Forums are back in action! ×

I've lost 20lb. since August?

Huh.

So here's how the story goes: My work did a "weight loss challenge" that I was curious about, but not really interested ("I don't go to the gym" I said, and I have family members with previous eating/weight loss disorders, so I don't diet either). Well, a team needed a 5th, so I decided why not and dropped the deposit money for it. I wasn't really worried about my weight, mind, and it's one of those gimmicks where the team that loses the most wins $10K, which I also wasn't going to win, but if it helps other people out, that really is the large motivator for me.

This meant getting an "official weigh-in" at a gym, which is right next door to work (see: giant gaggle of people wandering in for this). Oh, we get a free personal training session for this, 'eh? Ok, sure. Oh, you have a starter package for $99 for 3 sessions? Why not. Oh, my trainer's actually pretty cool and just showed me how to deadlift? And well, if I'm going to make the attempt, maybe I should look into actually doing challenges on NerdFitness as opposed to just reading blog posts...

Uh oh.

So, I lost about 10lb during the 3 month challenge window (yeah, really didn't get that $10K), but at that point I'd gotten the full package personal training sessions, was learning to eat WAY better (whut up, nutrition macros?), feeling better, and here's the kicker: I'd been on a self imposed 10lb weight restriction for 4 years prior - pushing, pulling, lifting, any of these things resulted in a hydradenitis flare up, and I was tired of having surgery. And tired or not being able to do anything. And tired of being tired.

So the last 10 pounds aren't surprising I suppose, but part of the weight loss challenge was that if you kept off 10% of your original weight, you'd get your deposit back. I just checked and I'm at 14%, so woot :)

Also, 155lb deadlift, and arm exercises that once triggered flare ups aren't anymore, because I've learned how to use the muscle sets and which ones to avoid :D

• Like 3