Forums are back in action! ×

Turning it off and on again....

I haven't checked to see how long it's been since I logged in here - but I'm back.  I think realizing my "go to" dress for spring weddings being too small was a real wake up call.  I went to wedding last night in WORK CLOTHES.  Yes - they were "appropriate" because I have to look professional for work (I'll get to that) - but the realization that the largest "fitted" thing in my closet (as opposed to lots of stretchy - which is great for my travel job) makes me realize enough is enough!

I'm tired of being tired. I'm tired of my clothes not fitting right.  I'm tired of my "little" health complaints all being able to point the finger directly at my weight.  My cardiologist was awesome, understanding and enlightening, but I could boil down our entire conversation to him telling me to get off my fat a$$.  He didn't SAY that of course - but that was the gist!  When I got back to my jeep I had a little chuckle with that realization - then a good cry.....

I am the type of person that likes to go RIGHT to level 5 (so I can cast fireballs!) in my life and not want to take the time grinding through the mazes killing rats - but I burn out when I do that - so I'm here to grind through those early levels and EARN THE RIGHT to cast fireball!

So - a bit about me.  I'm 43 (ok, 44 in 2 weeks).  I'm in IT (a consultant implementing my employer's solution which integrates into a ton of client systems - but my background is heavy into web application development, database design\implementation with a smattering of system administration - I'm a swiss army knife of IT). I've been overweight most of my life.  I say most because I wasn't really overweight until after college - but I THOUGHT I was overweight.  I was really just muscular.  OH to be the "huge" body I thought I had at 22!  Anyway - after college (where I actually did tons of walking and made use of the college gym) I went to work in the corporate IT world.  There were fits and spurts in there where I'd workout regularly - but that really stopped when I got that production support job where I was working 80+ hour weeks.  Even though I left that job a LOOOONG time ago (and swore I'd NEVER do that again - and I haven't - long term at least) - I've never been able to kick-start any meaningful routine that didn't ultimately end up with me packing on pounds.

Now, I have a job where I travel 50 - 75% of the time.  I've been doing this for just over 3 years now.  I'm due (barring upper management saying "no") for a promotion next week (Yay - level up at work!) which will help on the financial front (that's another novel LOL).  This will be where I want to stay for a while - so it's time to level up the fitness area of my life which will in turn help me level up my professional career.  If for no other reason to help me feel comfortable walking into a conference room full of Fortune 500 management wearing clothes that I know look good ON me so I can bedazzle them from the first second rather than only when I've shown them that I not only know my stuff, I can run tech circles around their staff (an important ability for an IT consultant LOL).  Oh - and schlepping through airports and fitting comfortably in airplane seats.  I am thankfully petite (i.e. SHORT) - so although I'm REALLY overweight - I have never needed a belt extender.  Still - losing 50 pounds would make those bulk head seats (on the rare occasion I can't avoid them) more comfortable....

So - bring on that first challenge!  I'm in!

And look for some really complex goals that branch between when I'm home and on the road.  I think I'll have to do "choose your adventure" style goals :)

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Welcome to the Rebellion! I'm new here and also a fellow Technomancer (I'm a software developer with a passion for Agile methodologies and process improvement). :-) 

I'm also on a quest to get more fit while working a desk job. I hope to incorporate better habits into my workday like trying out a standing desk, taking frequent breaks to move around, and making lunches on the weekends so I don't get tempted to skip or go unhealthy. 

I imagine that so much travelling will have its own set of challenges to overcome in terms of food choices and exercise options. If you haven't seen it, here's an awesome article about staying in shape while travelling: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/25/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/

Cheers! 

My Character

Challenges: Current | First | 2 | 3

Dreamspin - that's pretty close to my plan.  Body Weight workouts + a fitness band in my bag.  I re-upped my Daily Burn so I can have a variety "class" workout easily accessible on my laptop.

I just need to take baby steps and WORK that plan :)

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).