Forums are back in action! ×

How To Handle Your Girlfriend Kicking Your Ass

So, to be fair, I haven't been athletic in a long time, and it's never been THAT big of a focus in my life.

And she's still adorable and has no abs whatsoever and doesn't know proper form in basically anything. She can't do a single sit ups. I can at least do ten really proper ones.

And to be FAIR, she weighs like two friggin pounds (102 lbs. TINY.)

But still.

She used to be on track and got awards for it, so my ego was only lightly muffled when she ran laps around me at the track. I never did track or anything like it. I ran a 100 meter race once in 2nd grade, does that count?

And then she got a pull up bar. And I explained pull ups to her, and showed her a video. I mean, I know the basic stuff, I've watched fitness videos, I've gone to the gym to get in shape before (the phases didn't last long, since I was doing it for the wrong reasons).

And she's like, "Oh, like this?"

And does SEVEN PERFECT ON-POINT FORM FULL ROTATION COLLARBONE ABOVE THE BAR PULL UPS IN A ROW.

Not chin ups. Not slow. Not dropping down.

Perfect. Fucking. Pull-ups.

I've never successfully pulled myself up TWO INCHES. And she's NEVER TRIED before.

And then she can also do like 50 perfect push ups. And her dedication is insanely focused, already. And she's like the master of adorable pictures in her posts, so everyone's crazy about her, and I AM THE SLIGHTEST BIT GRUMBLY and also grouchy about working on pull ups because I'm SORE, I have a SORE EGO.

Gaaaaaaaah.

Either the world is evil and unfair, I seriously need to get my butt in gear, or I made an awesome choice in terms of girlfriend. Probably all three?

Mreh.

• Like 1

To share your weakness is to make yourself vulnerable; to make yourself vulnerable is to show your strength.â€

WingedWolf Challenges | 1st | Current

~ Library ~

Yeah, don't I know it.

I think you more than anyone on here have a pretty good idea of how intensely I appreciate and love that girl. You've commented on all my Big Why and goal stuff, after all.

BUT MAN.

SEVEN PULL UPS. 

• Like 1

To share your weakness is to make yourself vulnerable; to make yourself vulnerable is to show your strength.â€

WingedWolf Challenges | 1st | Current

~ Library ~

Yeah, don't I know it.

I think you more than anyone on here have a pretty good idea of how intensely I appreciate and love that girl. You've commented on all my Big Why and goal stuff, after all.

BUT MAN.

SEVEN PULL UPS.

Haha, I can't even do one pull up...yet. She's pretty hard core. I like it! :D

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

Enjoy the challenge!

Oldest Advice ever: leave your EGO at the door!

Enjoy the shared activities instead. And maybe insist on activities that suit your body composition better from time to time. How about wrestling? 

• Like 1

Fate whispers to the warrior: "You cannot withstand the storm."

The warrior whispers back:
 "
I am the storm."

When your girlfriend other starts throwing telephone poles and hammers around do what I do: put on a skirt and cheer.

It's only a skirt if you wear panties under it!  I only wear boots under mine!

As for butt kicked by significant others, my wife tossed me through the air during our first Aikido class.  She performed the throw perfectly.  It wasn't what we were learning and practicing, but she still performed it perfectly.

Mind you, I was 6'2" and 225 of solid muscle.  She was 5'2" and 120 soaking wet.  It's rather disheartening for a sensei to laugh at your misfortune...

• Like 4

My girlfriend runs CIRCLES around me when it comes to cardio and flexibility, definitely stings the ego a bit when you can't even try to compete.

But then again I whoop her ass when it comes to weight training, so balances.

Either way it tends to work out perfectly because we have a lot we can teach each other. Just encourage her to keep going and take it as a learning experience more than a competition :)

• Like 1

healthy competition can be awesome! Draw inspiration out of it!

Not sure if this applies, but its a body weight exersise, to that means your body weight counts for the diffuculty, If she is healthy and has little to no weight to her otherwise, that might help her in out performing you, if you have more weight to pull up?

Wandering Monk | Instagram
(Still reading up on how all these stats work)

"There is no greater joy than walking the world, writing your story.
It is the wanderer's way" - Chen Stormstout

Not sure if this applies, but its a body weight exersise, to that means your body weight counts for the diffuculty, If she is healthy and has little to no weight to her otherwise, that might help her in out performing you, if you have more weight to pull up?

Yes!  I train with a woman who can kick my arse doing a short arm hang or skin the cats, but can't base in acro/aerial AT ALL.  She's super slender with next to no body fat, I'm *ahem* stocky with hips and arse and boobs so struggle more holding my bodyweight but can base way better.

It's hard, but try not to directly compare yourself to her.  My sister took up aerial circus after I introduced her to it, and I struggle with similar things to you - luckily we focus on different bits of equipment which avoids direct comparisons and "it's not fair, she's not been doing this as long and is better at x".  Plus long term you might find things change - you might build muscle more easily than she does, or discover that you're more flexible than her :)

Fiona - Assassin

Horses ~ Circus ~ Rats ~ Genetics

Four week challenges: 1 2 3 (Failed) 4 5

Current challenge: Here

BTDT, most of the more hetero-normal men I've dated have freaked out to some degree when they found out exactly how much stronger I was than them, or how much better at martial arts.  Some made it through that, some didn't.  I rather like a good friend's take on it:

"She could kill me...but I can make her want to fuck me..."  (usually followed by something between a lusty stare and a look of awe and pride)

Mind you, strength and MA are my strong suits.  I've had plenty of partners who can kick my ass in other areas (flexibility, endurance, etc.) or who have strength in areas I'm weak (grip) or who just plain outclass me even at the things I'm good at.  The one who most impressed me, though, was a guy I dated whom I talked into joining me for working with my personal trainer because I was worried about how his not working out was impacting his on-the-job safety.  I thought I'd done a good job talking to my trainer ahead of time and scaling back.  Workout one, I thought my sweetie was going to pass out.  Workout two, I had to pull over twice on the way home for him to puke.  Yet, he never gave me crap about it or got butthurt/insecure...he just kept coming, session after session.  He got quite a bit fitter in that time, and earned my respect and admiration many times over for the way he stuck with it and was such a supportive workout partner even though we were working at different levels.

Just a thought...what does it look like from your partner's side when you stick with it and don't take an ego bruising over her being good at something?

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info