Just saying

• Like 2

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

Sounds great! I have a list of books for myself already for this year, but I'd be willing to see what is picked out. Choosing books is always hard because some people have already read, or want to see particular books, but hopefully we can find something. 

My crazy list of books for 2016 can be found here

I think any book club should include Level Up Your Life... Just saying

If the Oceans Were Ink sounds like it would be great, and it's definitely topical right now.

You have an awesome list!

If the Oceans Were Ink sounds like it would be great, and it's definitely topical right now.

You have an awesome list!

Yeah it will probably be one of the first I get. I think it sounds interesting both from the description of the book and the reviews as well. I tried to vary between genres and styles (A few graphic novels/books in there as well)

Quite a few are award winners (though not always the most well known awards) and just some books I've wanted to read for awhile

Also just added a bunch more because I had a crazy idea of reading a book a week (or the equivalent there of) so that list + the books from the family book club (normally 8)

Try not, do or do not- Yoda

I'd be down for an actual discussion book club. In fact, I clicked on the forum link hoping to find just that. I don't read nearly as much as I used to, and a book club on here might function for me a bit like Accountabilibuddies does for some people and fitness-type things.

I also chime in support for a 4 week cycle to coincide with the new challenge schedule. That seems like long enough to allow for life getting in the way at times, but short enough that the deadline(s) can be motivating. Then again, I tend to keep going once I get going, especially if it's a good book, and have been known to devour my favourites in a couple of days. So.......

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Yessssss Book Club for the win!

(Just a warning, I can devour a book in under two hours. I read the entire Discworld series in a month. I had a splitting headache afterwards :P )

But following along the 4WC sounds like a great idea! I'm always totally willing to provide options, though I would suggest that we don't go for really obscure books. If I don't own it, it needs to be in the Library, and they don't own every book. Perhaps if it could also be found online?

Also, discussions as we go would probably be the best idea, and means everyone sticks along at a similar sort of pace. Oooh, this could be so much fun!

• Like 1

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest

Guess it's time to choose a book, everybody?

I'm still really interested in If the Oceans Were Ink.  Other possibilities I've heard are good include The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,  The Fault in Our Stars, and The Girl on the Train. I think most of those should be available via most public libraries (through loan if nothing else), since they're not obscure and are relatively recent and popular publications.

So let's do it this way. Before January 4, everybody post which of those they're most interested in reading, and I'll start a new thread for whatever book gets the most votes. Maybe we can use this thread to discuss what books the group should read in the future.

I'm going to say If the Oceans were Ink, and then maybe The Girl on the Train, if other people have good reviews of it (the goodreads site was not the most forgiving of it).

Panda  

Hobbit | Drifter | Level 3

STR 6 | DEX 5 | STA 2 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 2

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Training | Challenge 1 2 3 4 | Epic Quest